Hacking Should i buy a SuperCard DSTWO+ now?

Should i buy a DSTWO+?

• Total voters

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello guys,
i have some questions about the DSTWO+:

• Is it compatible with latest 3DS firmware (DS MODE) (I'm also using Luma 3DS... )
  • Is it better than just an R4 SDHC RTS 3DS? (I have one from r4i-sdhc.com i bought a while ago...)
  • Can i use latest versions of Gateway firmwares?
  • Does it has a timebomb in it?
  • Should i buy it?
  • If so, does anyone knows a french resellers online (with Paypal support?)

I've heard about the r4i-sdhc.com fiasco (the timebombs...) & i also wonder if i can remove the timebomb without using YSMenu (I think the menu is too ugly...).

Thanks for answering guys.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Honestly, I don't see the reason why to go with that pricey flashcard. For me is 3DS Gold 2017 with Ysmenu enough (and it cost only $5 and you can install CFW with it).

But to your questions.
1. Yes.
2. can't tell.
3. Wha? I might be missing something.
4. Nope.
5. If you need to pay that much for flashcard, then sure, go for it :P.
6. sorry but no :mellow:.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
  1. Yes
  2. No (since you have CFW and a DS flashcart already - the DSTwo offers absolutely zero benefits. Everything it can do, you can do already)
  3. Definitely not - you risk bricking. With a sufficiently old launcher.dat that you won't brick, it means you're limited to 9.5 on new 3DS and about 10.3 on old 3DS. Not only does this mean you can't play games released in the last year or two, but it is hard to set up and you'll be figuring it out completely on your own because no one is using this and we won't have the knowledge to help you.
  4. No
  5. Definitely not (since you said you're using CFW and have a DS flashcart already - see number 2. Not to mention it drains your battery while inserted even if not being used and the console is in sleep mode)
  6. Nope

Last edited by Quantumcat,

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a dstwo since a very long time and I can tell this is the best flashcard I have ever got.

If you already have a DS flashcard then you don't really need it, but if you really want an upgrade, then the dstwo can do that. (I would recommend a DSTWO, not a DSTWO+)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have a dstwo since a very long time and I can tell this is the best flashcard I have ever got.

If you already have a DS flashcard then you don't really need it, but if you really want an upgrade, then the dstwo can do that. (I would recommend a DSTWO, not a DSTWO+)
What benefits will it give OP? No point spending money on something that will do the exact same job as something he already owns.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
@HRudy94
well, if you are buying the flashcard just because of how the menu looks, then we can't argue with you :D. I don't care about the menu as long as it does its job (i wouldn't mind plain text if that was the case)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@ZoNtendo
But why upgrade? What are the benefits as Qcat said? Explain :D :P

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
The rom selection menu look much better (imo), a feature to search cheats by yourself (I personally use it sometime), very customizable.

Propably more thing to tell why it's better, but because I didn't used it for a long time, I can't really remember everything.

Reactions: Quantumcat

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@HRudy94
well, if you are buying the flashcard just because of how the menu looks, then we can't argue with you :D. I don't care about the menu as long as it does its job (i wouldn't mind plain text if that was the case)

I care to the menu (i'm used to Wood who looked nice ...). I know... (It's for that reason that i asked if there is another alternative instead of YSMenu...)

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can buy 3DS Gold RTS, which does not have timebomb, but costs $20
Maybe... It's for that reason that i asked "Is it better than just an R4 SDHC RTS 3DS? (I have one from r4i-sdhc.com i bought a while ago...)" (second question)
i don't know if i want an upgrade or stay with the same...

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Maybe... It's for that reason that i asked "Is it better than just an R4 SDHC RTS 3DS? (I have one from r4i-sdhc.com i bought a while ago...)" (second question)
i don't know if i want an upgrade or stay with the same...
1. No. It is not worth it.
2. If you don't need to, don't do it.

Toasty

Queen
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd just go with a cheapo flashcard honestly, especially if you have CFW. Back a few years ago this expensive card was worth it because it wasn't blocked by nintendo, but luma allows you to bypass their blacklist. I recommend an acekard2i personally, it has always worked great to play the latest DS games including pokemon.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello guys,
i have some questions about the DSTWO+:

• Is it compatible with latest 3DS firmware (DS MODE) (I'm also using Luma 3DS... )
  • Is it better than just an R4 SDHC RTS 3DS? (I have one from r4i-sdhc.com i bought a while ago...)
  • Can i use latest versions of Gateway firmwares?
  • Does it has a timebomb in it?
  • Should i buy it?
  • If so, does anyone knows a french resellers online (with Paypal support?)

I've heard about the r4i-sdhc.com fiasco (the timebombs...) & i also wonder if i can remove the timebomb without using YSMenu (I think the menu is too ugly...).

Thanks for answering guys.
I read somewhere that the DS mode on Stargate doesn't work on CFW, though I'm not sure why that would be the case. It may be fixed in a future firmware update but it's something to consider.
You don't really get a lot of benefits with either on a 3DS with CFW compared to what you already have, since the 3DS-mode emulators are better than what the DSTWO offers, and the 3DS-mode of the Stargate 3DS is inferior to CFW. Though being able to load .3ds ROMs is a pro to some.
DSTWO has Free Cheat and RTS though which may be useful to some.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I read somewhere that the DS mode on Stargate doesn't work on CFW, though I'm not sure why that would be the case. It may be fixed in a future firmware update but it's something to consider.
Stargate DS mode doesn't work with luma. Probably because of the NTRBoot detection (and because luma messes with how a 3DS launches a flashcard).

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i've tried R4 SDHC RTS 3D and other R4 cards
the super card is differently the easier to use, i would recommend it if you don't mind the battery drain.

HRudyPlayZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thx for the answers. I think i will buy a new r4 when mine will be gone (next year).

The DSTWO is too expensive for a flashcart & is difficult to find now.

(Sorry for the late answer, totally forgot to write it there)

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ds mode does work now stargate 3ds on cfw luma, mine works fine. There is a updated file for it somewhere

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ds mode does work now stargate 3ds on cfw luma, mine works fine. There is a updated file for it somewhere

Here's the launcher made by Apache Thunder that fixes the non-working DS mode on the Stargate flashcart. Impressive feat by that dev as he made it from scratch without testing it beforehand, and it worked on first try!

But really, this doesn't excuse Stargate in something they either should been able to correct themselves or produced a product with better Q&A software testing ensuring compatibility with custom firmware.
Anyone out there considering buying a Stargate 3DS, please do yourself the favor in researching this company's history behind this and their older Gateway. You can get more out of freeShop with a large micro SD card coupled with a great DS flashcart like R4i Gold Plus or even DSiMenu++ for your DS needs.

I'm only posting that link for those who already bought one of these; I'm not advocating that it's okay to go out and buy one now that there's a way to make DS mode work again.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't waste your money on either the DSTWO+ nor Stargate3DS. The DSTWO used to service a purpose for the DS world with the GBA/SNES emulation, but ROM injections is just better. The DSTWO+ really never served a good purpose, it was just a slightly updated DSTWO (with no homebrew using the new hardware) and Gateway slapped onto it. Which resulted in bricks and they stole ReiNAND to make freeCFW, which hasn't updated in forever. Seriously the DSTWO+ nor the DSTWO are worth the price tag anymore.
Stargate hasn't updated in 7 months and has been a buggy mess since launch. Seriously, don't waste your money on a product that was DOA.
If you are already willing to spend money, then I suggest buying an R4i Gold+ instead. You get a cart with a NTRBoot switch and also runs Wood R4, meaning no timebomb like your current cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself