PS1/2 Should I buy a ps3 slim of preowned fat?

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I'm in the Market for a ps3. I'm not even too bothered about the games, I just want the device under my tv to play blu-rays, DVDs & use play tv with for freeview (I'm in the uk btw)

I could either drop 270 quid on a ps3 slim

or 170 on a ps3 fat, my local game store has a 60gb one in stock preowned.

I know the slim has it's advantages: (Quieter, smaller form factor, 250gig drive) I know it can't run Linux (whch I probbaly will want to have a go at) & I don't think the fat model will produce too much noise to distract me from movies n suff.

Anyone got an opinion?

I have like, 3 xboxes, so please no replies saying "get a 360 instead!"
biggrin.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like the cheaper the better for you. The older ones are really only about playing older games (as far as I know).

But I have a slim. The games are not vital to me, I usually go for the newest machine. Well I usually go with a NEW and warrantied machine that is.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I personally like the Slim more, because of how it looks and the noise it makes. It you don't care about that and don't care about buying a preowned device, go for the fat one. It's cheaper and it has more features.

Teny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would get the slim because it would be new and have a warranty.
I wanted to get a fat PS3 only for linux, but I already have an good PC, so I got the slim, and I don't like getting pre-owned for 2 reasons; no warranty (unless you buy from third party), and you don't know the previous owner.

IIRC, the fat runs faster in loading and starting up (turning on, insert disc, etc), but the slim is faster when you are doing something (start the game/movie). I was also told the slim PS3 has a better blu-ray player, don't know if this is true though.

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well if I buy pre-owned I'm gonna get it from gamestation here in the uk. They offer some sort of warranty on pre owned consoles, I'm sure.

Is it right that the latest fw update blocks the "install other os" option? Even in the fat consoles? Is ps3 Linux any good? I read about a media center version?

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linux on PS3 is not worth it, considering that you're limited to a 10GB-only partition when installed on the PS3's HDD (Dunno about a USB HDD or if there's a workaround though). There were also a few other things that you can't do on it, but I forget at the moment.

Basically, if you're just going to use it for videos and stuff, then the fat PS3 might be the way to go. If you're going to use it for gaming eventually, the Slim might be the better choice. I've had my 40GB model since late 2007 I think, and the blu-ray lens just recently failed on me. I've also heard that this happens a lot with the 80 and 60GB aside from the YLOD too (Not sure if Slim can get it, since I haven't looked it up yet), so I wouldn't recommend any of the old models.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Heya,

So you can choice between an PS3 Phat 60GB Edition (Preowned), and a factory new PS3 Slim 250GB.

I personally would go for the PS3 Phat 60 Edition (Preowned). I have one too, also Preowned. I upgraded the HDD though to 320GB.
You can play everything on it. PS1 PS2 PS3 CD, Super CD, DVD, DVD DL, Blu Ray, Blu Ray DL. (PS2 is only for the PS3 Phat 60GB Edition)
And the Phat PS3's indeed have a Other OS ability. Which is great for Linux, running Emulators from there, or ripping Blu Ray discs, etc.

Also a advantage is that this 60GB edition that if you upgrade the HDD, most info as Account will remain on the PS3. (Still recommend to do a backup for Save files etc.) Other Phat or Slim PS3's don't have that, I think. At least my friends 40GB didn't had that.

And the Phat does looks way better than the Slim, of course.

--

The Slim PS3 250GB is a better option for you if you ONLY will use it for Blu Ray playing, not ripping blu ray's nor playing games.
Besides you don't have to buy a new HDD in anytime soon.
It doesn't play everything like the PS3 Phat 60GB Edition does. It doesn't play PS2 games.

Though for your bill it should be some better, also for the nature I guess.. Noise isn't that a difference.

The Slim PS3's indeed doesn't have a Other OS ability. So you can't rip Blu Ray's or playing Emulators etc.

Conclusion

If you want to be able to play everything and be able to backup/copy Blu ray's or run Emulators. And want a nice looking housing for that.
Pick the PS3 Phat 60GB edition (Preowned).

If you only want to use it for Blu Ray's and not ripping and neither Emulator abilities. And may time to time a PS3 game for the kids or visit. And don't mind about the housing as it might be hidden inside closet. (But it takes less space in height.)
Pick the PS3 Slim 250GB new from factory.

Adr990

Edit:

Hints and experience for the PS3 Phat 60GB Edition (Preowned)

I don't know what the state is of the PS3 Phat 60GB Edition (Preowned) they want to sell you, but they wouldn't sell it if it didn't work, as they are a shop, and still would give you a refund in at least 24 hours of exchange, right?

I got mine for 270 Euro without composite or compnent, but with HDMI cable. And 2 Controllers (one Sixaxis and one Dualshock3+Sixaxis) A charge stand for two controllers, and GT 5 Prolouge. And a PS2 game Crash Nitro Kart. And a Blu ray/DVD Remote.
Working well with everything. (The seller let me test before some stuff before I bought.)

Hint(s):
1. Buy a HDMI cable. If you got a TV supporting that. And don't pay over 10 dollar for it. (If you gotta pay more than 10 or 15 dollar, get on from Dealextreme or a other WebShop or Shop nearby.)

2. Clean your PS3 Fan Holes, USB ports and Disc glove with the rubber/plastic side of your vacuum cleaner. Than with a Q-pic. (Don't go inside the Disc glove with the Q-pic, just aside it.)

Than maybe with a cleaning cloth, clean the housing.

Experience:
Everything working well with mine PS3 Phat 60GB Edition (Preowned), (Upgraded HDD to 320GB), just some scratches on the housing of it. But that doesn't matter, and you barley can see them.

Follow a tutorial to install a Other OS. Install Ubuntu 9.04 Power PC. Not Yellow Dog.

That's pretty much about it. Good luck!

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The other OS option ceases to exist on april first. It will not be avalaible anymore even on old phats.

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Adr990 said:
2. Clean your PS3 Fan Holes, USB ports and Disc glove with the rubber/plastic side of your vacuum cleaner. Than with a Q-pic. (Don't go inside the Disc glove with the Q-pic, just aside it.)
Be careful with vacuum cleaner while cleaning electronic devices. It may cause electrostatic discharge and damage them. Use compressed air in cans (like spray paint) instead.

EDIT: I forgot to add, cardyology, if you want the blu-ray player go for slim. It has less features than 60GB edition but it is quiet and stylish (fat is really FAT).

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well now OTHER OS has been ditched on PHAT.. and unless you really want a backward with PS2 compatibility PS3 then there is nothing to stop you going for a slim other than price factor
smile.gif

I sold my PHAT 40gb and got a 250gb slim and don't regret it ... I never used the OTHER O.S. function anyways and I have a PS2 so backwards compatibility was not an issue for me
smile.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm also thinking of buying a PS3 and I am thinking of getting the Phat just for the pure fact of price and I have a lot of PS2 games laying around that I'd love to replay

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
danny600kill said:
I'm also thinking of buying a PS3 and I am thinking of getting the Phat just for the pure fact of price and I have a lot of PS2 games laying around that I'd love to replay

suggest you look out for an original 60GB model as these have the actual PS2 hardware in them and the 80gb have software backwards compatability for PS2

pretty much the rest of the PHAT models have it removed ..Although I think the original 20GB ones maby had it as hardware
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...