Shortage of DS lites?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by ZuluEdison, Dec 19, 2006.

Dec 19, 2006

Shortage of DS lites? by ZuluEdison at 7:16 AM (2,393 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. ZuluEdison
    OP

Newcomer ZuluEdison Member

United States
    I went around all over my city today insearch of a single ds lite...and could not find any. when i got home i decided to check the internet, and now i'm a bit confused...
    why are the white ds lites selling for 200+ on amazon? (http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Polar-White/dp/B000FO4KO8/sr=8-1/qid=1166512497/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6821733-5496934?ie=UTF8&s=videogames) is there a shortage of some sort? I didn't anticipate any kind of problems in getting one, i'm very confused, if anyone could shed some light on this, it'd be appreciated.

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Are they packaged? Meaning does it come with extras? That'd explain the high price.

However, yea I'd suspect that there would be a major shortages of DSes at retail stores the week before Christmas.

Note:

Checked it out. These aren't any of the retail stores. They are usually resellers taking advantage of a shortage.

3. ZuluEdison
    OP

United States
    hmmm, well that sucks.

thanks for the response, though

4. HelloKitty

Member HelloKitty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    there are plenty at Walmart... I was just there.. You should call up your nearest Walmart to check it out.. hope you find one [​IMG]

5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    well, one place here in aus was sold out of blacks, but hte next place i went ot had them, so i'm happy ^^.

i guess this is a meaningless post considering our places of residence....

6. ZuluEdison
    OP

United States
    haha, no that's interesting.

i still haven't been able to get one (any color). best buy got a shipment of 40 2 days ago and sold out between when they opened, and 11 that same morning.

i was really hoping to get one before i left for florida, but i guess i'll just have to wait till i get back...ohhhh well.

and it's entirely possible walmart has some, hellokitty,( but actually given the responses everywhere else i've gone...i doubt it) i just refuse to shop there. but where i live i know very few people share my sentiments so i would assume walmart would actually sell out first.

7. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Funny I just had a friend ask me the same question & I tolled him to look in places that are not known to carry video games, like Sears & stores like that. But for the hell of it he go’s in to the nearest E.B Games & they have both the white & black DS so with that in mind, try everywhere.

8. science

Member science science rules

Canada

Sears sells video games??

9. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Not only duz Sears sell video games, but Kmart bought Sears & they sell them as well. [​IMG]

10. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    I ordered an Onyx Black on 12/20/2006 at Amazon.com 3-4 am in the morning Central Time (-06GMT). I paid amazon.com and amazon.com is shipping to me by 12/29 (super SAVER SHIPPING!!).

The item was out of stock in no time after that time period in which I bought it!

What does this all mean? Watch closely if you REALLY REALLY want a ds lite. I just happen to stumble upon an available stock 3 in the mornin' on amazon.com. The supply of ds lites is trickling like a dying river during the holidays.

11. ZuluEdison
    OP

United States
    allright, this is fucking ridiculous.

nintendo seriously needs to get their act together.

i started this thread the 19th of december, i'd already been looking for one a week before that.

it is now Jan 26, and i have gone atleast twice a week since that date to the local best buys, target, and compusas, and not once have they ever been in stock.

how is that possible?
    i mean shit, it's called moving your stock around, if what you guys said is still true about stock still being in, in canada...come on nintendo, it's a business 101 strategy.

12. archagon

Member archagon GBAtemp Regular

United States
  13. Kaphis

Member Kaphis GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    its "focus all their resource on the wii" stradegy XD

14. ZuluEdison
    OP

United States
    ds lites? what nonesense is this! [​IMG] Wii must suceed, WII

15. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    They are SOLD out everywhere and nintendo is out too there making a new batch

EBgames tell me more will come in FEBUARY !!!!!! :-(

16. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    My friend's nephew and niece each wanted one for their birthday(s), but they both had to get Pink ones because they are out everywhere else. And their birthday was last week. A couple of my friends were looking for them recently, and also couldn't find them (of ANY color). It seems that there is a manufacturing shortage or something...

My advice to someone with $130 to spare is to buy any black or white DS Lite that you happen to find and sell it online for lots of profit. [​IMG]

17. warlock110

Newcomer warlock110 Member

i got a pink one today... plan to get a white case for it.. pink on white/ white on pink people won't notice a 5'10 guy carrying a pink ds haha. they've told me the batch is comming in in feb... but at this rate we're probably looking at the end of feb or march... scew that i want to play NOW.

18. TheGuyWhoShotU

Newcomer TheGuyWhoShotU Member

United States
    when I tried getting mine I had to run all around town lol.

19. iisdev

Newcomer iisdev Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    post deleted by author.
    reason: CNET affiliation

20. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    The shop were I work (Game UK) has plenty of models at the moment, about 50 in total probably. There were a few stock issues but that was due to increased demand over Christmas... we still managed to get exactly the same amount delivered constantly. So it seems more that Nintendo didn't expect as much as a demand this Christmas as it got. The same happened with the Xbox 360 though, but they were mainly substitution sales from the Wii.