Should I buy? Xbox 360 Slim vs. PS3 Slim

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by jellyman223, Aug 15, 2010.

?

Xbox 360 Slim vs. PS3 Slim

1. Xbox 360 Slim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PS3 Slim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Aug 15, 2010
  1. jellyman223
    OP

Newcomer jellyman223 Member

United States
    So I'm in the market for a new console! My old 360 RROD'd a while ago and I haven't really bothered with it so I'm wondering which console to get now. So all you fanboys/girls, neutrals, and helpfuls, please help me decide what to get!!!

2. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

Just before anyone says if your an online gamer get the 360, don't listen to them the ps3 online is just as good as the 360 online, I have both systems and i haven't noticed a single difference between the both in online gaming. Anyway I've been playing my ps3 more recently so yeah i think you should get the ps3, unless your waiting for Halo reach or something.

3. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i voted xbox but just get whatever most of your friends have os you can play online with them

4. mehrab2603

Member mehrab2603 GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    xboxes are really unreliable.you should go with ps3.besides ps3 has a kickass exclusive library.

5. Alex221

Member Alex221 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Go With The Ps3,It Doesnt Have The Red Rings Of Death,And You Don't Have To Pay To Play Online Like In The Xbox.

6. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Yeah, plus the PS3 has plenty of great ga- ...

nvm.

7. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Not really. The first batch of Xbox 360 are unreliable, yes. But I'll say they are comparable to Wii in terms of reliability now.

I'll say go with Xbox 360. But both consoles are pretty good at this stage.

8. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Nah, I wouldn't go that far.

I would go with the PS3 though. Mainly because PS3 has more games to choose from. 360 has Gears, Halo, Crackdown, Forza, and Alan Wake to choose from. PS3 has much more to choose from since besides the above games that are listed, you can get the rest on the PS3.

9. smuddge

Newcomer smuddge Advanced Member

United States
    i vote 360 slim.
    ps3 sucks and has its own set of problems. (bad lasers, ylod)

10. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    Xbox 360 sucks and has it's own set of problems. (breaks game when the console moves, RROD, paid multiplayer)

11. gisel213

Member gisel213 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I personally love the 360 for the rrod issue casue i buy consoles from people with controllers for less the 30 bucks at timez then i fix them
    and end up with quite alot of them aka all of them working so i never have to worry about having a 360 hell yeah...

But for some strange reason a guy traded me a slim ps3 fully working for a repaired 360 i'm like wow free ps3's now hehe guess all that
    repair work pays off and i didn't break my wallet...

All in all they have there pro's and con's but the ps3's break less than the 360's... while the wii's seriously gotta be tampered with or seriously
    dropped to fuck it up....

12. DEagleson

Member DEagleson Gamer Extraordinaire

Norway
    I own all three current generation consoles and i vote PS3 because thats what i usually play on.
    Just watch out for multi platform games, as they tend to be X360 to PS3 ports sometimes and run horrible.
    Dragon Age: Origins runs like s**t on my PS3. [​IMG]

But like snico1995 mentioned, try grabbing the same console as your friends own so you can play online with them.

Also the Xbox 360 S is much more reliable and it includes a 250gb HDD and wireless N.
    (Not that any gamer would choose wireless over a ethernet cable.)
    Just dont move the X360 with games in the DVD drive, or you will end up with a severly scratched disc.
    My friends Forza 3 disc got damaged that way, but he had some kind of Gamestop game protection with the purchase.

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Both consoles are worth it. Really it comes down to if you have friends that game and you want to game with and which console they own. I was between getting a PS3 or Xbox 360 a few months ago and went with the Xbox 360 because all my friends had one. And honestly I couldn't see going any other way, since having my friends to play with is awesome.

Now, common misconceptions about the Xbox 360 since every generic fanboy will bring up the talking points for flaming on it.

