OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok so here's the deal:

On my netbook I recently moved steam to an 8GB SD card I have to save space on the main harddrive. Since then, I have put a number of other games on there. Now, my question is whether or not it is possible to make shortcuts on the root of the drive to the executables also located on the SD card. The problem is with Window's drive letter (C:\,F:\ etc.) system every time I make a shortcut when windows maps my SD card to another drive letter in the future none of the shortcuts work. One solution I have come up with is to try and use .bat files instead of actual shortcuts. So,

1. Is there any possible way in windows to make shortcuts in windows that will point to the same file, on the same drive, regardless of what windows has named it?
2. Is there a way to make a batch file that will close/not open a CMD window before booting the program? (With the low end specs of the netbook I've noticed when ANY other windows are opened it lowers performance lol)

BTW, I have read that changing the Drive letter for the SD permanently in disc management would work but I want to use this card on other computers so if possible I'd like to find another solution.

Any help with this would nbe greatly appreciated
smile.gif

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Assign the card a drive letter.

Here's how.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that changing the drive letter doesn't affect other computers.
Sorry, I missed that bit the first time around.

EDIT2: Even in the off chance that it actually does change it on other computers, it doesn't matter anyways. So it's a different letter. What's that going to change? I have Steam on an external harddrive for my computer, assigned it a letter, and my brother uses that drive as well. He has no issues, so I'm assuming it doesn't matter.

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:
Assign the card a drive letter.

Here's how.

.I wrote about why I don't wanna do that haha. When you assign a drive letter to a drive it'll save it in the registry for that computer, but if you plug it into another computer that one won't use the letter.

EDIT: haha ok thats cool

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow thanks so much dude I don't know how I never found this... works perfectly; the battoexe program has an option built in to hide the cmd window, and since they are .exe files it allows icons too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended