should clone r4 be teated as genuine r4?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by denots, Oct 16, 2008.

Oct 16, 2008
  1. denots
    OP

Newcomer denots Member

United States
    should clone r4 be treated as genuine r4? like for the correct dldi patches, emulators and programs? i know the clones dont do everything the R4 does, but my clone can read sdhc. what other differences are known?
    i am having issues getting nesds running, as soon as it loaded it froze on a white screen, i patched it with the dldi for r4 and now it freezes on a black screen. not sure if the dldi patch i have should be for something other then r4 or do clones have issues with nesds.

sorry for the new, same old R4ds sdhc question.

2. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    As far as I understand, the fakes just use an unencrypted version of the REAL R4's firmware loader that was simply hex edited to look like a newer firmware, so you should not have to DLDI patch files for the card, they should "just work" as the REAL R4 auto-patched the DLDI.

Did you try just running the NESds file without DLDI patching? If it still didn't work, maybe you just have a bad version of NESds.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if you dldi patch with the r4 patch run it through a nopatch utility to block out the patch area of the rom. this way you can guarantee that what you are launching has the official r4 dldi patch. as for the clones they use a decrypted and hacked version of the 1.18 firmware. other than that i can't comment because i don't own one.

-another world

4. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    "should clone r4 be teated as genuine r4?"

Are you thinking of breastfeeding it?

5. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    The R4 clones are about as real as the N5 and the MARS.

6. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    there's nothing much different, really. Because there was no real DS bricker firmware, a clone R4 will be as good as a genuine.