Hacking Should I Always Update rxtools' CFW to highest firmware?

Calico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Should I update it to 10.3 as of now, or use an updater to update emunand to 9.0-9.2? Should I block Nintendo's updates on my emunand, (doesn't anyone have advice on how I should do so?)

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Block Nintendo, and don't update to 10.3. Doing so will actually update your SysNand and you're screwed. RxTools doesn't support anything past 9.5.

Karuta

Trophies
XP
Country
The latest rxTools nightlies (lavanoid.github.io) support emuNAND 10.3 on Old 3DS and 9.5 on New 3DS. You can update if you'd like, but make sure you only do it you're using emuNAND. If you update your sysNAND past 9.2, you will lose the ability to access rxTools.

If you're using an Old 3DS (or XL, or 2DS) then you can just update from system settings (on emuNAND of course).
If you're using a New 3DS (or XL) then use sysUpdater and the 9.5 update pack from your region (available on a certain ISO site).

Karuta

Trophies
XP
Country
It must not include the 2DS because I wasn't able to get on the latest FW
The latest rxTools nightlies support 10.3 emuNAND on everything except the New3DS/New3DSXL. Same for Gateway and other CFWs. It's not due to limitations of the CFW, it's just because 9.6+ encryption hasn't been broken yet on the New 3DS.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The latest rxTools nightlies support 10.3 emuNAND on everything except the New3DS/New3DSXL. Same for Gateway and other CFWs. It's not due to limitations of the CFW, it's just because 9.6+ encryption hasn't been broken yet on the New 3DS.
Gotcha. Thanks. :)

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are nightly builds by other users. I'm not into using those from other people. If you got your version of RxTools from the offical Github or the website, don't update. Otherwise, if you're using the nightly builds from other users, you might be okay to update.

I have an o3DS with the official 2.6 rxTools release and emunand 10.3 works just fine.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I update it to 10.3 as of now, or use an updater to update emunand to 9.0-9.2? Should I block Nintendo's updates on my emunand, (doesn't anyone have advice on how I should do so?)
While in Emunand you can update through the system settings app.

Calico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have an Old 3DS, 4.4 sysnand as of now. I'm thinking of getting rxtools CFW and then updating my sysnand to 9.2 to autoboot. It's just that I don't know if I should always be updating emunand to 10.3 right now or update it to a lower version; any benefits of updating emunand to 9.2 vs 10.3?

Karuta

Trophies
XP
Country
I have an Old 3DS, 4.4 sysnand as of now. I'm thinking of getting rxtools CFW and then updating my sysnand to 9.2 to autoboot. It's just that I don't know if I should always be updating emunand to 10.3 right now or update it to a lower version; any benefits of updating emunand to 9.2 vs 10.3?

You can update your sysNAND to 9.2 easily enough through sysUpdater, just make sure you use a CFW without firmlaunch (PastaCFW / rxTools dev mode) while you're doing it. Gateway launcher or standard rxTools will cause a brick.

Main advantages of 10.3 emuNAND are not having to spoof the eShop or firmware spoof games that require higher firmware. Apart from that not much, but its easy to do so I'd recommend it.

Last edited by Karuta,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvojgRvNriw