Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Translation nearly complete, looking for hackers

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Frequency_Modulation, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Frequency_Modulation
    OP

Frequency_Modulation Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Hey GBATemp! For the past year or so, myself and another fellow have been working on a translation of this long-lost game in the SMT series, and it's nearly complete.

You can check out the work done so far here: http://pastebin.com/LHKVLNQB
    It's under 'Devil Summoner', with script sheets #1-6, and #7 being the final one which is still in progress.

Also, weapon names: http://pastebin.com/ktXkpNa1
    And armor names: http://pastebin.com/urQeU7Ed

So, I was curious if anyone in the scene here would be interested in the hacking portion of this. Me and the other translator are only good with the language aspects, and it seems a shame to think that the game would be entirely translated but simply not implemented, given its importance to the game in the series that was localized over here, Soul Hackers.

Ideally we'd want someone who can interface with the Japanese involved in a small way, but anyone willing to try would be appreciated!

2. fleed

fleed Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2014
    United States
    I hope someone helps you, P2:EP and this game are in my top PSP translation wishes hehe. I've even been using this game to learn romhacking so this translation's a big help. Have you two considered working on the the Compendium for Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers? It's more of a database with higher resolution sprites and backstory (I think the Soul Hackers one has a sound drama).

3. Frequency_Modulation
    OP

Frequency_Modulation Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    It's not really necessary, as World Guidance already has most of that, at least for the first Devil Summoner. And Soul Hackers is already out in English, so that shouldn't be too high a priority.

4. Goofy Time

Goofy Time GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2007
    United States
    Fingers and toes crossed on something like this finishing. There are a handful of noteworthy SMT games still left entirely in Japanese - the first two games in the series, this, the Majin Tensei games, If..

I know Devil Summoner is often ignored, and I've literally never heard of a translation project for the game until this very thread. I may not be able to understand Japanese, so the only thing I could possibly do is offer my time to test stuff out, if that's desired.

Best of luck on getting one of the last major Japan-only SMT games in English!

5. kratoscar2008

kratoscar2008 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2014
    Tegucigalpa, Honduras
    great work! i do hope too for a complete translation of this game, playing it in japanese is a bitch because of how utterly complex demon negotiation is (And random).

6. CaptainGenesis

CaptainGenesis Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2013
    Keep working on this, it sounds great :)

7. Kizux

Kizux Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2014
    Venezuela
    I don't know if reviving posts is against the rules, but this has to be done, this is on of the few forgotten SMT games I want to play. Also, I hope you have a backup, @Frequency_Modulation since apparently pastebin went down.

I hope I can raise awareness to this.

8. Diag

Diag GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    Gambia, The
    soul hackers was really awesome and nearly so good like the persona games.. i really hope someone will pick this up and can make a translation patch, it looks interessteing :)

Abu_Senpai likes this.
  9. Edgey-poo

Edgey-poo Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2016
    Brazil
    Is it finished already?

10. Zander1995

Zander1995 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Holy Necro, Batman!
    Obviously not.

lcie nimbus likes this.
  11. AcidicPegasus92

AcidicPegasus92 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    hopefully, this finishes soon. i would like to try out the devil summoner series

12. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo

Try soul hackers on 3ds while your waiting since that game was awesome and is unrelated to first one plotwise.

13. AcidicPegasus92

AcidicPegasus92 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    I'll be sure to play it! I'm also buying devil survivor overclocked and nocturne. I recently bought smt 4 and it's pretty fun. I also just started the digital devil story games as well.

Abu_Senpai likes this.
  14. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo

Nocturne and The DDS games are on my laptop waiting to be played. Definately play Smt final after smt iv since it is kind of a sequel to it