GCN Should I buy a used or new GameCube?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,973
  • Replies 29

Which should I buy?

• Expensive USA system

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Cheap Japan system that seems like a scam

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can buy a New gamecube in 2019? :blink:
There are quite often people that buy things and shelve them for later sale, especially stuff with a history of only increasing in price as time goes on, and as such have it available for those that want it. Investment wise there are better things you can do but at the same time it is something you could do as a domain expert* as it were (I imagine a sizeable chunk of the membership here could make a return if given a seed and a few years).

*not really a secret but the vast majority of investors have not got a clue about anything they are investing in. They just look at the numbers and go from there. Same for many executives which is why I find them being lauded by gaming types to be an odd thing but that is a different discussion.

How viable it is for game consoles varies -- the gamecube does have a battery inside and if it leaks I could see it doing some damage (to my knowledge it is not a known issue like it is for Amigas, old Pokemon carts, original xboxes and some other things). This means you can't just abandon it in a box and have it appear factory fresh all those years later.
Video because why not at this point

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The epic boot and BIOS menu music alone is enough to warrant buying a GameCube, IMO :P

Just recently my friend pulled out his Gamecube and we played some Kirby Air Ride, and when the boot intro started I realized how critical it was to the Gamecube experience lol. (afterwards I tracked down the BIOS file so that I get the intro any time I load a game on Dolphin and Nintendont)

Gotta say though, the Wii is great and I use it for playing everything, but it's never the same as using the original console itself.

Reactions: yukivulpes

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wouldn't buy a new one unless you were planning on keeping it new if you're just going to open it the value is gone already.
and as others have already mentioned a wii is infinitely better for playing gamecube games if playing it is what you intend to do.
wii has usb and sd slots, higher resolution, widescreen and component cables that cost 20x less.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i wouldn't buy a new one unless you were planning on keeping it new if you're just going to open it the value is gone already.
and as others have already mentioned a wii is infinitely better for playing gamecube games if playing it is what you intend to do.
wii has usb and sd slots, higher resolution, widescreen and component cables that cost 20x less.

The Wii is certainly more versatile than just buying a GameCube. But that kind of defeats the purpose of owning the original hardware.

I suppose it depends on what your preference is really. We’re all different, I like the originals, which is why I have over 70 systems. Though to be fair, those I’ve kept since I started gaming in the 70’s.

But if you’re going to down the road of getting a Wii, then why not the Wii U?
Even more power, even more versatility and thanks to Nintendont, you can still play GameCube games, along with Wii, Wii U and all of the homebrew and emulators available for it.

Reactions: Der_Blockbuster

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii is certainly more versatile than just buying a GameCube. But that kind of defeats the purpose of owning the original hardware.

While I love emulation and will plump for it wherever I can if the Wii is original hardware, no emulation involved, then that line loses a lot of whatever lustre it might have had.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I suppose it depends on what your preference is really. We’re all different, I like the originals, which is why I have over 70 systems. Though to be fair, those I’ve kept since I started gaming in the 70’s.

But if you’re going to down the road of getting a Wii, then why not the Wii U?
Even more power, even more versatility and thanks to Nintendont, you can still play GameCube games, along with Wii, Wii U and all of the homebrew and emulators available for it.
that's upto you he asked for advice while most is just opinion i feel quite strongly about the don't buy a new one just to open it part if it's in sealed condition now it should stay that way shouldn't ruin the conductibility on something that hasn't been made in this long.

i thought the whole shtick of original hardware was to play the game how it's meant to be played in which case i agree. but in this particular situation the wii contains all the gamecube components and will play it exactly how it was meant to be played while costing less money and giving a better picture.

the wii u is quite a bit more expensive and doesn't have gamecube ports or take gamecube discs, it also has annoyingly long boot times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)