Hacking SHOCK! Shells semi review

ozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricked. The kit was missing two pieces, so originals were used as substitutes. The Y button and the bottom half of the GBA slot cover. They did include an extra A button to make up for it though :-/ The packaging was nice enough and they shipped it out fast. Too bad about the whole bricking my DS thing. Reusing the original screws was a huge mistake I think. Anyone who doesn’t clean the plasic ribbon from the screw threads before reuse, is probably going to get screwed. By the way its official, NO SCREW COVERS INCLUDED. The plastic looks cool though. So does the bad ass blister on my finger from the screw driver. Oh, and did I mention back pain from being hunched over for over 4 hours? I’m bitter. I followed the directions provided by the website to the key by the way. WARNING, there is a dangerous bit of plastic that was hanging over the ribbon wire’s slit. If you slide the ribbon wire through it without clearing the track’s end.. you’ll have a totaled top screen.

The plastic is really nice quality and props to the instructions. The above issues aside I might consider doing this to anther DS in the future.

By the way my DS shuts off when I turn it on now. Theres a blue flash on the bottom screen, any tips?

Mystic-Homer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Aside from buying a PS3 at launch, selling it on ebay and using some of the profit to buy a new DS... Nope, not really.
smile.gif

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Check the fuses. There are a couple labeled F1/F2 on the mainboard. Make sure you didn't bridge anything, make sure the flash chip is (re?)attached properly (the thing you took the wifi wire off of).

I'm certain the shell itself didn't brick anything, more likely you didn't ground yourself before touching something on the circuit board (electrostatic discharge) wrather than handling it by the sides only, or something didn't go back together quite as it belongs.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much trouble as we have had regarding the SHOCK shell replacements, you cannot blame them if you had problems with replacing your DS Lite shell.

You can, however, blame them for missing parts.
tongue.gif
'

Also, don't be so quick to dismiss your DS Lite just yet.
Take it apart again and reassemble it and make triple sure that all the connections (LCD, wifi wires, etc) are firmly connected.

ozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
update: the DS is working again. like a jackass, my flatwire wasn't fully inserted. the store i bought the case from is sending me a replacement for the LED mount I broke and the Y button. the gba piece was meant to be missing though, it wasn't clear from the pics on the site but it was confirmed by customer services.

sorry for the bad first impression of the shell. cut me some slack, it wasn't exactly easy pickings when i bricked my ds and blistered up my hand.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just saw the pics on the other forum. the case looks nice (now if ray would actually send me the review pcs that he promised me, I'd provide an objective review).

it's a shame that the y button, slot-2 cover half and the screwpads were missing. hopefully that was just and oversight from their first run and not poor packaging or a quality control control issue? (you also mentioned that when you opened it, all the parts came pouring out. were the pcs. not polybagged inside of the box?)

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a video on actually re-assembling the DS-Lite with the new SHOCK! case?

I see they have a video on how to dissasemble the DS-Lite out of the normal case, is there a movie showing the reverse with the new case?

I'd like to order three cases when they become available (now?)..

-Matthew

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand one thing.

You say the GBA slot cover wasn't included, but he picture shows it.

By the way, does the "enhanced speaker design" make a difference?
Is it any louder?

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.