Gaming Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey vs Devil Survivor

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
They're both excellent, and have got a fantastic story.
Just try both and continue playing the one you prefer,
But note that SJ has got, like, an hour of text in the beginning.

kirokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey follows up to it's predecessors, the RPG/Dungeon Crawler genre

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor it's a Strategy RPG, there is no dungeon crawling.

tombot

Trophies
Website
www.wix.com
XP
Country
United States
Personal preference I guess. I played both (finished DS and about 10 hours into SJ), and I'm finding Strange Journey is more my thing. Exploring is exciting to me, and the negotiation system is interesting. But if you're more a strategy guy, then DS is probably more up your alley.

navilink

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
kirokun said:
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey follows up to it's predecessors, the RPG/Dungeon Crawler genre

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor it's a Strategy RPG, there is no dungeon crawling.
QUOTE(tombot @ Apr 18 2010, 09:54 PM) Personal preference I guess. I played both (finished DS and about 10 hours into SJ), and I'm finding Strange Journey is more my thing. Exploring is exciting to me, and the negotiation system is interesting. But if you're more a strategy guy, then DS is probably more up your alley.
u guys just make my decision easier.. i don't like Strategy RPG, so i guess Strange Journey is my thing! Thanks!

Grandleon82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SJ is a straightup throwback to the old-school SMT games, a dungeon crawler. And as with dungeon crawling, there's gonna be an assload of traps and random encounters coming your way.

DS is kind of like FF Tactics in that its battle layout is similar. The characters and storytelling are really, really good compared to SJ, which is pretty wordy and unnecessarily long at times.

Just my two cents; I liked both, but I'm gonna have to go with DS on this one.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
navilink said:
kirokun said:

QUOTE(tombot @ Apr 18 2010, 09:54 PM) Personal preference I guess. I played both (finished DS and about 10 hours into SJ), and I'm finding Strange Journey is more my thing. Exploring is exciting to me, and the negotiation system is interesting. But if you're more a strategy guy, then DS is probably more up your alley.
u guys just make my decision easier.. i don't like Strategy RPG, so i guess Strange Journey is my thing! Thanks!

Lol yeah if you don't like strategy RPGs then devil survivor is DEFINITELY not your game.
It's incredibly strategic and difficult.

navilink

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Grandleon82 said:
SJ is a straightup throwback to the old-school SMT games, a dungeon crawler. And as with dungeon crawling, there's gonna be an assload of traps and random encounters coming your way.

DS is kind of like FF Tactics in that its battle layout is similar. The characters and storytelling are really, really good compared to SJ, which is pretty wordy and unnecessarily long at times.

Just my two cents; I liked both, but I'm gonna have to go with DS on this one.
oh shat!!!!! random encounter i also not my thing.. guess have to ditch both!!
ohmy.gif

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tombot said:
But it's not like pokemon, where the random encounters happen every 2 seconds. SJ has a great encounter rate.
Also there is an indicator which tells you how close you are to the next battle, I cannot tell you how many times it has saved me from wasting items or dying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup