Should I be worried about Fake Gateway cards?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ravihpa, Mar 18, 2015.

1. ravihpa
    OP

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Hi guys,

A local guy has agreed to get a Gateway card for me at $55 US, but before making the deal, I wanna make sure I get an original Gateway. Now, I have seen the pics and all...

[​IMG]

And wanted to know, have there been any "new fakes" or something new I should watch out for?

The only reason am going for the local deal is...

1. I can inspect the product and purchase it.
    2. I save a lot of money on shipping and customs.
    3. I save a horrendous shipping time of 3 to 4 weeks.
    4. I'll be getting my Cubic Ninja soon, so am pretty excited.

I would appreciate if you guys can tell me a SURE FIRE WAY to confirm whether it's a fake or not.

Thanx a lot in advance for any info guys :)

cvskid and Aman27deep like this.
  2. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Better get it fast before Nintendo releases another update ;) But this method is quite alright. I would suggest to try the card on the spot, if it doesn't work then you know what to do ;)

3. Ugothacked

Ugothacked GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2009
    United States
    Just simply try the diagnostics test, if it passes then its LEGIT

Online likes this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Or try to update the FPGA, I've heard the fakes don't have an updatable FPGA. It should ask to update the FPGA when GW mode is loaded with the latest launcher, if it doesn't then it's probably already updated.

5. ravihpa
    OP

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Thanx a lot for the help guys. It didn't work out. He apparently had an unsold Gateway which he had for a long time, but apparently when he opened the box, he had lost the red card [​IMG]

The deal obviously couldn't go through.

For now, my current option seems to be YeahGeek.com with $70 with Registered Airmail shipping.

6. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Just buy froma trusted reseller listed on the website.

7. ravihpa
    OP

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Yeah, YeahGeek is trusted and many members on GBAtemp ordered theirs off YeahGeek. Also, it's the ONLY WEBSITE which has $4 Registered Airmail shipping to my country. Others are increasing the shipping cost by $10 to $20 US, which is just not feasible.

I know what YeahGeek is providing is just plain shipping but with tracking number and it will take 2 to 4 weeks to reach me, but am perfectly happy with that :)

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Do this.

9. ravihpa
    OP

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Yes, I just went through the site.

Found playmods.co.uk also does Priority Air Mail for just $5.29. My total price is coming down to $68.86, which is the same as YeahGeek. I just hope Priority Air Mail has tracking number. I have contacted playmods.co.uk.

Let's see how it goes :)

10. powersaver

powersaver GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    To the OP: Yes, you should be afraid of fake Gateway cards. And I'm not aware of Gateway issuing any notices on how to determine fake Gateway cards and if they keep that information updated and if so, how often they update it.

Updating the FPGA and/or testing the card via diagnostics may indicate a fake Gateway card, however, I"m not sure how helpful that is.

Can someone close this topic? Thank you.

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    tbh i dont think he should be worried there was only ever 1....thats right ONE, suspected fake gateway card, and imho i think it was just a card with a manufacturing error, i haven't seen a single other person report that they had a card with a shorter pin, the card in question worked with the official gateway software but simply couldn't update the FPGA when 2.0 was released.....sounds like that manufacturing error just meant that a pin required for updating the FPGA was too short and not making contact

so in answer to the question as long as you buy from a reputable reseller and dont get scammed, actual "fake" cards don't exist, only clones that are branded as such like R4 and 3DSlink, none of these have ever worked with the official gateway software so you will not really find any clones trying to be passed off as legit cards as they simply wouldn't work at all with the gateway software

ravihpa likes this.
  12. powersaver

powersaver GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    Anyone determine how many bricks, if any, were caused by Gateway's software?

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    over 9000 last i counted

14. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I thought you wanted this topic closed?