Should I Buy The WODE?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Davess, Jan 18, 2010.

Jan 18, 2010

Should I Buy The WODE? by Davess at 2:59 AM (3,903 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Davess
    OP

Member Davess On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)

Canada
    I'm thinking of buying the new Wode modchip from here: Gmodz.ca

I live 45 Minutes away [​IMG] from the store

Its $120 for the wode, Installation, ETC

Is Gmodz.ca legit?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[​IMG]

is the Flat Mode Were you can play games burnt to disc?

-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-

I've heard that if the ribbon cable that goes to the stand gets lose, the wii boots to a black screen, Is that true?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-

Sorry, For talking like a noob, But these questions haven't been asked before [​IMG]

2. Davess
    OP

Canada
    Not such a big Problem to me, I'm fairly close to the wii, (Tiny room [​IMG])

And GameCube games are the best [​IMG]

3. CasperH

CasperH Newbie

Then why the hell did you buy a Wii?xD

4. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I know this is a little bit off topic, but what about those usb drive things. Whats it called again.... Its like a modchip only you launch games through usb from your computer and you don't even need a working disc drive in your wii. Were those legit, did anyone actually buy them, I am thinking about looking into them.

5. rolandpibb

Member rolandpibb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The Wode is legit. It's the only solution (for now) that lets you load gamecube isos from a USB harddrive.

USB loaders are legit too. I use USBLoaderGX. All you need are a modded wii, the program and a compatible USB harddrive.

The wode's interface for loading games is quite ugly (tiny joystick-tiny LCD screen) while USBLoaderGX has a beautiful GUI on your TV screen.

Unless you have a ton of GC backups that you would like to load from USB, the wode seems like a lot of money to waste.

6. Davess
    OP

Canada
    For Twilight princess :3

7. Davess
    OP

Canada
    I know, I just "kinda" hate the unreliability of usb loader (In my case, IMO?), Plus disc is soooo slaow

Anyone gonna to help me with me questions|?|

8. AetherMaster

Member AetherMaster Aether

United States
    The latest Wode update has an on-TV menu for choosing your games so you don't even need to use the joystick.

If OP doesn't want to risk softmod (although it's not too risky IMO), or if he wants GameCube games, I say go for it. My Wode works great and I would favor it over a softmod any day.

9. Justin121994

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    lmao Twilight princess was for gamecube and wii ??

10. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    If you check craigslist, I'm sure you can find a chipped GC for far less than $120. A bud of mine picked up one already chipped, with the case that lets you use full size DVD-Rs, and with 4 real GC controllers for $50 a couple months ago.

WODE seems pretty cool though I must admit.

11. Davess
    OP

Canada
    Read my last coment [​IMG]

Still what is Flatmode?

12. julz1

Member julz1 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Well one thing people are overlooking is all the problems that usb loading has
    if you had a wode it is simple and works on any system menu and future updates
    he wont have to deal with vid patches, alt dols, force ntsc & upgrading cios & all the combinations to just get a game to work. plus multiple hard-drive loading

13. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Correct. Flat Mode makes the WODE behave like a "flat" modchip, and lets you load from burnt and original discs.

14. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Sorry to be a wet blanket as far as that statement goes, but I have close to 100 games on my HDD, and I have had to deal with ONE alt dol, and I only have to force NTSC for downloaded PAL games. Never had to deal with vid patches, and I never had to upgrade my cios just to play a game.

15. Fun_Zephyr

Member Fun_Zephyr GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Actually - you do nto have to get up and press a button to change a game. They have made a menu that appears on the screen via GameCube. However, you need a GameCube Controller to work it.

I set this menu to auto laod to the disc channel. I then select it and use the GameCube Controller to select my game and after it loads the ISO you use the Wii Mote to play. However, after a restart "Home - Wii Menu" the iso is still loaded so you need to get up and push eject....

Unless when you want to swap games you merely use the Wii mote to turn off the Wii and back on again. Then the config menu loads into the Disc Channel and you can choose a new game without moving. Yes, it means a Wii turn off and On but I do not change games that often so it does not bother me a few extra clicks.

If you are even more slack - so that you do not have the issue with GameCube Controller cables buy a wireless one [​IMG]

This suits me fine. Never have to move from where my controllers are and I can start my games easily. Sounds a little compicated but really it is simple and you have to use 2 controllers instead of one.

Definitely not as easy as it is via the HomeBrew USB Loaders etc (Wii Mote All the way would be sweet) BUT I would rather WODE than having to install truncha again etc and have the chance of bricking my Wii. (Though I could easily do this, I would prefer not to)

WODE is best option for some just as USB HomBrew Laoders are best for others.

It comes down to a personal choice of what one prefers and what one is comfortable doing with their Wii

P.s. Link showing what I mean [​IMG] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRg5UXizZM8

16. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yeah I agree. Out of like 500+ US Wii releases maybe 5 have issues where you need an alt dol to make them run. The rest are perfect.

If you are buying a WODE to avoid 'problems' with USB loading, you are wasting your cash. The only reason I would ever even consider a WODE is the GC support as that is pretty spotty on a soft modded Wii.

17. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    WODE? More like CHODE amirite?

18. Davess
    OP

Canada
    ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Rykin

Member Rykin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I agree that the WODE is a waste of money. I've been using the USB Loader for a while, and I've not had any issues with games not working. The worst thing you may need to do is patch an .iso or use an alt .dol file.
    Really.. even modern modchips have those issues as new games constantly are released with new copy protections built-in, so the games must be patched or the chip needs to be updated.

20. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    @ the OP

Ignore peoples opinions and think of these 2 facts to make your mind up.

1 - Can you afford it easily.
    2 - Do you have a lot of GameCube games.

Buying a WODE and using a HDD will make your Wii drive sooooo muck longer, so consider this when looking at number 1.

If you answer yes to both things, then WODE is a MUST.
    If you nearly say yes to number 1 and say yes to 2 and also play them alot then it is almost a mus buy again.

Ignore opinions on this, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has them"