Shifting development focus to the Windows Store

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Voxel, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of people today have Windows 8 or higher. And the Windows Store apps can do more than what the generic desktop apps can do (desktop apps don't have touch support, for example.)

Therefore, I will shift focus to the Windows Store starting from today. :)

Unless you guys think that I should do something else? If so, I'm open for plenty of suggestions. ;)

2. CIAwesome526
    This message by CIAwesome526 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Dec 11, 2015, Reason: seriously knock it off.
    Dec 11, 2015
  3. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Yes they do. It's just that Microsoft has made a somewhat more convenient touch API for metro applications.

Voxel likes this.
  4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    GotKrypto67 and Voxel like this.
  5. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
  6. Real_Redwolf

Real_Redwolf GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, but you have to realize that Windows 7 kicks both Windows 8 & 10's @$$ :creep:

jDSX, frogboy and Voxel like this.
  7. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Hmm, well it wouldn't hurt to make a port to Win7 too, I guess.

Real_Redwolf likes this.
  8. ody81

ody81 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 21, 2012
    It really doesn't anymore. It slower by a hair and lacking modern functionality and the forthcoming dx12.
    I see this comment a lot when all evidence points to the contrary.

There's also the last steam figures too, 30% of steam users are on Win 10 now, so a heap of people are making the shift.

Last edited by ody81, Dec 11, 2015
    Real_Redwolf and Voxel like this.
  9. Real_Redwolf

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Eh, maybe I'm just so used to Windows 7 that I find it hard to adjust to the new OS and it's changes. I kinda just meant it as a joke but it probably didn't come across as such. :P

10. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    7 kicks 8's ass. And 8.1. But not 10.
    In fact the switch from 7 to 10 isn't all that big. They relapsed on a lot of things. The only new things is 'metro' apps.

Real_Redwolf likes this.
  11. Real_Redwolf

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    I kinda toyed around with Windows 8 a little bit in a VM but I've honestly never used 10 so I can't make a personal opinion. :P

12. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    No clue why people love Windows 10 so much. It represents a huge shift in Microsoft's ideology, and it's not a good one. There are a huge number of issues I could discuss regarding the problems introduced with Windows 10. However, I am very lazy, and most people are perfectly happy with the mindset "It looks like Windows 7, therefore, good!" (see above), so I won't go into it here.

The idea of universal apps on the Windows Store is very attractive, but the current implementation is questionable, at best. (Again, this is something I could talk for hours about, but I will refrain from doing so here.)

The Metro UI, while flexible, simply is not an efficient way to interact with applications using a traditional mouse, keyboard, and display setup. Users will always choose desktop apps over metro apps in those cases, and the vast majority of desktop users will not even consider Metro apps for this reason (look at the backlash with Windows 8 and 8.1).

So really, it depends who you are targeting. If you are making a relatively complex application targeted specifically at PC users, I would stick with traditional desktop apps. If you think your app would be attractive to the 2% market share of Windows Phone users as well as Xbox owners (for some reason), then go with Metro.

13. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Go ahead. I'm not judging how it looks, I judge how well it works for me. Which is better than 7.
    Keep in mind that there are some computers it does not work with. I tried on my old laptop and it just crashed every 2 seconds. This laptop runs faster than 7, 8 and 8.1 ever did.
    Also keep in mind some of us only have OEM keys for 8 which come with our laptops. Out of the choice of 8, 8.1 and 10, i'll take 10.
    I'm not blindly saying it's the best, i've spent a long time checking it out,, finding the pros and cons.
    In fact, I don't see why people hate Windows 10 (Nor do i care, it's all about how it works for you) and I can easily say everything you said about 10 back to you about 7. Most people are happy with the mindset "Windows 7 looks cool and has worked for me for ages, change is bad". Which makes no sense.

Congratulations, you just got one of the biggest rant posts i'e made in a long time.

Voxel likes this.
  14. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    I used to always hate Windows 10, but now that I have tried it, it isn't bad at all.

Seriel likes this.