Homebrew Should I attempt to hack my New 3DS XL? (11.0 FW)

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been out of the Softmodding scene for awhile... Mainly becuase I needed a break from it, and it would take up to much of my time I have been avoiding it becuase I wanted to focus on school more so I don't become a moddingholic (If that's even a word.) All I can say is that the work I normally am doing now is a lot more complex than last year so I been avoiding this site to prevent myself getting distracted on purpose.

Yes I still come on here eventually to maybe check something, post, or talk about something but that's a whole other story compared to what I did in the community in the past with the Wii Hacking scene previously. Felt slightly embaraced becuase of it.

So anyway I have been considering Softmodding my New 3ds XL (With 11.0 FW.) To give it some extra features like games, or content, emulators, modifications, and helpful/useful tools like being able to retexture a theme, or boot into certian parts of a 3DS like Homebrew. I have been out of the scene for awhile so I don't know what is and is not possible at the moment.

Keep in mind I can still do it if I wanted to, it's just I won't be able to spend as much time as I normally would tweaking, or fixing something.

My main questions are;
-Should I hack my 3DS?
-How much time would I need to hack such a device to give it the basic Homebrew Features, or fixing it?
-(Besides bricks) Are there any risks involved
-What are the latest Homebrew/Hacking methods, is 11.0 Firmware a good FW Version to use for 3DS hacking?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
11.0 does everything 10.7=> does except piracy and downgrading. So all Homebrew is possible with sdiconhax and Browserhax

D

Deleted-400430

I have been out of the Softmodding scene for awhile... Mainly becuase I needed a break from it, and it would take up to much of my time I have been avoiding it becuase I wanted to focus on school more so I don't become a moddingholic (If that's even a word.) All I can say is that the work I normally am doing now is a lot more complex than last year so I been avoiding this site to prevent myself getting distracted on purpose.

Yes I still come on here eventually to maybe check something, post, or talk about something but that's a whole other story compared to what I did in the community in the past with the Wii Hacking scene previously. Felt slightly embaraced becuase of it.

So anyway I have been considering Softmodding my New 3ds XL (With 11.0 FW.) To give it some extra features like games, or content, emulators, modifications, and helpful/useful tools like being able to retexture a theme, or boot into certian parts of a 3DS like Homebrew. I have been out of the scene for awhile so I don't know what is and is not possible at the moment.

Keep in mind I can still do it if I wanted to, it's just I won't be able to spend as much time as I normally would tweaking, or fixing something.

My main questions are;
-Should I hack my 3DS? It's up to you.
-How much time would I need to hack such a device to give it the basic Homebrew Features, or fixing it? Not that much time, it took me under ten minutes to install Homebrew on my 3DS.
-(Besides bricks) Are there any risks involved Not really.
-What are the latest Homebrew/Hacking methods, is 11.0 Firmware a good FW Version to use for 3DS hacking? Read my sig.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I also heard there was a new exploit to get Homebrew on a 3DS correct? Menuhax now supports 11.0, Freaky Forms Deluxe, and an Internet exploit? Just curious if there were other newer ones I would use it over FreakyForms for the sake of portabillity (I would prefer using a DS Game in the cartridge slot over a game I just use to get into Homebrew.)

I also read some of the hardmod guide and noticed that you can make backups of your NAND, and then install it to the System somehow (I'm assuming it's similar to bootmii on the Wii.) Are you still able to do that without a hardmod, or the DS method mentioned in the guide you linked to me @Lacius

Kloklopfer

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I also heard there was a new exploit to get Homebrew on a 3DS correct? Menuhax now supports 11.0, Freaky Forms Deluxe, and an Internet exploit? Just curious if there were other newer ones I would use it over FreakyForms for the sake of portabillity (I would prefer using a DS Game in the cartridge slot over a game I just use to get into Homebrew.)

I also read some of the hardmod guide and noticed that you can make backups of your NAND, and then install it to the System somehow (I'm assuming it's similar to bootmii on the Wii.) Are you still able to do that without a hardmod, or the DS method mentioned in the guide you linked to me @Lacius
You can still do that via decrypt9 etc but they need arm9 acess and 11.0 locked that. You need to dump your NAND via hardmod or fieldrunner first to get a Firmware below 11.0 and then go on with the softmodding Part to get to a9lh with full acess to the most of the 3ds Features like cfw in your sysNAND and arm9 acess even before your ds boots. If you dont want to hardmod it you would have to wait till the next update and that Nintendo doesnt discover the new exploits. But dont quote me on that because the last Part are just rumours

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You should just stick to menuhax. FreakyFormHax is unreliable, and the carts are hard to come by now. Menuhax is free, and starts on boot

imRed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Personally prefer steelhax over menuhax, simply because i hated the freezes when leaving the friends menu in the home menu and the reappearing surprise boxes of games downloaden after installing menuhax.

Last edited by imRed,

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it sounds like Nintendo is trying to completely block people from Softmodding their 3DS. Bummer

Since I'm not a solderer either it's going to be diffcult for me to acomplish such a task (No one in my Familly, or anyone I know has soldered before.) The FW on the 3DS actually used to be 9.0 or something like that but my sister updated it at one point so now I am stuck with an 11.0 FW Version. Which I am still fine with but is a hardmod/DS method of downgrading really that destructive?

So will there also be random moments of bricks occurring, such as while booting into to the home menu, going on eShop, playing a game, or generally using it? Becuase I heard that there was a rare occurance that while using an application there was a chance of your console bricking.

PrometheusG.

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Eshop has a maintenance update right now (last 5 minutes I checked) so I if they didn't remove it you should download the game(steel diver: sub wars)

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Eshop has a maintenance update right now (last 5 minutes I checked) so I if they didn't remove it you should download the game(steel diver: sub wars)

Wondering if they finally got around to removing Fieldrunners/Legends of Whatever. Oh well, I managed to grab a copy before they did maintenance.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I saw the game in the eShop a few times but I never wanted to grab it. :/ thanks for telling me though.

I'm just going to wait until the aftermath of the next 3ds like console comes out (One that replaces the 3ds with next gen hardware.) (Well eventually, probably the "NEW 4DS Virtual Reality!") Lawl

I just want to be safe with using it... If I had a spare 3ds to expirment on then I would try to softmod it just to be safe but I don't have one at the moment. I'm also really enjoying it right now so I'm just hopefully going to wait, and see what happens from here (in the future.) Hopefully Nintendo doesn't completely kill the modding community :(.

imRed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why would you wait with enabling the possibility to run homebrew on your 3ds? Afaik, nothing seriously can be damaged with userland exploits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.