1. Dodain47

OP Dodain47 GBAtemp Addict

Austria
    Cturt developed shogihax, Remote Code Execution on Nintendo 64 with Morita Shogi 64.

Morita Shogi 64 is the only official N64 game to include a modem built-into the cartridge to support unique online-play functionality.
    He chose Morita Shogi 64 over the N64DD since it is cheaper and easier to obtain.
    The ability to easily transfer arbitrary data to the game through this interface made it an attractive target to analyse.
    He made a proof-of-concept 'Homebrew Channel' for the initial release which demonstrates drawing to a double buffered framebuffer, and downloading/uploading data over the modem.

Github page:https://github.com/CTurt/shogihax
    More information on the source link.

Source:https://cturt.github.io/shogihax.html

2. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Pretty cool stuff!

Dodain47 likes this.
  3. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    This is next level hacking.
    Imagine making a Game Boy or NES emulator for the N64 from this and giving it netplay.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If someone does pull this off, our next target is giving RetroArch 3DS netplay where each player uses their player 1 controls, meaning that RetroArch 3DS multiplayer no longer requires a remappable controller. (Single-device multiplayer was nonfunctional until recently, but I proposed the question of why, Zense helped spread the word and reached out and MrHuu figured it out and fixed it in the main commit. By 1.8.6, all cores now have working multiplayer.)

Dodain47 likes this.
  4. ItsAshleyFTW

ItsAshleyFTW GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There's already a NES emulator for the N64 (https://hcs64.com/neon64.html). No netplay though.

5. KiiWii

KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    I have a copy of this game and the DD modem cart, it’s pretty rad.

I wish Cturt would hit the PS4 again...

6. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    I figured.
    However, with the exception of Retroarch, it's not exactly that easy to add netplay to an existing emulator that was likely made years ago by a user that has likely abandoned it. (If there seriously is an NES emulator for the N64 with ongoing development and updates, please tell me.)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - shogihax, Nintendo, Homebrew