Homebrew Shopping for a DS flash cart for the first time

zarion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, I'm shopping for a DS flash cart for the first time in my life and would like to know the following:
>Which flash cart is the best in your opinion
>Which one would you recommend?
>Are there DS flash carts that can emulate GBA or N64 games?
>Legit sites for buying the hardware

Price is not an issue

Also, I've heard many good things about the R4, but there are so many fakes out there...

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zarion said:
Hi, I'm shopping for a DS flash cart for the first time in my life and would like to know the following:
>Which flash cart is the best in your opinion
>Which one would you recommend?
>Are there DS flash carts that can emulate GBA or N64 games?
>Legit sites for buying the hardware

Price is not an issue

Also, I've heard many good things about the R4, but there are so many fakes out there...
The original R4 is good and cheap when loaded with the correct firmware.

But since you're looking to emulate GBA games then my pick for you would the Supercard DS 2 as it can emulate GBA and SNES without a slot-2 card. I don't believe any card does N64. A legit site to buy it from would be GBATemp's own Shoptemp.net.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Hi and welcome to GBAtemp (Im from Norway too
biggrin.gif
).

1.The flashcard best in my opinion must be the newly released DSTWO that everybody talks about.
tongue.gif

2. Since you said price was not a issue, I would recommend either the DSTWO or the Acekard.
3. The DSTWO can play GBA games and somebody is working on a N64 emulator too (I dont think its going to be so very playable though.)
4. In Norway there is Modnet.no (bought from there many times without problems
wink.gif
) and Kemboland.no.

There is no DSTWO available on Modnet, but there are one on kemboland.no:

http://kemboland.no/index.php?main_page=ad...amp;x=0&y=0

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zarion said:
A friend of mine says the Cyclo DS is one of the best and that it can emulate N64.
Is this true?

I am the proud owner of a CycloDS Evolution and I can say...

No, tell your friend to shut up.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zarion said:
A friend of mine says the Cyclo DS is one of the best and that it can emulate N64.
Is this true?
No, None of the flashcarts can play N64 games, the DS just is just not powerful enough. The PSP can just barely cut it, though Playing through SSB on the PSP was not very pleasant without any sound, and the framerate was somewhat glitchy for me. If this is your first time buying a flashcart, a simple R4 would be your choice if you aren't good with those kind of things, unless you want to play newer games. I started out with an R4 clone, and it did the job right.

A legit site for flashcarts is definately, Shoptemp. I have never bought anything from there, but I did have a friend on GBAtemp to buy me a Micro SD adapter, and it works great.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If price isn't an issue, just get the DSTWO as it pretty much does everything any other cart does.

The DSTWO has an additional processor built into the cart and memory which it uses for emulation. While it does GBA emulation, it isn't quite as good as the real thing. There is is some button lag/ frame skipping in a few games, but on the whole people seem happy with it. If you have a DS Lite, you can always use a Slot-2 Expansion such as the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 which does a better job and will work with the DSTWO/ Acekard/ R4.

N64 on a DS? unlikely to ever happen with decent frame rates.

As Jon has said, the R4 is decent with the Wood firmware but doesn't work with SDHC MicroSD cards. You just have to make sure you get one which is a 1:1 clone, as the R4 is no longer produced by teh original team and also no longer supported. The ShopTemp R4's which work with Wood are here. Wood R4 gives the R4 compatibility with the latest releases, it only works on the original R4 or 1:1 clones. It will not work on any R4i or R4 SDHC.

ShopTemp are affilated with this site, so will normally be recommended and are legit. They ship from HK, which may be a good thing given the recent UK/ Dutch court cases. I've no idea of any retailers in Norway. The DSTWO is $35, which at current exchange rates is 208.5 Norwegian Krone.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
so i guess from the above u could decide... if u have a DSi then Supercard DSTWO would be great but if u want more community help, R4 on DS lite is best and your norwegian brother just gave u some sites and i also recommend shoptemp ( u can totally be secure and sure of it)

zarion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
shakirmoledina said:
so i guess from the above u could decide... if u have a DSi then Supercard DSTWO would be great but if u want more community help, R4 on DS lite is best and your norwegian brother just gave u some sites and i also recommend shoptemp ( u can totally be secure and sure of it)
OK, thanks for the help so far, guys.

I'm thinking of getting one of these

Which would be best?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
zarion said:
shakirmoledina said:

Which would be best?
Of those two, Acekard 2i by a mile.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As i've said, don't touch the R4i's with a barge pole. They are normally unsupported pieces of crap.

The Acekard 2i is good, but that site wants 225,00 ink. mva (VAT?) ($37) for one. They are robbing you blind.

If you have a DSi, you will not be able to play GBA roms at all on either cart.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UniqueGeek said:
zarion said:
shakirmoledina said:

Which would be best?

Of those two, Acekard 2i by a mile.
Much much much more than a mile....

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Aug 9 2010, 02:14 PM)
As i've said, don't touch the R4i's with a barge pole. They are normally unsupported pieces of crap.

The Acekard 2i is good, but that site wants 225,00 ink. mva ($37) for one. They are robbing you blind.
$37!?!?!? That's ridiculous. Get it from ShopTemp (which happens to be down at the writing of this post; how convenient....)

EDIT: nevermind, its back up. Mods are fast.

zarion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
tk_saturn said:

The Acekard 2i is good, but that site wants 225,00 ink. mva ($37) for one. They are robbing you blind.
But the other one wants 449 NOK ink frakt for a DSTWO.

zarion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
tk_saturn said:
Do you not have a PayPal account?
I do, but it usually takes 2-5 days from the moment i make the deposit until it appears in my paypal balance.
Also, I prefer regular transactions.

EDIT: Is the DSTWO really that much better than the other options?
Shipping will take a long time if I order it from shoptemp.

Thinking back on the money issue I don't want to spend more than 50-70 usd on my card.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shipping from ShopTemp will normally take 1-2 weeks to the UK. I'm guessing it should be similar for Norway.

The reason people are saying the DSTWO is so much better, is because you meantioned GBA and i'm guessing you have a DSi as you linked to 2 DSi carts. If you have a DSi and want to play GBA games, it's your only real option. If you can live without GBA support, then the Acekard is fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: bored, guess i'll spread more democracy