Shin'en - Wii U has enough power for years to come

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of the current gen

This statement sort of makes a mockery of everything else they have to say...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
More from the interview...
“The Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of the current gen. It allows many things that were not possible on consoles before."

Because it's so easy to compare yourself to 8-year old hardware rather than upcoming hardware of the competition. Bah, won't even bother to read the whole thing - what a "Nintendo Mouthpiece". The game industry isn't going to just stop because Nintendo's half-a-generation behind with their Wii U - the system doesn't have enough power to keep supporting multiplatform titles alongside the PS4 or the XBox One, at least not for "years" as he claims.

D

Deleted_171835

This statement sort of makes a mockery of everything else they have to say...
How so? The Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of current-gen simply by nature of being a more modern part.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
More from the interview...

*stuff*
So it's new and unusual hardware that takes some getting used to and learning in order to tap its full potential. Sounds like the same problems the PS3 was having. Nintendo has enough money (printed by the 3DS) to keep the WiiU afloat until enough gaems are made.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because it's so easy to compare yourself to 8-year old hardware rather than upcoming hardware of the competition. Bah, won't even bother to read the whole thing - what a "Nintendo Mouthpiece". The game industry isn't going to just stop because Nintendo's half-a-generation behind with their Wii U - the system doesn't have enough power to keep going with the same prowess as the PS4 or the XBox One, at least not for "years" as he claims.

Just out of curiosity, because this has been on my mind for a while, but don't you ever get tired of having, correct me if it isn't, a huge pointy stick stuck up your ass when it comes to anything Nintendo?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just out of curiosity, because this has been on my mind for a while, but don't you ever get tired of having, correct me if it isn't, a huge pointy stick stuck up your ass when it comes to anything Nintendo?

Oh, it's not a stick and it's not "whenever Nintendo is mentioned" - it's when people have the audacity to try and rub bullshit into other people's eyes, thinking it has the same effect as wool.

The Wii U falls flat on its face even as far as down-to-earth matters like the amount of memory is concerned, which is drastically smaller than in the competition's systems - within 2 to 3 years it just won't support the same multiplatform titles and this is something we have to grow to accept at this point.

By the way, since when was constructive criticism banned? Whenever a company goofs up, their customers should speak up unless it's Nintendo, eh?

Reactions: Ray Lewis

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
How so? The Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of current-gen simply by nature of being a more modern part.

Which would make it next gen, not some unknown future generation of console. By their reasoning the PS4 and One aren't next gen consoles but some unspecified number of generations into the future. That's not how it works. We don't have missing numbers of generations inbetween console launches, and implying as much just makes me doubt the credibility of their statements.

Edit - to put it another way, in console generational terms is the Wii U likely to be more powerful than Sony's next console after the PS4?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Because it's so easy to compare yourself to 8-year old hardware rather than upcoming hardware of the competition. Bah, won't even bother to read the whole thing - what a "Nintendo Mouthpiece". The game industry isn't going to just stop because Nintendo's half-a-generation behind with their Wii U - the system doesn't have enough power to keep supporting multiplatform titles alongside the PS4 or the XBox One, at least not for "years" as he claims.
Yes, what does a highly respected developer who created one of the most beautiful console games out there going to know about the system? Nothing compared to the knowledge and experience you've gained from complaining and dismissing anything that isn't negative about a system. :rolleyes:

Which would make it next gen, not some unknown future generation of console. By their reasoning the PS4 and One aren't next gen consoles but some unspecified number of generations into the future. That's not how it works. We don't have missing numbers of generations inbetween console launches, and implying as much just makes me doubt the credibility of their statements.
I think you are misunderstanding the statement, but I suppose it's not that clear. He means several GPU generations ahead of the current console generations. He's not saying it will be better than the GPU included in the 12th generation of consoles.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, it's not a stick and it's not "whenever Nintendo is mentioned" - it's when people have the audacity to try and rub bullshit into people's eyes, thinking it has the same effect as wool.

The Wii U falls flat on its face even as far as down-to-earth matters like the amount of memory is concerned, which is drastically smaller than in the competition's systems - within 2 to 3 years it just won't support the same multiplatform titles and this is something we have to grow to accept at this point.

By the way, since when was constructive criticism banned? Whenever a company goofs up, their customers should speak up unless it's Nintendo, eh?

Except you're doing everything except constructive criticism.

It's also a bit asinine of you to judge what the WiiU is capable of without it even being out for a year or any real major titles released for it. I mean look at the 360. When Perfect Dark Zero (lol) was released, people praised it and loved it, thought that it was one of the best looking games in gaming.... then we found out what the 360 could really do and how terribly shitty the game actually was.

Case in point. Don't be a dick and give the console a chance, good lord.