- RRoD: Yes, older models will have a RRoD, but when he's talking about a Slim model, odds are it won't. There's better ventilation to prevent overheating as well as emergency shut off if it does overheat. Plus there's also later traditional Xbox models (aka "Jasper" models) which have a greatly decreased chance (or so I thought, correct me if I'm wrong) of getting a RRoD. And just be smart otherwise. Don't play it for huge stretches of time in dead heat. Keep the fans uncovered. You know the deal.
    - Pay-to-play online: As a Xbox Live subscriber since day one of getting my Xbox I can safely say that yes, it is a rip-off, mainly because its competitors have free online. But really paying the, at most, $8 a month for Xbox Live isn't that bad. Or you can pay $50 a year for an annual plan or go into it with four people and have each person pay $25 a year (and yes, you can go across multiple Xbox's with this deal). Not to mention some of the XBLA deals aren't shabby. A few weeks ago I got all the Borderlands DLC half off. Saved myself $15 right there. The features on Live like forming parties and being able to jump into a friends game and what not are pretty nice too. Not sure how PSN works in that respect though.
    - FPS machine: Any person who says the Xbox is nothing but FPS games is a pure dipshit. People say this for two reasons: 1) Call of Duty (which is popular on EVERY console), and 2) Halo. Yeah, there's a lot of first person games where you shoot, but not a lot of them can be classified as first person shooters. Borderlands is a "FPRPG" (first person role playing) and is a giant co-op loot fest game (and is awesome). Fallout 3 is a RPG in every sense. Oblivion is a RPG in every sense (not a shooter though). BioShock is a first person adventure. Left 4 Dead is a first person shooter but is heavily based on teamwork. And the Orange Box is a compilation of first person adventure (Half Life 2 + Episodes 1 and 2), first person puzzle (Portal), and first person shooter with team-based play (Team Fortress 2). Plus there's tons of other games to get from GTA IV to Red Dead Redemption to Mass Effect to Assassin's Creed and so-on.
    - Disc scratching: It's true the Xbox will scratch discs if it's hit hard enough but seriously, just use common sense. I don't think I want to put ANY game console in the middle of my floor or where anyone will walk. Put it in an entertainment center or something. My brother and I have never scratched discs with our Xbox's (yes, we both have a separate Xbox) because he keeps his on a rack away from foot traffic and I keep mine away from where people would walk in my room.
    - The computer is better: It is, but look at it this way. I asked my friend how much it cost for him to get all the parts for his high-end gaming computer. He said about $1200. And it plays just about everything good. I got my Xbox for about $130 used. I probably haven't even spent $500 yet on my Xbox in total (including games, Live subscription, the system itself, etc). So if you want to get a console with a lot in common with PC games for a better price than Xbox is a good choice. Sure stuff like Team Fortress 2 are severely gimped on the Xbox but for the most part games like Left 4 Dead and Borderlands are mostly the same, outside of paid DLC vs. free DLC.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the PS3 since I don't have one but through my research beforehand (when I was thinking about getting one) I did find that it does seem to have a good library of games (namely a lot of exclusives), doesn't have many technical problems (although it does get YLoD and Bluray burnouts now and then and I have friends who have had their system just bork), and it has free online and what not. Plus Bluray playing is a nice feature and makes a great substitute to a Bluray player.

So whatever you buy, you can't go wrong.

EDIT: Minor typo that completely changed the meaning of a sentence, [​IMG]

14. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    I would go with the system you think has the best exclusives. If you like Halo, Mass Effect,Gears of War, Fable...etc, get that one. If you instead want games like Uncharted, inFamous, God of War...etc, get that one.
    You should also think about what other system your friends have, so you can play online with them and maybe borrow games off each other. [​IMG]

Also the online on Xbox LIVE is not that bad. Its only a small fee to pay, and it has a great multiplayer too. [​IMG]

15. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Don't listen to the PS3 fanboys about RRoD. It isn't as common as it used to be.

Anyway, I have both systems, and I use the 360 A LOT more. Mainly because all my friends have Xboxes.
    I have some good Xbox exclusives like Forza Motorsport 3, Gears of War, Halo, and Lost Odyssey. (I believe that's an exclusive) Forza is an EXCELLENT racer. It's the possibly the best I've ever played.

16. bazzi_h

Member bazzi_h GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Honestly both systems are great (I only have a xbox 360 but my best friend has a ps3 so I get to play on both). Since the 360 slim, they basically have the same features now. The only differing factor is the games. Just buy the console that has the games you want to play and if you want buy the console you didn't get when you have some more money.

17. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    It depends on your preference. If you have more friends on one console than another then it would be good to get that console, and if you don't want to pay for online than ps3 would be better. Whereas if you don't mind paying live but want a better online experience then 360. Also have a look at the exclusives on the console. I have a ps3 but that's due to personal preference.

On the contrary there are still quite a few differences.

18. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Coincidentally, I was thinking the same thing.
    I've decided on the Xbox 360 Slim, though mainly because of the price. I plan on getting the 4GB version mainly because I can purchase a HDD for cheap later on when I need more storage space. The PS3 Slim seems like a nifty little console, though. Most of my friends own a PS3, though with the exception of one with a 360. I'm also worried about paying each year for Xbox Live Gold. It might get costly.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter which console I get. I just want to play Blur and Crackdown and all the other games I'm missing out by just owning a Wii. I never thought I would think about owning more than one console this gen. Microsoft did say that the 360 has another 5 years left in its lifespan so I'm not worried about another console coming out from them.

19. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I have a 360 Falcon which I have in a cabinet. Most of the time I forget to open the door on the cabinet, the console still hasn't RROD or given a single error yet.

I've just brought a new 60GB pro and 120GB elite Jaspers off eBay, both appear (hopefully) to be Jtagable based on their lot numbers. If you hunt, i'm sure you'll be able to find one on eBay yourself.

20. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Yeah, if you get a 360 slim it definitely won't red ring. That's because Microsoft removed the red LEDs from the ring around the power button. But honestly, both consoles are so similar, just buy the one that most of your friends have so you can play with them.