Hardware Should I color my Wii?

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres the deal, I've got a PS3, a 360 Elite and a Nintendo Wii in the little stand under my TV. Everything is black except the Wii. I was wondering what the Wii would look like colored with a black sharpie. Would it look like complete crap or might it be alright? I assume noone has done it before so idk. I know you can get black cases but this would be a much cheaper and faster way to do it.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A moderately skilled person could spray paint it fairly easily. However there are two problems associated with this: 1) It would involve disassembling your Wii, by which point you may as well buy a new case, it would look far better. 2) The buttons on the fron would remain white. If you were able to spray them, then you would lose the writing on each, describing its function.

My vote would be for vinyl stickers, seems like the cheapest bet, yet still looking decent. I got mine from www.decalgirl.com

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I've done sprays, decals and many case changes.

Decals are a waste, they start to peel after a month or two. Also if you don't align them right they look shit, or you can purchase a shoddily cut decal.

Spraying is too much of a pain and as somebody pointed out, you lose to symbols of the front. If you fuck it up it's more difficult to rectify.

Full case changes take longer, but there are very detailed tutorials that if you follow them to the letter then you can't fuck up!! I get greater satisfaction out of a case change and it looks better.

Currently I'm the proud owner of a camouflage Wii (and wiimote) and an XCM Hot Rock colour changing Wii. Can't get that shit with spraying or decals!!

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The decals I got from the site above have been on my Wii for 18 months plus, and have not started to peel or curl at all. Its all about the quality of the vinyl, and how you clean the surface before you apply the decals.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
The tut's for disaassembly/re-assembly are very detailed. As long as you separate the screws as you go along (I use an ice cube tray marked with step numbers) then you should be fine. Just don't get impatient, it's a long process but the end result looks cool and is well worth it. You get a top sense of achievement at the end

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow.....sharpie???? you didn't think that through very well did you?
tongue.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely give it a go with the Sharpie and post pics.

If you don't like the way it looks, no problem! Just go over it with Tipp-Ex (or Wite-Out for our American friends) and it'll be back to normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it