Hacking Should I be worried about Fake Gateway cards?

GaaraPrime

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi guys,

A local guy has agreed to get a Gateway card for me at $55 US, but before making the deal, I wanna make sure I get an original Gateway. Now, I have seen the pics and all...

real_vs_fake_1.jpg

And wanted to know, have there been any "new fakes" or something new I should watch out for?

The only reason am going for the local deal is...

1. I can inspect the product and purchase it.
2. I save a lot of money on shipping and customs.
3. I save a horrendous shipping time of 3 to 4 weeks.
4. I'll be getting my Cubic Ninja soon, so am pretty excited.

I would appreciate if you guys can tell me a SURE FIRE WAY to confirm whether it's a fake or not.

Thanx a lot in advance for any info guys :)

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Better get it fast before Nintendo releases another update ;) But this method is quite alright. I would suggest to try the card on the spot, if it doesn't work then you know what to do ;)

GaaraPrime

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Thanx a lot for the help guys. It didn't work out. He apparently had an unsold Gateway which he had for a long time, but apparently when he opened the box, he had lost the red card
sm7_facepalm.gif

The deal obviously couldn't go through.

For now, my current option seems to be YeahGeek.com with $70 with Registered Airmail shipping.

GaaraPrime

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Just buy froma trusted reseller listed on the website.

Yeah, YeahGeek is trusted and many members on GBAtemp ordered theirs off YeahGeek. Also, it's the ONLY WEBSITE which has $4 Registered Airmail shipping to my country. Others are increasing the shipping cost by $10 to $20 US, which is just not feasible.

I know what YeahGeek is providing is just plain shipping but with tracking number and it will take 2 to 4 weeks to reach me, but am perfectly happy with that :)

GaaraPrime

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India

Yes, I just went through the site.

Found playmods.co.uk also does Priority Air Mail for just $5.29. My total price is coming down to $68.86, which is the same as YeahGeek. I just hope Priority Air Mail has tracking number. I have contacted playmods.co.uk.

Let's see how it goes :)

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the OP: Yes, you should be afraid of fake Gateway cards. And I'm not aware of Gateway issuing any notices on how to determine fake Gateway cards and if they keep that information updated and if so, how often they update it.

Updating the FPGA and/or testing the card via diagnostics may indicate a fake Gateway card, however, I"m not sure how helpful that is.

Can someone close this topic? Thank you.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
tbh i dont think he should be worried there was only ever 1....thats right ONE, suspected fake gateway card, and imho i think it was just a card with a manufacturing error, i haven't seen a single other person report that they had a card with a shorter pin, the card in question worked with the official gateway software but simply couldn't update the FPGA when 2.0 was released.....sounds like that manufacturing error just meant that a pin required for updating the FPGA was too short and not making contact

so in answer to the question as long as you buy from a reputable reseller and dont get scammed, actual "fake" cards don't exist, only clones that are branded as such like R4 and 3DSlink, none of these have ever worked with the official gateway software so you will not really find any clones trying to be passed off as legit cards as they simply wouldn't work at all with the gateway software

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s