Hacking Should I buy a PS3 phat or slim for v4.82 Hack?

Phat or Slim?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To whomever it may concern,

I haven't bought a console in long time, but seeing the hacking community of the PS3 made me want to purchase a used PS3. I've been looking around, and from what I gathered: all PS3 phats are able to be downgraded to v3.55 to install CFW, while not all PS3 slims are. Because my local Gamestop has both, I was wondering which should I buy that would be best for hacking and playing games from backup?

Thank you.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you interested in PS2 BC?

The phat are bigger and more prone to YLOD but as you say they all shipped with <=3.55 and have PS2 BC.

The slim on the other hand is lighter but there's the issue over if it shipped with <=3.55.

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you interested in PS2 BC?

The phat are bigger and more prone to YLOD but as you say they all shipped with <=3.55 and have PS2 BC.

The slim on the other hand is lighter but there's the issue over if it shipped with <=3.55.

Not all phat's shipped with PS2 BC.
Also if your installing CFW you can play PS2 ISO's regardless of model.

To answer OP, if you can get a reasonably priced slim that is one of models that can be downgraded, get that as they are more reliable, maybe try eBay or somewhere you can check the model beforehand.

*edit - Compatibility list: http://wololo.net/2012/10/31/downgradable-ps3-models/

Last edited by vpd,
Reactions: tech3475

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To answer OP, if you can get a reasonably priced slim that is one of models that can be downgraded, get that as they are more reliable, maybe try eBay or somewhere you can check the model beforehand.

*edit - Compatibility list: http://wololo.net/2012/10/31/downgradable-ps3-models/

PS2 games will run better on PS3's that have PS2 BC.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Sorry yeah, forgot to add that part.

Iirc NA had both full and partial BC units so you do need to check the models.

The difference is that the later partial models only had one of the PS2s chips so it has to be done partially in software.

After that it can only be done in software but I dont know what compatibility is like.

Last edited by tech3475,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can install rebug on ofw as long as it's on 4.82.... get whatever one you want lol
Just make sure the model isn't above 2500a I believe

Last edited by Lumince,

recgame77

Trophies
XP
Country
Cameroon
phat can not passthrough DTS-HD / Dolby True HD audio stream while slim can .
So if you plan to watch ISO bluray (especially usefull for 3D ISO dump) with cobra features be aware you ll be limited on that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)