Should I be using a MiniSD with my EZ Flash IV?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by sp957, Apr 24, 2015.

1. sp957
    OP

sp957 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Right now, I am on 1.72 Clearworks on my EZ Flash IV.

I have the regular GBA sized EZ Flash IV cartridge (white) like this one:

http://i.imgur.com/SXdRG.jpg

I used to think MiniSD and MicroSD were the same. Then people were talking about how the EZ Flash uses MiniSD. And I looked at mine, and it says "MicroSD".

So does anybody know what kind of EZ Flash IV I have? I'm supposedly supposed to be using MiniSD, but my MicroSD seems to work fine.

EDIT: Mods, sorry, I posted this in the wrong place. Can you move it here?:

https://gbatemp.net/forums/gba-flashing-hardware-and-software.6/

2. tvoretz

tvoretz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2011
    United States
    Looks like you're using a microSD with a microSD to miniSD adapter. The adapters aren't the most reliable things in the world, so people still tend to recommend actual miniSD cards for the white EZFlash, but you certainly can use the adapters.

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    my card come with a micro to mini sd adapter. which worked just fine...
    i had bought a 512mb MINI sd card just for it.. it cost me 1.5€ with shipping included xD
    i updated to the new firmware (and you should do it to, the update fix lots of stuff)
    but the new update (1.75 and up) breaks some SD (2gb or less) support.. my MINI SD card stopped working on it.. then i had to use a 2gb micro sd card with the adapter..

if your adapter is not a low quality one, and you don't have problems with it, then its fine...
    a real mini sd card is prefered because some people have problems with adapters, but other folks use an adapter just fine.

as for what kind of ez iv you have, well i dont really understand the question xD but you have the MINI sd version. there are the black micro sd versions, they are the new ones... but they are teh same thing basically..

PS: update that thing to 1.75. really. SDHC support (however it may stop working with some <2gb cards) but they improved lots of stuff, specially you will be able to copy 32MB games to NOR!

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    1.76 was the latest I thought...

5. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    and it is not?

6. sp957
    OP

sp957 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Didn't know these things had adapters in them lol. I took mine out, and the big adapter doesn't say "MiniSD Adapter" but "MicroSD Adapter". Does that matter?

Thanks, I will update as soon as I can.

Yea, that "what kind do I have" question didn't really make sense. I thought I had some different white version because I didn't know about these SD Adapters in them, but now I see all these white ones are the same thing.

What about using a MicroSDHC with the MiniSD Adapter? Will that work? Or is this recent MicroSDHC update meant for the newer black EZ Flash IVs?

7. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    the MINI SD version, (the white cards) is the one that i own.
    the new firmware 1.75 was done so it could support SDHC, it was released so people could use the black ones (MICRO SD version) with sdhc cards, since SD cards (not hc) are hard to find..

and as you can read on my previous post, i updated to the new (last) firmware. so yes. you can use the new firmwares on the white ez iv...

the new firmwares (1.75 and 1.76) did fix a lot of stuff like the problem to play 32MB games..
    the firmware 1.75 (and the 1.76) give you SDHC support. but the older cards (less than 2 gb) will probably stop working..
    its a choice.. stick with the old firmware (1.74) and you can use old cards less than 2GB
    or update it. and above using a 32GB card (the entire gba library from that rom website occupies +\-13GB ) you get a much better stock skin than dark vader. the "back to loader" now works for me..
    the saver looks improved and the 32MB games now work

a micro sd, a mini sd, and a micro sd cards are all basically the same thing, just different phisical size.
    you can use adaptors for use either you want, it doesn't matter which one, as long as it fits..
    the adaptor is just a bunch of metal pins for the contacts to get wider and be connected to the other size reader... (for example a mini sd inside a SD adaptor, or a micro sd inside a mini sd..)

however. SD, SDHC and SDXC. are diferent specifications.. the software must be programed to support each one... since ez iv is an old card it was not made with SDHC in mind.. (i dont even think SDHC existed when that card was released :/ or it was very recent...)
    so in order to support the new specifications, they had to update it..

if your adapter says micro sd or mini sd adapter it doesnt matter, its just a plastic shell with pins on it. as long as it fits\same size and works and you have no problems reading\writing using the adaptor. it is fine..
    if you are a curious person heres a picture of a MICRO TO SD adapter: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dPljjNT1...KZqdmT4/s1600/Inside_microSD_Adapter_Pins.jpg