Hardware Should I buy a PS3 now?

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know this is my own choice but I wanted to get people's opinion on if I should get a PS3 now because its been released for a few years now and I don't normally buy home consoles on launch and after playing with my friends for a while now I was thinking it might be time for me to get one but there is a few concerns I wanted to know about as well as getting opinions if I should buy a PS3.
  1. I know you can softmod the PS3 with CFW so I was wondering if I can softmod a new PS3 straight out of the box after I buy it at the shop if it's FW is higher than 3.55? if not then is there a way to downgrade it to 3.55 or lower?
  2. Is it possible to play PSX, PS2 and PSP ISOs directly from the PS3's hard drive or memory thing if it has CFW on it?
  3. After you put CFW on your PS3 is it possible for a game to force a FW update?
And lastly would it be worth it?

Thanks for the help.

jing90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1. you can only softmod ps3 that are on 3.55. if they have never been on 3.55 or lower you can't downgrade them. to downgrade a ps3 you need a downgrader like the E3 flasher
2. I think you can only with the cobra dongle. not sure what is its compatibility.
3. most new games require new firmware. if you try to play a new game from disk it'll try to update.

it depends if you are interested in old ps3 games. personally I think it's worth it.

you should search for an old used ps3 if you want to mod it

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I honestly wouldn't bother modding a PS3 (or 360 for that matter). It's just less hassle staying legit with the PS3. And getting one now means there are dozens of fantastic games out there for peanuts.

Reactions: 1 person

Just Another Gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1. you can only softmod ps3 that are on 3.55. if they have never been on 3.55 or lower you can't downgrade them. to downgrade a ps3 you need a downgrader like the E3 flasher
2. I think you can only with the cobra dongle. not sure what is its compatibility.
3. most new games require new firmware. if you try to play a new game from disk it'll try to update.

it depends if you are interested in old ps3 games. personally I think it's worth it.

I'll respond depending on number.
  1. With the E3 flasher can it force a firmware downgrade if your PS3 has never been on FW 3.55?
  2. Ah okay. I guess i'll research it myself when i get a PS3
  3. So if I just play directly from the ISO file then it won't force an update?

I honestly wouldn't bother modding a PS3 (or 360 for that matter). It's just less hassle staying legit with the PS3. And getting one now means there are dozens of fantastic games out there for peanuts.
I have my reasons, for some games like Disgaea 3 and 4 i'll be happy to buy otherwise with games needing undubs its just easier if I play from the ISO file which I assume needs CFW.

jing90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

1. With the E3 flasher can it force a firmware downgrade if your PS3 has never been on FW 3.55?

1. no it can't
3. playing backups won't request update (if the game is playable on cfw) here's a list of playable games

Just Another Gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

1. no it can't
3. playing backups won't request update (if the game is playable on cfw) here's a list of playable games
1. Damn. Okay I kinda expected that though but oh well.
3. Ah okay. Thats not a problem.

I want to get a PS3 but somehow I don't think it'll be any good if I can't mod it but will there be CFW for later FW like the PSP?

Just Another Gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah okay. Well i guess I can wait, I mean I waited for the end of the PSP's life in the western market before buying a pre-owned one and then putting CFW on it and playing ISOs straight off it, still I kinda want a PS3 though since it is a pretty good console.

Out of curiosity do you have to have a flat screen TV to play it on? cause I have one of those old ones and I just wanted to make sure otherwise i'll have to buy a new TV.

jing90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah okay. Well i guess I can wait, I mean I waited for the end of the PSP's life in the western market before buying a pre-owned one and then putting CFW on it and playing ISOs straight off it, still I kinda want a PS3 though since it is a pretty good console.

Out of curiosity do you have to have a flat screen TV to play it on? cause I have one of those old ones and I just wanted to make sure otherwise i'll have to buy a new TV.

you can use either a scart or a hdmi cable to connect to the tv, so I don't think you should have any problem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1