Hacking Homebrew Misc Shiny hunting Mew on 3DS???

m0nika

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve been researching on how to shiny hunt Mew for the past few hours. It seems the two most logical ways to do it are via Yellow or Emerald. I don’t have access to a GBASP or copies of either games, but I do have both on my hacked 3DS. Is there any way I can manipulate save files on my 3DS VC games for either to gain access to the events and shiny hunt Mew? (Emerald is preferred, but I will go through the annoyingness of Yellow if it’s a lot easier)

m0nika

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to do it on virtual console.
I have virtual console versions of both on my 3Ds, but I’m wondering how

1. I can inject a save that can either
A. Have the old sea map
B. Be far enough in the game to do the pomeg glitch
2. Move it out of Pokémon emerald VC all the way up to Pokémon SWSH

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have virtual console versions of both on my 3Ds, but I’m wondering how

1. I can inject a save that can either
A. Have the old sea map
B. Be far enough in the game to do the pomeg glitch
2. Move it out of Pokémon emerald VC all the way up to Pokémon SWSH

Should be possible there are tutorial out there how to do it on a vc gen 1 game.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It seems the two most logical ways to do it are via Yellow or Emerald.
I was going to say that Gen 1 games do not have shiny pokemon, but apparently there is a chance for them to be shiny when imported into Bank. But I suggest you read up on the math if you haven't already before you waste too much of your time; a little Googling does not suggest an obvious answer, but people have definitely looked into it.

And as noted, you can't access any of the GBA games directly with Pokemon Bank.

as transferring from yellow all the way up to home will take forever
Yellow->Bank->Home? That's hardly forever.

Reactions: CoolMe

ShinyDarkrai47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure you can get a shiny in Emerald via Virtual Console and then move it to a 3DS game with PKSM (has built in Bank-like feature). And then use Bank and Home to move it from a gen 6/7 game to a gen 8/9 game.

Or play Emerald via something like open_agb_firm and load the save file in PKHex on a PC.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure you can get a shiny in Emerald via Virtual Console and then move it to a 3DS game with PKSM (has built in Bank-like feature). And then use Bank and Home to move it from a gen 6/7 game to a gen 8/9 game.
Or you can just skip the playing entirely and generate the shiny Mew directly in PKSM, for that matter.

gigashaggy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Or play Emerald via something like open_agb_firm and load the save file in PKHex on a PC.
Hi darkrai I have a question regarding this I'm getting a 3ds with cfw pksm and emerald vc onit I can get the event items using pksm but I want my mew to be from Japan so it looks legit can u change the emerald from English to Japanese in pksm like I want to play emerald in Japanese not just hack the mew to change it that way I hope it made sense

ShinyDarkrai47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi darkrai I have a question regarding this I'm getting a 3ds with cfw pksm and emerald vc onit I can get the event items using pksm but I want my mew to be from Japan so it looks legit can u change the emerald from English to Japanese in pksm like I want to play emerald in Japanese not just hack the mew to change it that way I hope it made sense

I feel like your best bet is to get an inject of Japanese Emerald installed, load an already existing save file downloaded from the net, and activate the Mew event there and transfer it to another save in PKSM.

Theoretically you could load a US save into a JP rom, but I've seen doing that causes issues with names. But more important than that, if you managed to do it, I would have doubts about the legitimacy of the Mew. I'm not sure if a Mew caught in a JP rom but started from a US save would get flagged as illegal, it's possible the Mew would be treated as having originated from a US game as well which would be not what you want.

If you want to try, you can, as long as you backup your save file first.

I don't know if you can backup a save from VC with JKSM or Checkpoint, if you can, use that, if not you can use godmode9 to dump the save file of the last GBA VC title you opened.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/dumping-titles-and-game-cartridges.html#backup-gba-vc-saves
This has sections on backing up and restoring GBA VC saves.

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guy has a lot of videos about crazy shiny hunting using PC software that allows you to predict where things might be based on the RNG of certain events. Not sure if this helps, but it's pretty interesting stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/@PapaJefePKMN

In fact, here's a six hour video of his on the subject of catching "the mightiest mew" in Pokemon Emerald:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.