Hacking Shortening Laser Life?

Fidyyuan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know exactly how badly Verbatim DLs are shortening the life of a Wii instead of using a retail version of a DL game? Approx 9 hours are spent a day playing this game so...would my Wii die pretty soon? Would I be better off picking up the retail version?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not thinking about it at all. I just use every type of DVD+R that I come across and just play.

If my Wii dies soon, I'll start to worry, but until then I've had so much fun
smile.gif

PS: I think it is a bit of a myth that certain brands tend to shorten the laser's life. I think some unit's lasers are just shoddy, just as with the DS's touch screen. I've bought three DS Lites and finally the last one had a decent touch screen.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've launch wii (almost 1.5 year old? i dunno.) and used only backups and wii sports on it. The laser keeps weird noise, but it still works. :| So it should last for some time, but then again i don't play almost at all with wii.
If i remember right launch wii's had bad lasers to start with. :|

Fidyyuan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if anyone has any actual numbers on how badly the laser gets affected by burned media (even if it is 1st class media). I remember playing backups with a PS2 for years and the laser still works well to this day. Is this case irrelevant because the PS2's laser is better than the Wii's?

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Fidyyuan said:
I wonder if anyone has any actual numbers on how badly the laser gets affected by burned media (even if it is 1st class media). I remember playing backups with a PS2 for years and the laser still works well to this day. Is this case irrelevant because the PS2's laser is better than the Wii's?
That's impossible(?)! I played with my PS2 for 1,99 years, and the laser just died. Poor... he was just near the 2 years... but died before...
cry.gif

hendu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it physically possible for the type of media you are using to effect the laser? The laser is either on or off, how can the material it shines on make 1 bit of difference?

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hendu said:
How is it physically possible for the type of media you are using to effect the laser? The laser is either on or off, how can the material it shines on make 1 bit of difference?

This is exactly what I say whenever someone brings up the subject of laser life. I think the whole thing is a crock of shit honestly. Your laser is as likely to die with retail games as with bootlegs. I've had my Dreamcast for over 7 years and the laser is still going strong despite all the backups I played with it. The same thing goes for my Gamecube. I'm not even worrying about my 360's laser right now. I still think laser death is just plain ole random hardware failure
ph34r.gif

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
hendu said:

someone will no doubt try and tell you soon in this thread that...

(voice of dweeb) "When the laser can't read the disc it will self power itself up in an effort to read, this will shorten the life of your laser" sniffle sniffle snort

of course it doesn't and will simply throw up a disc error after just a couple of attempts, lasers just degrade the more you use them, backups tend to fail first as they are not as easy to read as originals.

olo567

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
Replacement lasers are around $50 which is really expensive.

Hahaha, you're kidding right? So he should spend $50 on a retail game instead of spending $50 somewhere down the line for a laser?

Lasers don't work harder or anything. They can be powered up to an extent, but retail versions of SSBB use nearly the full power anyway. There's nothing to worry about.

MrDo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to argue the fact that playing backups doesnt destroy your lazer.. But other people have told me backups (especially dual layer) will kill your lazer faster.

i dont know if i belive it. But i can say when playing backups my Wii dvd drive does work a bit harder.. i can hear it buzzing and clicking.

I am not too worried tho. I think the lazer thing is a crock as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.