1. jadog

OP jadog Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Guys I'm on the fence about buying a switch and am looking for some advice. I was originally thinking that I would wait for Team Executer to release their hardware mod and buy a Mariko switch and have the additional battery life. But I have a friend who is selling his unpatched (unhacked) switch and I confirmed the serial is patchable. Is there any benefit to waiting other than extended battery life? And would there be any benefit to buying an older model instead of going with the Mariko? I'm not interested in the Lite version.

I would really like to be able to run Android on my switch if it's mature enough. But from what I understand that can only be done using a unit that has pre-4.x firmware or something.

I'm also somewhat confused about if there is any reason I would need to purchase the SX-OS software (instead of using Atmosphere). Is there anything SXOS can do that Atmosphere can't?

2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

United States
    SXOS = very noob friendly. Easy to use and minimal issues.
    Free = A bit more maintenance and understanding required. Lots of homebrew advantages.

If you're just wanting to play games with ease I'd go with SX OS. I love it but I dont do anything crazy.

3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    No, battery life is all, beyond having a fresh system with fresh screen, cart/sd card/usb c ports.
    How much is it?
    if you can hack the switch, you can run android on it, no matter the firmware. though I honestly dont see the point myself.

sx can use xci files and load those from external drives (though the loading times are noticably longer compared to installed nsps, but it's certainly a bit cheaper than buying a 400/512gb micro sd). some say the setup would be easier, it probably is a little, but I couldn't say for sure. i manage with atmosphere.

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Mar 14, 2020
  4. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I bought myself a brand new mariko switch back in September 2019. I'm still sitting here waiting for something to happen.

Stealphie likes this.
  5. jadog

OP jadog Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Wow. That was very helpful guys. He wants $215 USD for it. No original box. Is it worth it?

6. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Mariko / Lite hack will most likely cost more than the current hacks - If price isn't an issue then your good.

If you want to play now get an unpatched model.

TX SX OS only has XCI loading and External USB loading over atmo so it all depends on what you want / don't want.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    One benefit is no hardware modding required with the OG Switch. Voiding the warranty on a brand new device by hardware modding it just doesn't sit right with me. That is assuming you are even confident in your soldering skills or know someone that is. If you aren't, you shouldn't attempt the mod.
    Android works pretty well if you have a good MicroSD card. It struggles with some cards (runs very slowly, and crashes at random)
    With a good card it seems stable. It's not as powerful as modern Android devices so it not as snappy/responsive, but games seem to run just fine.

I would just go with Atmosphere. XCI loading is not much of a benefit, when we have USB/network installs of NSPs which are quick and convenient, and pirate shops so you can download/install games straight on the Switch. With SX OS you are paying for convenience. But once all is said and done they are similar in use. Atmosphere just takes a bit more setup which IMO is worth it to save $30-40.
    Seems a bit high. Brand new OG (non Mariko) Switch is $270. Then again, looking on eBay the prices are around there, so I guess it's fair. And finding a guaranteed unpatched unit without paying extra can be tricky. So all in all, it's probably about the best deal you're going to find unless you're willing to lurk eBay etc. daily looking for new deals.

8. TonyMax

TonyMax Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I would go for it if I were you. I don't have such a friend and recently acquired a brand new OG model.

9. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I think it's a pretty good price if the condition is alright.

10. jadog

OP jadog Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok, so it sounds like it's a fair price, but not exactly a stellar deal.

So I'm leaning towards Atmosphere then especially if it can also handle homebrew better than SXOS - that way I will be able to use Retroarch.

11. Gorkensnorkel

Gorkensnorkel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There is an RCM Loader from Whatsko that lets you put multiple CFW's on it, Atmosphere, SXOS, etc. You can switch between what you want to boot with just a button press. Not sure if I am supposed to link stuff like this but here it is. You still have to purchase an SXOS license for $30, however.

12. sauying

sauying Member
    Newcomer

Malaysia
    If i were you, i would purchase the v1 unpatched and load it with SXOS which is hassle-free.
    Once the hardmod is stable or being discounted, i will sell the V1 and get the V2

13. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Buy unpatched unit don't waste your time buying a ipatched one. You may come more out of pocket but it will be the best choice because if you buy the patch unit you have to pay someone to install the modchip for you.

14. miss_nakano

miss_nakano GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'd buy an unpatched if I were you. I literally cant live without varierty of mods and sys clk anymore. If mariko was somehow hacked then I'd buy it. Nothing wrong with having 2 switchs.

15. evertonstz

evertonstz GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I would also go with the unpatched, unfortunately we know nothing about Xecuters chip, how it works, what it can do, if it can emunand and how hard it is to patch. With the unpatched one you'll at least be sure Nintendo can't lock you out.

16. minooch_e

minooch_e Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If you get the unpatched (personally I would) run atmosphere, don't let anyone tell you it's hard to use, any halfwit can get it running perfectly

f0li0 likes this.
  17. BaamAlex

BaamAlex Eduard Pinguingummihals!

Germany
    It isn't hard to use. But a few ppl think it is.

18. Idrolitina

Idrolitina Newbie
    Newcomer

Japan
    Got a Mariko and I love it (because here where I am it is very hard to find the OG models) but just google what a hacked switch can do should take all your doubts away .. go for it!

19. leons09

leons09 Member
    Newcomer

Cambodia
    I bought the Mariko Unit ( Switch V2 ) since February, the battery life on Mariko unit is my way to go.
    I recently just got it to modchip using SXCore, worked flawlessly,
    Creating Emunand ( for homebrew and stuff )
    and Online in OFW.

20. pausuri

pausuri Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Have you noticed any negative impact on the battery life since you have the SX core installed?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - unpatched, Should, switch