Gaming Should I download as 1:1

kai445

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to purchase a 1TB Seagate FreeAgent Go drive to complement my Wii (to replace the old 400GB drive I have attached by a SATA-USB cable) so I was pondering... since I'm going to have so much space anyway, would it be stupid of me to just download 1:1 rips of games instead of the scrubbed versions?

- I have plenty of bandwidth, so download speed isn't an issue.
- I have plenty of storage on my PC, so storage isn't an issue.
- I don't think I'll need to store over 200 games on the FreeAgent drive, so space there isn't an issue. (And by the time I find 220+ games I like and have to have and outgrow the drive, I'm sure buying a larger external wont be an issue).

So this begs the question... What are the obvious upsides to grabbing the 1:1 copies instead of the scrubbed rips? Anyone seriously think Ninty will check for 1:1 copies in the future, cause then I'd be ahead of the curve...

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anyone seriously think Ninty will check for 1:1 copies in the future, cause then I'd be ahead of the curve...

probably not ... and if so you could always download em at that time

but for now I'd say just dl the scrubbed ones. Maybe bandwith may not be a problem, but I can assure you it takes a bit longer to download 200 1:1 games then 200 scrubed ones
biggrin.gif

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing to worry about in regards to 1:1 copies right now. If the Wii HD (or whatever the next console is) eventually becomes hacked, then it seems likely that only 1:1 copies will work with the system. Apart from archival purposes, this is the only real reason that I can see to download all 4.36GB worth.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how would the wii2 ever know if a game was a real 1:1 copy? is it going to read the entire 4GB disc and do a hash check and send it off to a server somewhere to verify it before letting you play the game? i dont see how they could even be able to tell if you have a 1:1 copy otherwise.

and people that keep 1:1 copies of games do it for completeness' sake. why would these people bother to keep all that useless garbage data but not buy the original game so they get the box, real stamped disc, instruction book, ect?

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
how would the wii2 ever know if a game was a real 1:1 copy? is it going to read the entire 4GB disc and do a hash check and send it off to a server somewhere to verify it before letting you play the game? i dont see how they could even be able to tell if you have a 1:1 copy otherwise.
Obviously everything I said is theoretical, but it makes sense for Nintendo. I think you're overlooking the fact that a quick check (two or three lines of code) can be performed to see if a game has been Trucha-signed or if the newer 0xFF method was used.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its all personal choice, scrubbed and 1:1 run the same. and if you don't ever change your console, you will have a library of over 1000 games to choose from. i prefer 1:1 others prefer scrubbed. personal preference is the only matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water