Shifting development focus to the Windows Store

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,349
  • Replies 12
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of people today have Windows 8 or higher. And the Windows Store apps can do more than what the generic desktop apps can do (desktop apps don't have touch support, for example.)

Therefore, I will shift focus to the Windows Store starting from today. :)

Unless you guys think that I should do something else? If so, I'm open for plenty of suggestions. ;)

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, but you have to realize that Windows 7 kicks both Windows 8 & 10's @$$ :creep:

It really doesn't anymore. It slower by a hair and lacking modern functionality and the forthcoming dx12.
I see this comment a lot when all evidence points to the contrary.

There's also the last steam figures too, 30% of steam users are on Win 10 now, so a heap of people are making the shift.

Last edited by ody81,

Real_Redwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It really doesn't anymore. It slower by a hair and lacking modern functionality and the forthcoming dx12.
I see this comment a lot when all evidence points to the contrary.

There's also the last steam figures too, 30% of steam users are on Win 10 now, so a heap of people are making the shift.

Eh, maybe I'm just so used to Windows 7 that I find it hard to adjust to the new OS and it's changes. I kinda just meant it as a joke but it probably didn't come across as such. :P

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eh, maybe I'm just so used to Windows 7 that I find it hard to adjust to the new OS and it's changes. I kinda just meant it as a joke but it probably didn't come across as such. :P
7 kicks 8's ass. And 8.1. But not 10.
In fact the switch from 7 to 10 isn't all that big. They relapsed on a lot of things. The only new things is 'metro' apps.

Reactions: Real_Redwolf

Real_Redwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In fact the switch from 7 to 10 isn't all that big. They relapsed on a lot of things. The only new things is 'metro' apps.

I kinda toyed around with Windows 8 a little bit in a VM but I've honestly never used 10 so I can't make a personal opinion. :P

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No clue why people love Windows 10 so much. It represents a huge shift in Microsoft's ideology, and it's not a good one. There are a huge number of issues I could discuss regarding the problems introduced with Windows 10. However, I am very lazy, and most people are perfectly happy with the mindset "It looks like Windows 7, therefore, good!" (see above), so I won't go into it here.

I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of people today have Windows 8 or higher. And the Windows Store apps can do more than what the generic desktop apps can do (desktop apps don't have touch support, for example.)

Therefore, I will shift focus to the Windows Store starting from today. :)

Unless you guys think that I should do something else? If so, I'm open for plenty of suggestions. ;)

The idea of universal apps on the Windows Store is very attractive, but the current implementation is questionable, at best. (Again, this is something I could talk for hours about, but I will refrain from doing so here.)

The Metro UI, while flexible, simply is not an efficient way to interact with applications using a traditional mouse, keyboard, and display setup. Users will always choose desktop apps over metro apps in those cases, and the vast majority of desktop users will not even consider Metro apps for this reason (look at the backlash with Windows 8 and 8.1).

So really, it depends who you are targeting. If you are making a relatively complex application targeted specifically at PC users, I would stick with traditional desktop apps. If you think your app would be attractive to the 2% market share of Windows Phone users as well as Xbox owners (for some reason), then go with Metro.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No clue why people love Windows 10 so much. It represents a huge shift in Microsoft's ideology, and it's not a good one. There are a huge number of issues I could discuss regarding the problems introduced with Windows 10. However, I am very lazy, and most people are perfectly happy with the mindset "It looks like Windows 7, therefore, good!" (see above), so I won't go into it here.
Go ahead. I'm not judging how it looks, I judge how well it works for me. Which is better than 7.
Keep in mind that there are some computers it does not work with. I tried on my old laptop and it just crashed every 2 seconds. This laptop runs faster than 7, 8 and 8.1 ever did.
Also keep in mind some of us only have OEM keys for 8 which come with our laptops. Out of the choice of 8, 8.1 and 10, i'll take 10.
I'm not blindly saying it's the best, i've spent a long time checking it out,, finding the pros and cons.
In fact, I don't see why people hate Windows 10 (Nor do i care, it's all about how it works for you) and I can easily say everything you said about 10 back to you about 7. Most people are happy with the mindset "Windows 7 looks cool and has worked for me for ages, change is bad". Which makes no sense.

Congratulations, you just got one of the biggest rant posts i'e made in a long time.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1