Gaming Should I buy a Japanese 3DS next to my European 3DS?

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I saw a few games Europe nor America did not get. I am jealous! So I think it would be great to have a Japanese Dictionary and a new Japanese 3DS. Would this be smart? I know the 3DS is not region free. :P Jup I am informed pretty well, but still... I cannot read any Japanese, but I really want to! And those games... :P

So the question is to buy or not to buy a Jap. 3DS next to my PAL 3DS. ^^

Money is not really a problem, since it will take some time before I have it.

Also is PlayAsia good?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I say no. Unless you're going to play just games with little language barrier like arcade games. I don't understand playing a game , when you have no idea what is being said.

EDIT: Also financially , it sounds insane. No disrespect but I get this impression you're rather frivolous with your money based on your past threads.

Also Playasia are reputable.

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Vita is region free ape! ;P I'll just import games eventually. Still financially, the expenses are comparable to buying it here in the Netherlands. ^.^

Also I'll take some courses Japanese, I may do that, still unsure :P

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, it's still too soon in the 3DS's life to buy another console for games, besides, sooner or later, the region block will be bypassed so I don't really se a reason to do that also, even if you have a dictionary and if you take japanese courses, it'll be quite a while to understand the games... Learn the japanese first, then buy the other 3DS if you want, otherwise, it's just a waste of money tbh...

Pazuzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did, but just because the Japanese eShop is infinitely better. Still, I'd say wait until some juicy exclusives like Layton vs AA show up. There's not enough JP-only games right now to justify the second console, I think.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese dsi and I love being able to get dsiware that's not released here. I just memorized the menus. I waited a long time to buy one though until I could get one on the cheap. Eventually I'll do the same with the 3ds

xshinox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's still too soon in the 3DS's life to buy another console for games, besides, sooner or later, the region block will be bypassed so I don't really se a reason to do that also, even if you have a dictionary and if you take japanese courses, it'll be quite a while to understand the games... Learn the japanese first, then buy the other 3DS if you want, otherwise, it's just a waste of money tbh...

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Even though money isn't an issue, Japanese imports as far as I know are dread expensive. I've ordered a lot of stuff from the US and a little from Japan, and I have to say their prices are much higher. Currency is also an issue too. The Yen is pretty strong and each game costs ¥4800 - 6090. Plus shipping and others (PlayAsia has notorious prices even when shipping is 'free'), it's going to cost more.

I'd say depends. If you are dying for Japanese games like New LovePlus or Mirai, then get it. It's up to you actually, since money is not an issue. As for the vita, you can get one from your own country (if it is cheaper - which I doubt) and import games since its region free to some extent.

Yes, PlayAsia is reputable (I bought cases from them before), although shipping may take awhile for certain stuff. PlayAsia also has pretty much notorious prices for their products even though marketed as 'free shipping'.

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even though money isn't an issue, Japanese imports as far as I know are dread expensive. I've ordered a lot of stuff from the US and a little from Japan, and I have to say their prices are much higher. Currency is also an issue too. The Yen is pretty strong and each game costs ¥4800 - 6090. Plus shipping and others (PlayAsia has notorious prices even when shipping is 'free'), it's going to cost more.

I'd say depends. If you are dying for Japanese games like New LovePlus or Mirai, then get it. It's up to you actually, since money is not an issue. As for the vita, you can get one from your own country (if it is cheaper - which I doubt) and import games since its region free to some extent.

Yes, PlayAsia is reputable (I bought cases from them before), although shipping may take awhile for certain stuff. PlayAsia also has pretty much notorious prices for their products even though marketed as 'free shipping'.

The problem is that the prices here in the Netherlands are just as high as on PlayAsia, a €49 Star Fox 64 3D game here is €45 there! 0.o you see and thats just an example :P

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

The problem is that the prices here in the Netherlands are just as high as on PlayAsia, a €49 Star Fox 64 3D game here is €45 there! 0.o you see and thats just an example :P
It's not just for Holland, its for the whole European countries that use the Euro, like my country (Portugal), Spain, Italy, France (in France they were even more expensive last time I was there) and that's why I buy most of my games from the UK, the UK uses punds and not euro hence they have different taxes also, they're much cheaper there, the most I pay for a brand new game on GAME.co.uk is 32£ which is roughly 36€ with ports included. Well, I got my Zelda OOT (pre-ordered box with the extras) for 25£ only, so it's only a matter of looking... Thanks to being a member of the EU you can import pretty much from any member country for a surprisingly low transport fee.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't waste your money on a second 3DS. Didn't Wii start out region locked and now it's region free? Plus Japanese, I hear, is an incredibly hard language to learn. If you really want these Japanese exclusives, the learn Japanese first.

Off Topic: I can't believe that games in Europe cost more money than in the U.S. (except in the UK )

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't waste your money on a second 3DS. Didn't Wii start out region locked and now it's region free? Plus Japanese, I hear, is an incredibly hard language to learn. If you really want these Japanese exclusives, the learn Japanese first.

Off Topic: I can't believe that games in Europe cost more money than in the U.S. (except in the UK )

They barely drop prices up here, or they use idiotic pricing, like keeping shovelware such as Harry potter games at full price, while masterpieces like rythm heaven and goldeneye rot in the bargain bin.

OT: A big no for this plan, playing with a dictionary, especially when it comes to Japanese games is not my definition of fun. Japanese is very contextual, you can have about five completely different meanings of the same word, hence why google translate flops at translating Japanese. The main problem with this is that you have to search for a translation the whole time while playing the game. You have to pause it every other second to actually understand what is being said. And I'm not even touching the subject on deciphering hiragana/katakana/kanji yet.

Of course there is also the heaps of money you have to fork to actually get the system with games imported from Japan in the first place, which has been mentioned several times.

I'd recommend to look for games cheap on the system that you have. I've got some really good games by doing this, like sin and punishment wii, sengoku basara warriors, medieval total war 2 gold, alone in the dark for pc (ok maybe not that one, but it was only €1,-) and other stuff for an insanely low price. They might be insane at pricing up here, but that works both ways. It saved me tons of money to actually hunt down cheap games and I enjoy most of the games I buy.

Yes I'm a cheapo :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: