Should Big N fear Project Natal

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by EnigmaXtreme, Jun 1, 2009.

Jun 1, 2009
  1. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    After seeing Microsoft announce this "Project Natal" it got me thinking how Nintendo is going to react to this, not to mention the jab Kudo made against Nintendo Wii

I personally predict that this will ultimatelly fail due to faulty hardware and or lawsuits due to injuries XD. I mean using the wiimote is one thing, actually doing it is another

Thoughts?

2. Jackreyes

Jackreyes Newbie

If there are FPS-like or games with murder/killing involved, and you have to do it... it will make the argument that video games cause violence will be much more relevant.
    I think it could potentially give video games a bad name. Saying that, it could be amazing, and I have no doubt it will be as good as, if not better than the Wii's feeble attempt.

I hope this does do well, and I hope it does stop people buying the Wii... Give Nintendo something to think about...

3. Pimpmynintendo

Member Pimpmynintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It would also have to be just gimmick games, I can't see playing any great epic games with it period unless the WHOLE game was on rails. Even if they did add a nunchuck a lot of gamers want to relax when playing the really great video games.

4. nightwalker

Member nightwalker GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    how does that thing work? like the eyetoy?

Notice how in the videos only one person is standing? I wonder if it can support multiplayers? One of the biggest reasons why the Wii was a huge success was because of the multiplayer support found on wii sports

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i hope m$ get sued by both Nintendo and sony for once again stealing ideas it's what they do BEST. [​IMG]

6. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Uhhh how? No one has ever used this technology before. No, eyetoy does not count.

Should Nintendo worry? Of course. But to what extent shall be determined. Its way too early to determine the Natal's success. I don't think it will fail. It's almost impossible with Microsoft shipping it with all xboxs when it finally launches. I just don't think it will be as popular as the Wii is/was.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    bs it's a complete rip off of the wii and if your defending it your clearly an xbot

8. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Nintendo's feeble attempt also can go back to the lazy ass software development, not the hardware itself. The problem here is that both Nintendo and 3rd parties are bloody lazy and haven't put in any serious attempts to make Wii games have some depth, they don't have the imagination to do it and all the crap that is getting spewed from their asses.

As for this, it's just a bloody camera the detects motion, anyone who thinks that motion sensing is a new idea is an idiot too cause it has existed for ages now, just has never been implimented into gaming like this. I can see it failing really hard, no one wants to play one dimensional fighting games that look like they are on rails.

9. DSGamer64

Canada
    Yes it is copying. The Eyetoy sensed motion and depicted it in game, the Wiimote's motions are detected in game via the sensor bar, both use some form of motion sensor technology and at least Sony has grounds to sue because it is copyright infringement since the Eyetoy copies human movement.

10. Pimpmynintendo

Member Pimpmynintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually the technologies are drastically different from the wiimote, so stop being retarded saying its ripping the wii. It would be closer to being a ripoff of the eyetoy

11. DSGamer64

Canada
    I did, learn to fucking read moron.

And it's still a gimmick attempt at copying motion sensor ideas from both Nintendo and Sony, not as bad as that giant dildo looking thing that's supposed to be a 360 motion sensor controller.

12. bytor

Member bytor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not drastically different as far as I understand it. The main difference is that the camera for the 360 motion sensing is around your telly and the camera for the Wii motion sensing is in the remote.

Whether it fails or not will be determined by third party support, but I personally think that gamers will prefer motion sensing control implementation to involve actually having a control of some sort in the hands. Red Steel 2 is the perfect example. Playing that game using the 360s motion control method would feel odd unless you're actually holding something. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

13. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    What a fucking idiot. First off calling me an "xbot" shows your immaturity. Secondly, no I am not an xbox fanboy. I'm a proud (and not naive) Nintendo fanboy. I've had a Nintendo console since I was born. I know the industry and I know enough to say Nintendo should be afraid. We have known about the camera for over a year now. Look up the Z camera. It was at last years E3 under someone else. Microsoft just bought the rights. And no just becasue it uses motion controls doesn't mean its a rip off. I would LOVE to see someone as stupid as you lead a lawsuit like this.

14. itsmeoreo

Newcomer itsmeoreo Member

United States
    i dont think nintendo is fearing NATAL. they probably already have something planned for the next console. NATAL seems interesting, but i want to see it in action with a legitimate game (no wii sports-like game or minigames). i bet this was Microsoft's thought process when it came to NATAL: "hey, if you cant beat em, join em."

despite a nice show and great demo of NATAL, i think i'll still be getting a ps3 this summer.

15. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Sigh....Bladexdsl. Sigh...is all I can muster.

I hope this does well. Competition is always good, maybe it'll push nintendo to put a bit more effort into making deeper games.

16. DSGamer64

Canada
    See, since it's not a mandatory piece of hardware, it will fail because it's not required to play all games and will probably wind up like some Wii titles where it's just shallow stuff like Wii Sports. Besides, how many kids are actually going to want to get up and actually move when playing a fighting game? Who wants to hold up their arms while pretending to hold a steering wheel when you can either use the Wii alternative or buy a damn wheel and you won't look like a tool using those devices. The Wiimote is required for pretty much every game on the console, since this new thing is just a peripheral, it won't last long.

17. frantier123

Member frantier123 GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    If Microsoft can upgrade, I dun see why Big N won't.

If this really get into a console war, I think Big N will indeed do something about it.

Perhaps in time, you might just see WiiCam -.-"

Edit: Pretty obvious that I am just joking about the WiiCam thing.

18. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Motion sensing with a camera =/= motion sensing via a moving controller.

In addition, if you want to claim that this is a rip-off of the Wii, then you'd have to acknowledge that the Wii is a rip-off of the PS2 Eyetoy.

The Eyetoy used motion as an input for the games designed for it, and the Wii uses the motion of its controller as input for its games. I don't think this is a ripoff, but if controller to camera is a ripoff, then the other way around must also be true.

19. Maat

Newcomer Maat Member

Brazil
    I don't think Nintendo is really scared, after all they still have Mario. Mario is like the trump card of Nintendo, anything with his name just sell it.....beyond that they still make a lot of good games, so M$ has a new controller..... so what, they still need games and we need to see if it really works like they say, after all, a lot of products of M$ show some kind of defect. Don't try to say anything the xbox 360 have mistakes, the windows have mistakes, the zune have mistakes (the bug in the new year).

20. frantier123

Member frantier123 GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    I think wad they are saying here the ripping of design and the functions.

Project Natal = EyeToy because they are both camera, and both capture human environment

Project Natal =/= Wii Remote w/ Nunchuck =/= Eye Toy because Wii remote is just wii remote, it is not camera or wadsoever, and it dosen't capture human environment

So, let's say if Microsoft's Project Natal is not a camera, and it's something else, assuming it is a suite, I dun think the problem of 'ripping' they are talking here arrive.