1. LittleFlame

LittleFlame Local Bruh.

Netherlands
    Jesus christ the screaming at the end of that video

2. WildDog

WildDog GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    The issue with that, is that you don't know the intention of the theft.. He may just want to take your stuff and leave you, or he may want to hurt or kill as well.
    I know you are from Canada, that's why i put the marstar.ca example, but since i read your post that you are not against banning but making better background checks. I do agree with you on that.

3. drazenm
    This message by drazenm has been removed from public view by Chary, Aug 27, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    Aug 26, 2018 Show
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ Grumpy Enby

Antarctica
    Because it's easier to repeat the thoughts and prayers cycle if we avoid the issues.

5. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Don't want to sound insensitive but is the killer going to be made out as lone wolf or has mental illness?

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    The NRA is quite literally the reason that all US gun registration is done on paper; they managed to convince the Supreme Court (read: paid a shitton of money on lawyers) that a searchable digitized database was unconstitutional

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Depends on their race

Pluupy, VinsCool and ganons like this.
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Supervisor

Poland
    I really hate when shootings like these happen because, as tragic as they are, they're immediately repurposed as ammunition for the anti-2nd Amendment crowd, even before the blood is dry and the bodies cold. Every single day I keep hearing that mass shootings are now part and parcel of American life when in reality violent crime across the board is at an all-time low. In fact, once you factor in that most "mass shootings" are inner city gang violence using illegal guns and not what the average person understands as a mass shooting, as in a maniac shooting random people, your likelihood of ever being in one becomes slightly higher than that of being hit by lightning. This thread is no different - it only took a handful of replies before the big question was asked. The actual question being posed is "what is the cost of freedom?", not "why do people need guns?" - self-preservation is a natural instinct and self-defense is an inalienable right, people must pursue it unrestricted if they are to be free. Tyranny is always preceeded by confiscation of arms as only an unarmed populace is docile. Americans are one of the few nations that still have their inalienable rights and I hope they retain them, as heartbreaking as this kind of news is. There will always be crazy, evil people out there, but law must be tailored to the majority, not the exceptions.

the_leg, Stephano, snails1221 and 3 others like this.
  8. Whole lotta love

Whole lotta love GBAtemp Regular

United States
    funny how it's never "too soon" if the shooter is black or brown.

RIP to the murdered, wishing a fast and full recovery to those injured.

invaderyoyo and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  9. GhostLatte

GhostLatte GBAtemp's Official Van Master™

Antarctica
    Waiting for the media to spin this and blame video games as the issue rather than proper gun control.

10. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

United States
    Preaching for nuclear genocide is a pretty bold move on your part.
    Especially considering that kind of thing is frowned upon pretty much globally.

11. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    We've more shootings and killings now a days than in the old west before we started data basing, before the mass prison system, and most importantly before the mass media as it exists today.

12. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    because this was a guy who lost in the tourney ergo not terrorism.

oddly enough video games are partly to blame because someone who hates loosing decided to join a game tournament.

the rates are much lower than they used to be. The problem is that the news prey on negative events that make us afraid or angry as it brings in more ratings. the spin and higher occurrences of these shootings being televised are purely greed from some sick people.

13. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  14. zeveroth

zeveroth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The sheriff said it was 3 fatalities including the 24 yr old who shot himself. 9 others shot 2 injured

15. Subtle Demise

United States
    It was orignally in the constitution as a deterrent against tyranny, among other reasons. I think the government would like to end all gun ownership, but there are so many in circulation now that it wouldn't be feasible to get rid of them all.

16. kingfrost

kingfrost GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes the bad people re the people simply reporting what happens not the ones who push for fear tactics about gun control to sell more guns while making it easier, and easier to buy them legally.

Its clear that both sides are politicizing a tragedy here but only one is acting like this sort of tragedy must be a fact of life .

17. Lilith Valentine

Antarctica
    That is a terrible excuse for terrorism.

18. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    terrorism means: the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. this is not terrorism

19. Lilith Valentine

Antarctica
    You got me there, there doesn't appear to be a political, religious, nor any motive beyond being a poor loser. At the same it does pose an argument for better mental screening. If this was a reaction from a poor loser, then it's obvious that he wasn't mentally sound from the start and shouldn't have been able to buy a gun on those grounds alone.

NFates likes this.
  20. MaverickWellington

United States
    I hope as many people as possible got out okay. This is depressing as shit to see.

TotalInsanity4 and Subtle Demise like this.
  21. Subtle Demise

United States
    If you think it's better anywhere else, what about the UK and having a CCTV camera on every street corner? What about making knives illegal? People get arrested for being mean on facebook for Christ's sake.

My point is, governments aroubd the world are perpetuating the police state and people are acting out. We live in a world where everyone is treated as a potential criminal, guilty until proven innocent. Police shoot first and ask questions later. People wonder why I think that government has no right to have a monopoly on violence.

If the person who did this had no access to a gun, they would have gotten creative and attacked with something far more sinister. Crude explosive devices and incendiaries like molotov cocktails are easy to make and rarely require any sort of controlled substance. The number of people you can kill with a gun is limited to how much ammunition you can carry. Potential kill counts of bombs and napalm are much higher. Even simple arson has the potential to kill an entire building plus even more if the fire spreads.

People who commit these terrible acts are depraved and borderline subhuman. Don't underestimate the lengths they would go to in order to destroy as many lives as possible. The shooter at least had the decency to kill himself before he took any more lives. I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for the survivors and the families of the dead and hope that someday they'll be able to recover from the loss and horror.

Ryccardo and Delerious like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - tournament, Shooting, Florida