Should I get a Powkiddy V90?

theoldmototoad50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been looking for a cheap chinese console emulator thing that has loads of different emulators. Is the Powkiddy V90 good? I've seen good feedback from reviews by The Retro Future and RetroDodo. Does anyone else have it and is it good or not? Thanks

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with that particular device, but I can attest to the fact that 90% of those things are garbage. It's probably in your best interest to look into a modded PS Vita, PSP, or 3DS for portable console emulation, and for the home, the original Xbox, Wii, Wii U and Switch all have amazing emulation/homebrew scenes.

The main reason is because homebrew developers usually make these applications and emulators primarily for themselves, often releasing it to others as a courtesy, and to get feedback from others more experienced developing for the console they're working on. This almost always results in a quality product with care, and attention to detail in its function. That's part of what makes the homebrew scene for consoles so successful in the first place- the passion.

With a Chinese emulation device like the ones you get on Alibaba/Aliexpress and Wish.com, they're mass-produced with the sole purpose of making a profit. This often means cut corners in software and hardware, and a device that'll have shoddy emulation with little to no configuration options, meaning you're stuck with whatever prefab configuration they set you up with, almost always being untested and.. bad.

If you are looking for something to keep hooked up to a TV and play, I'd just recommend a modded Nintendo Wii, they're one of the easiest consoles to hack even for complete beginners, they have an insane homebrew scene stretching back for decades, and a crazy wide list of systems emulated with great compatibility.
If the Wii's lack of native HDMI support turns you off, the Wii U does have HDMI and progressive output without component cables, and supports almost all of the Wii homebrew natively.

For the portable side, it's a little more limited, but you can't go wrong with the PSP or 3DS. I don't have any personal experience with the Vita, so I can't talk about it much-- but the PSP is a bit more of an emulation powerhouse than the 3DS, with it handling PS1 games natively, and the 3DS struggling with most 64-bit era stuff. Although the 3DS has better support for Genesis stuff than the PSP for... some weird reason.

MorpheuZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I actually own a Powkiddy V90 and I must say, it's quite a versatile little handheld and it holds up just fine.
Just don't expect it to play PS1 titles and other systems that require a bit of juice to emulate, without issues.

It holds charge very well and fits nicely in your pocket.
The form factor is just what you expect. It's basically a GBA SP with tactile buttons and shoulder buttons which are
as responsive as you'd expect.

It's a nice detail that it charges with USB-C as well.
The one I bought came with a crappy micro-sd card that held the firmware and a variety of
shitty chinese rom collections, that's easily replaced.
I would recommend that you replace the firmware with this: https://github.com/TriForceX/MiyooCFW

It's actually a nice device and well worth the money.

hecker_isaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id say go for it, i just bought one, hasnt come yet but i just bought it yesterday, lots of CFW options for it!
Post automatically merged:

id say go for it, i just bought one, hasnt come yet but i just bought it yesterday, lots of CFW options for it!

unhappydais

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi, I've been looking for a cheap chinese console emulator thing that has loads of different emulators. Is the Powkiddy V90 good? I've seen good feedback from reviews by The Retro Future and RetroDodo. Does anyone else have it and is it good or not? Thanks
3 years late, just bought a powkiddy v90 and it's fucking amazing, of course there's some errors and some problems, mainly with psx emulation (obviously) and a little with snes emulation too... BUT every other platform runs flawlessly, u just need to install the miyoo custom firmware and then you'll be ready to go ;3
For the other options, such as a modded psp or vita, the vita is better no doubt, but expensive as fuck so you might as well just use your phone then, although the best thing about the vita is the psx, psp and obviously vita games that run natively almost.
the 3ds can't run that much but it's nice you could do the same with a 2ds so it's less expensive AND the Wii U and Switch do have a way better emulation and homebrew scene, but i assume you came here to get a portable device... have fun :3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"