Reactions: beta4attack

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think EA's main problem with Nintendo is their love affair with drm and Nintendo's lack thereof. Not to mention they love to love companies that love drm. They didn't support the Dreamcast and you could just burn any one of those games and play it on that. $ony and Mi¢rosoft both do way more than Nintendo to stop piracy. More recently we can't overlook the Origin issue as well. There's really no other reason for EA to thumb their noses consoles like Sega's and Nintendo's that helped them establish their early success. Of course this is all speculation, but speculate is all you can do when EA won't release a statement saying what their exact problems with Nintendo are. Which only leaves you to believe that they're not good reasons.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, what does a highly respected developer who created one of the most beautiful console games out there going to know about the system? Nothing compared to the knowledge and experience you've gained from complaining and dismissing anything that isn't negative about a system. :rolleyes:

There's a lot of things that are positive about the system - I for one think the gamepad was a great idea, however that doesn't magically invalidate the fact that there's a lot of things wrong with the system and they should be addressed so that they can be rectified next generation. I don't see a reason why users should put their heads in the sand when Nintendo's pulling off another Wii (quite literally too, as the CPU is based on the exact same technology).

It's cute that you guys are full of hope, but what this means is that "Nintendo-exclusive developers will be able to develop for this Nintendo system for a long time" which comes as no surprise as they also developed for the heavily-underpowered Wii and DS (the latter of which somehow got outstanding support from third-party, which is somewhat a miracle, having the technical limitations in mind).

Even I gotta' admit, Foxi, you were... pretty quick to rush in, guns blazing, foaming at the mouth.
Wouldn't go as far as to say "guns blazing and mouth foaming", I just have a particular dislike in "don't panic, but do we have a pilot on-board?" types of statements.

This is really not adding anything to what we already know, it merely sounds nice. Nintendo developers will continue to develop for Nintendo systems because that's the horizon of their expectations in terms of specs, capabilities and total wiggle room.

I also hate when people compare themselves to those who are lower on the ladder in order to make themselves feel better rather than looking at those who are higher on it in order to improve - this is the Wii U vs. Last Gen vs. Next Gen situation right there. It's cute that it's better than the PS3 and the 360, but it doesn't have nearly the size of the userbase of those two so it ultimately gets less interest anyways, and at the end of the day, when pitted against its true competition it falls flat.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

Edit - to put it another way, in console generational terms is the Wii U likely to be more powerful than Sony's next console after the PS4?
... probably as in gpu generations or rather generations of graphical advancements since what we had available with the PS360, not console generations.

Reactions: Rydian

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think EA's main problem with Nintendo is their love affair with drm and Nintendo's lack thereof. Not to mention they love to love companies that love drm. They didn't support the Dreamcast and you could just burn any one of those games and play it on that. $ony and Mi¢rosoft both do way more than Nintendo to stop piracy. More recently we can't overlook the Origin issue as well. There's really no other reason for EA to thumb their noses consoles like Sega's and Nintendo's that helped them establish their early success. Of course this is all speculation but speculate is all you can do when EA won't release a statement saying what their exact problems with Nintendo are. Which only leaves you to believe that they're not good reasons.
Apart from these facts:
1. Sales on WiiU will be low because not many people own one
2. Porting games is not free

If they think it won't earn them money they won't do it. That's how a company works.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you are misunderstanding the statement, but I suppose it's not that clear. He means several GPU generations ahead of the current console generations. He's not saying it will be better than the GPU included in the 12th generation of consoles.

Yep, I wasn't interpreting it that way...and I'd bet that most people would read it the way I did than the way they mean. It's a silly way to say what they mean. Now you spell it out I get it, but generations when talking about consoles does not equate to GPU generations.

I don't think you could call Shin'en highly respected...their portfolio simply doesn't support the statement.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
There's a lot of things that are positive about the system - I for one think the gamepad was a great idea, however that doesn't magically invalidate the fact that there's a lot of things wrong with the system and they should be addressed so that they can be rectified next generation. I don't see a reason why users should put their heads in the sand when Nintendo's pulling off another Wii (quite literally too, as the CPU is based on the exact same technology).

It's cute that you guys are full of hope, but what this means is that "Nintendo-exclusive developers will be able to develop for this Nintendo system for a long time" which comes as no surprise as they also developed for the heavily-underpowered Wii and DS (the latter of which somehow got outstanding support from third-party, which is somewhat a miracle, having the technical limitations in mind).
You are dismissing him without any reason to. You're just sure that he's wrong. Your head isn't in the sand, it's up your ass.

I to find many things wrong with the Wii U. I've posted about them. That doesn't give me the right to respond to legitimate sources with an "I don't believe you" attitude.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr