Hacking Should I buy an unpatched switch or wait for Mariko?

jadog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys I'm on the fence about buying a switch and am looking for some advice. I was originally thinking that I would wait for Team Executer to release their hardware mod and buy a Mariko switch and have the additional battery life. But I have a friend who is selling his unpatched (unhacked) switch and I confirmed the serial is patchable. Is there any benefit to waiting other than extended battery life? And would there be any benefit to buying an older model instead of going with the Mariko? I'm not interested in the Lite version.

I would really like to be able to run Android on my switch if it's mature enough. But from what I understand that can only be done using a unit that has pre-4.x firmware or something.

I'm also somewhat confused about if there is any reason I would need to purchase the SX-OS software (instead of using Atmosphere). Is there anything SXOS can do that Atmosphere can't?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SXOS = very noob friendly. Easy to use and minimal issues.
Free = A bit more maintenance and understanding required. Lots of homebrew advantages.

If you're just wanting to play games with ease I'd go with SX OS. I love it but I dont do anything crazy.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, battery life is all, beyond having a fresh system with fresh screen, cart/sd card/usb c ports.
How much is it?
if you can hack the switch, you can run android on it, no matter the firmware. though I honestly dont see the point myself.

sx can use xci files and load those from external drives (though the loading times are noticably longer compared to installed nsps, but it's certainly a bit cheaper than buying a 400/512gb micro sd). some say the setup would be easier, it probably is a little, but I couldn't say for sure. i manage with atmosphere.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
D

Deleted User

Guys I'm on the fence about buying a switch and am looking for some advice. I was originally thinking that I would wait for Team Executer to release their hardware mod and buy a Mariko switch and have the additional battery life. But I have a friend who is selling his unpatched (unhacked) switch and I confirmed the serial is patchable. Is there any benefit to waiting other than extended battery life? And would there be any benefit to buying an older model instead of going with the Mariko? I'm not interested in the Lite version.

I would really like to be able to run Android on my switch if it's mature enough. But from what I understand that can only be done using a unit that has pre-4.x firmware or something.

I'm also somewhat confused about if there is any reason I would need to purchase the SX-OS software (instead of using Atmosphere). Is there anything SXOS can do that Atmosphere can't?

Mariko / Lite hack will most likely cost more than the current hacks - If price isn't an issue then your good.

If you want to play now get an unpatched model.

TX SX OS only has XCI loading and External USB loading over atmo so it all depends on what you want / don't want.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

One benefit is no hardware modding required with the OG Switch. Voiding the warranty on a brand new device by hardware modding it just doesn't sit right with me. That is assuming you are even confident in your soldering skills or know someone that is. If you aren't, you shouldn't attempt the mod.
Android works pretty well if you have a good MicroSD card. It struggles with some cards (runs very slowly, and crashes at random)
With a good card it seems stable. It's not as powerful as modern Android devices so it not as snappy/responsive, but games seem to run just fine.

I would just go with Atmosphere. XCI loading is not much of a benefit, when we have USB/network installs of NSPs which are quick and convenient, and pirate shops so you can download/install games straight on the Switch. With SX OS you are paying for convenience. But once all is said and done they are similar in use. Atmosphere just takes a bit more setup which IMO is worth it to save $30-40.
Wow. That was very helpful guys. He wants $215 USD for it. No original box. Is it worth it?
Seems a bit high. Brand new OG (non Mariko) Switch is $270. Then again, looking on eBay the prices are around there, so I guess it's fair. And finding a guaranteed unpatched unit without paying extra can be tricky. So all in all, it's probably about the best deal you're going to find unless you're willing to lurk eBay etc. daily looking for new deals.

jadog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so it sounds like it's a fair price, but not exactly a stellar deal.

So I'm leaning towards Atmosphere then especially if it can also handle homebrew better than SXOS - that way I will be able to use Retroarch.

Gorkensnorkel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an RCM Loader from Whatsko that lets you put multiple CFW's on it, Atmosphere, SXOS, etc. You can switch between what you want to boot with just a button press. Not sure if I am supposed to link stuff like this but here it is. You still have to purchase an SXOS license for $30, however.

sauying

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If i were you, i would purchase the v1 unpatched and load it with SXOS which is hassle-free.
Once the hardmod is stable or being discounted, i will sell the V1 and get the V2

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy unpatched unit don't waste your time buying a ipatched one. You may come more out of pocket but it will be the best choice because if you buy the patch unit you have to pay someone to install the modchip for you.

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'd buy an unpatched if I were you. I literally cant live without varierty of mods and sys clk anymore. If mariko was somehow hacked then I'd buy it. Nothing wrong with having 2 switchs.

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would also go with the unpatched, unfortunately we know nothing about Xecuters chip, how it works, what it can do, if it can emunand and how hard it is to patch. With the unpatched one you'll at least be sure Nintendo can't lock you out.

minooch_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get the unpatched (personally I would) run atmosphere, don't let anyone tell you it's hard to use, any halfwit can get it running perfectly

Reactions: f0li0

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Got a Mariko and I love it (because here where I am it is very hard to find the OG models) but just google what a hacked switch can do should take all your doubts away .. go for it!

leons09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
I bought the Mariko Unit ( Switch V2 ) since February, the battery life on Mariko unit is my way to go.
I recently just got it to modchip using SXCore, worked flawlessly,
Creating Emunand ( for homebrew and stuff )
and Online in OFW.

pausuri

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the Mariko Unit ( Switch V2 ) since February, the battery life on Mariko unit is my way to go.
I recently just got it to modchip using SXCore, worked flawlessly,
Creating Emunand ( for homebrew and stuff )
and Online in OFW.

Have you noticed any negative impact on the battery life since you have the SX core installed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1