Hacking Should I get a GBA x5 or a EZ Flash Omega ‘Definitive Edition’?

sp957

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at the features, and it seems like the EZ Flash Omega "Definitive Edition" (or ODE) is like the GBA x5 but with some added features like Dual Mode, DS RAM Expansion, and GBA-to-DS transfers (believe this is used for Gen 3 to Gen 4 Pokemon Games). I don't really intend to use those features.

I mostly play basic games (Marios, side scrollers, RPGs, SNES/NES remakes for GBA) and Pokemon games (so I will need RTC).

Here are the features I do want.

(1) I would like to replace my Everdrive GBx7 with a "GBA Sized Cart" because I play all my GB/GBC games on a GBA SP anyways and the GBx7 sticks out. Both the GBA x5 and ODE say they support GB/GBC games via emulation. Is the emulation pretty good?

Also, I am curious if any of these carts support RTC for GB/GBC (particularly Pokemon Silver/Gold/Crystal) games (maybe via some patching)? Not an absolute requirement here as I have original copies of Silver and Crystal with a working battery atm.

Will the GB/GBC Pokemon games be playable using the built in emulator and can you do trades without losing your save?

(2) I would like RTC (berries and time based events in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) and the ability to do GBA to GBA trades (e.g. trade Pokemon on original Pokemon Ruby Cart to/from Pokemon Ruby on a Flash Cart). Is this possible?

I currently use the old white EZ-Flash IV patched with 2.05. Which works pretty well, but no RTC and my battery is running low.

I'm a Krikzz fanboy, so I like to support him whenever I can. Especially when both flash carts are around $100.

I am leaning towards the GBAx5, but I'm afraid there's going to be a x7 release soon (even though Krikkz said he doesn't have plans to).

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at the features, and it seems like the EZ Flash Omega "Definitive Edition" (or ODE) is like the GBA x5 but with some added features like Dual Mode, DS RAM Expansion, and GBA-to-DS transfers (believe this is used for Gen 3 to Gen 4 Pokemon Games). I don't really intend to use those features.

I mostly play basic games (Marios, side scrollers, RPGs, SNES/NES remakes for GBA) and Pokemon games (so I will need RTC).

Here are the features I do want.

(1) I would like to replace my Everdrive GBx7 with a "GBA Sized Cart" because I play all my GB/GBC games on a GBA SP anyways and the GBx7 sticks out. Both the GBA x5 and ODE say they support GB/GBC games via emulation. Is the emulation pretty good?

Also, I am curious if any of these carts support RTC for GB/GBC (particularly Pokemon Silver/Gold/Crystal) games (maybe via some patching)? Not an absolute requirement here as I have original copies of Silver and Crystal with a working battery atm.

Will the GB/GBC Pokemon games be playable using the built in emulator and can you do trades without losing your save?

(2) I would like RTC (berries and time based events in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) and the ability to do GBA to GBA trades (e.g. trade Pokemon on original Pokemon Ruby Cart to/from Pokemon Ruby on a Flash Cart). Is this possible?

I currently use the old white EZ-Flash IV patched with 2.05. Which works pretty well, but no RTC and my battery is running low.

I'm a Krikzz fanboy, so I like to support him whenever I can. Especially when both flash carts are around $100.

I am leaning towards the GBAx5, but I'm afraid there's going to be a x7 release soon (even though Krikkz said he doesn't have plans to).
EZ-Flash Omega Definative Edition hands down

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everdrive is nice, but @EZ-Flash2 has nicer support. A great team. Also, fram for saving, so saving is more stable and power-efficient. Ezflash has open source OS, that means devs can easily create their own OS for the cart. Ezflash has a long history in the gba scene. I have an everdrive x5 (not mini) and just got the ezflash omega DE. I’ll be selling my everdrive.

Reactions: Sterophonick

GBCandAguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you even find an x5? The Krikkz kit seems to always be sold out, I have an x3 for the gameboy and since I got that they all seem to be sold out (with x3 being discontinued)

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you even find an x5? The Krikkz kit seems to always be sold out, I have an x3 for the gameboy and since I got that they all seem to be sold out (with x3 being discontinued)

Allthough it's a Necrobump, OP was asking about the GBA x5 vs. the ODE (i.e. GBA flashcards), not the GB x5.

The GBA x5 (mini) is the only everdrive that exists for GBA and it is still available for purchase:
https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartridges/everdrive-gba-x5-mini.html

It seems that the GB x5 is discontinued as well as the GB x3, though - with only the GB x7 still available. The only budget-friendly alterantive currently available for the GB is the EZFlash Jr.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It seems that the GB x5 is discontinued as well as the GB x3, though - with only the GB x7 still available. The only budget-friendly alterantive currently available for the GB is the EZFlash Jr.
They are still listed in the official store. Where did get that from?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr