Gaming Should I buy Pokemon OS/OM?

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are pretty split on the original S/M, though. Some complain that the game is too railroaded, and that there aren't enough opportunities for exploration (compared to games like GSC, or, heck, even RSE and DPPt). If that isn't a dealbreaker for you, then US/UM could be enjoyable, as they're essentially the same games with more content (a la Emerald or Platinum).

What disappoints me a bit about the games, however, is that GF is still pulling the third-version schtick that they've been doing since Gen I, even though DLC exists and is a viable option on the 3DS.

They've also been dishonest about the games, to an extent; a lot of people weren't sure if these were full-on sequels like B2W2 or just two separate third versions, leaving everyone in the dark until the game was finally leaked. GF seems to have gotten somewhat lazy in recent years. I know, there's the issue of having to deal with 3D Pokemon models and stuff, but still.
I'm betting the new Pokemon rpg for switch will be THE god of all Pokemon games. Much more power = much more possibilities

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt like gen 5 trailers when they came out, didnt buy it but after a lot of years i decided to give it a chance and i love it, then got my O3DS and played all the games for it (Oras, XY, now Monn/Ultra Sun) and i can tell you, they are all Pokemon. Is the same. If you like Pokemon, you would like this game.

Times change, forget nostalgia. If you want that, play Platinum again (I always start a new Platinum save, my favorite game). Next gen would be even more graphical, thats the way things go, but the game is the same and is fun.

US/UM has a lot of content, way more than S/M, give it a try (if you have the money, of course) and as a good gbatemp user, i would recommend to install a CFW so you dont have to pay for it and get it when you want.
Yeah, i have CFW, i'll install Pokemon UM using FBI or Freeshop, but if i dont like it, i would be glad i didnt buy it with actual money

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And even better graphics. Aka = having to redo every single model. Aka = It will take along time but it will be epic. I want it now, anybody got a time machine?
U know what I want? A beautiful open world consisting of forests, caves, seas, deserts, moutains, jungles, towns, and cities. And when you look in tall grass, you can actually see the Pokemon roaming around.

D

Deleted User

I'm betting the new Pokemon rpg for switch will be THE god of all Pokemon games. Much more power = much more possibilities
True, but it's up in the air as to whether GF will actually use the extra processing power. Besides, from what I've seen, the Gen 7 games are horribly optimized, and Pokemon fans tend to be quite conservative as far as changes to the formula go, so pardon if I'm slightly doubtful.

D

Deleted User

Ok, so I downloaded the game two days ago, and i'll be honest. I. Love. It.
Yeah, I know this might seem a bit contradictory juxtaposed with my previous posts, but in all honesty, I've been enjoying myself with the game as well. It's just that a large amount of content is being recycled from the original S/M, and only small doses of new content are sprinkled here and there. Speaking as someone who never got to play S/M the first time around, this doesn't bother me much, but to those who did, it can be quite jarring, and a bit unjustified to pick up a whole 'nother $40 game just to play through what could have been distributed as DLC.

But yeah, don't feel bad if you're enjoying the game. If anything, that should be a good thing.

Reactions: ToonGoomba

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.