NULL

Shenmue III E3 2019 trailer and Epic Games Store exclusivity

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jun 10, 2019.

1. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    This will be documented in the future. Trust me, this is bigger than you think. Nothing negative, but be "you". Stay you.

Xzi likes this.
  2. luisedgarf

luisedgarf Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2009
    Mexico
    Mexico
    Especially western backers, and very especially American ones.

3. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Epic will run out of exclusivity money long before they put the slightest dent in Steam's sales numbers. Their whole strategy reeks of desperation, and Gabe Newell sniffed that out from the very beginning.

Epic awards exclusivity payouts to publishers, not developers. An important distinction because the publishers can choose to not pass any of it on.

Yet Steam added native support for the Switch Pro controller within weeks of Switch's release. Hell, Valve recently added SteamVR input support to UE4, meaning that Valve is actively making more improvements to EGS than Epic is.

Silent_Gunner and H1B1Esquire like this.
  4. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    This will not occur as hoped.
    These people have looked into the "pronoun game".
    They know about "how the mind works", as far as the "patterns of the brain"-- this has been planned for years (TRUST, IT'S BEEN YEARS) and we're falling in-to-piece with what "they" want.

At the best, we can "hope"; we can make "jokes", about what "they" do.

It sounds crazy, but that is exactly the best move, with a pawn, that you can do--they've aimed to take your King and Queen from turn 1.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire, Jun 11, 2019
  5. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The Outer Worlds going EGS exclusive hit me the hardest. I'm not going to wait through a year of exclusivity, so my plan is to pirate the game, and then if it turns out to be as good as I expect it to be, I'm going to send $60 cash straight to Obsidian's main office. Along with a letter explaining my reasoning. Developers first.

6. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Outer worlds is on gamepass as well I think, same as metro.

Xzi likes this.
  7. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Oh that's right, I think they did announce recently it'll be coming to the new Win10 Xbox store too. I'll have to give that a try, at least the odds that it's superior to EGS are really good.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  8. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I feel you and commend you for bravery, but this is the time of "Shhh, Shhh, the monster will hear."

The plan of action is sarcasm; the wonder of saying what you mean, but "in a clown car, versus a Lambo."

For them, even pirating the game is saying, "We did something right, wooo!"
    Obviously, you can't shit on a game in this day and age without backlash, but there's a trick.....soon, all will fall into place...or it won't, we're all doomed, and "Addounia, (yeah)" is gonna jizz on our faces.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    So Epic go down in flames and some things go limping back to Steam to be rammed by their diamond encrusted dildo the same same before. Where is the loss?

If the publishers are the nominal owners of the property/project (something every single effort in any IP governed field will do and has done for probably more than a century, give or take minor quirks for accounting purposes) then I don't see how they could give to the devs if they have a pub already on board. What this has to do with Valve vs Epic and Epic's purported transgressions in it all I don't know.

Sweet. More improvements for me. Still not sure why I should be in a rush to diss Epic or suck up to Valve here.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  10. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    No refunds for those that wanted a Steam copy? Weird..

11. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Customers lose out on purchasing options and basic feature support. Developers lose out on sales and more exposure for their games.

Just tired of hearing the false claim that Epic is more 'pro-developer' than Valve ad nauseum. Epic recently discounted pre-order games in their sale without alerting the publishers/developers, and those games were temporarily pulled from EGS as a result.

You're an incredibly forgiving guy, but I'm sure you're aware that the vast majority of gamers are not. Epic knows that they're pissing a lot of people off, they just don't care. Tim Sweeney makes for a better internet troll than a CEO.

Silent_Gunner, H1B1Esquire and Memoir like this.
  12. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    As are you, I know this..We have to let "them" do this--none of us want this, but it has to pass.

The reason? To birth something they have no control over.
    The crescendo crashes.

Everyone is playing their part to a "T(-pose).

2020 is the year.

13. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2008
    Guys, I agree with most of you - what Epic is doing is not good. They're free to have their own store if they want to (as long as they can code it and run it well, so that it doesn't break or steal our data and so that developers know what is happening with their games on it) and they're free to take less commission, if they think that will entice developers over there. I, too, would like a choice of where to buy this game from, and I too would probably choose Steam over Epic, simply because that's where most of my games already are and I want as many in one place as possible, plus friends lists etc. I get what Epic is trying to do - Valve could do with some healthy competition and it's not a big deal to have one more client, as most of us probably already have Steam + at least one or two others installed - but they're going about it the wrong way and it's upsetting a lot of people.

But I think we're losing sight of something important - so far no game has truly become an Epic Games Store exclusive. They are only timed exclusives. Meaning Shenmue III - like Metro Exodus, Borderlands 3 and the others - will come to Steam eventually. So, if you want it on Steam, you can and will get it on Steam. You might just have to wait 3-6 months to get it the way you want it. If you don't like what Epic are doing, vote with your wallet by not buying from their store and waiting for the Steam release instead.

With that said, it really is some bullshit that they've done this with a Kickstarted game.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  14. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    OOH i'm so sorry D: i knew you were directing it to people defending epic's store, but my reply wasnt supposed to sound mean to you, i just wanted to share my point of view on the thing. As said, not getting angry to the entirely of epic games, since there are people and developes that have nothing to do with the store. One should be angrier to the higher ups and their shitty decisions and way of thinking.

That was all ^_^

H1B1Esquire and the_randomizer like this.
  15. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    You should not do that. The meaning of what you say is stinging.

I get what you're getting at, but, the_randomizer isn't the one.

You'll understand soon™.

16. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    wait what, im literally an idiot so i dont understand anything at all ;_;

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  17. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.

It's okay.

TL;DR
    You and the_randomizer are two sides of the coin.

18. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Some people are all for exclusivity behind specific hardware but have them download a 120mb client to play a game and they lose their minds!!

19. jmrodrigues

jmrodrigues GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Portugal
    I don't know the numbers, but the console failure was not because of Shenmue certainly. Maybe the PS2 success had a more relevant contribution, the lack of DVD player the PS2 and Xbox had, the lack of third party games, such as the WiiU...

20. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    The Chad Kiryu of the Yakuza TIGER DROPS the Virgin Hazuki of some house in Yokosuka with Steam releases, being pro-consumer, allowing mods openly, and by being a Level 100 Clan Boss as opposed to Ryo's Level 18 Vengeful Crook, because that's how the yakuza works!

OK, in all seriousness, this isn't making people want to buy the game at all on Epic's platform. If anything, it might direct some of the money that could be going to Epic's Store to the XBOne and PS4 versions of the game. To have a game that fans have been waiting so long for suffer this fate has to be soul crushing. It'd be like if Sonic Mania was revealed to be an EGS exclusive, which wouldn't be much better than it's current situation on PC last I checked (comes with DENUVO, or that DRM that gets cracked very easily, so WTF is the point anymore).

If there's any platform on Steam I'd rather use, it's GOG. Yeah, it's about as decentralized as a platform can get, but that's what I love about it. As much as I love the things Valve has done via Steam for PC gaming, even I am not blind to the fact that not everything worth it is going to last forever, and that one day, Valve will be spoken of in the same vein as companies like Atari that were the best at what they did one day until management that didn't have the same vision as the previous gets replaced by less competent/passionate/*insert characteristic here* management.

But until then, I'd rather rely on the lesser of evils than just become some drone defending Epic or accusing people of not wanting to install another launcher for a service provided by an American company that's slowly getting bought by Tencent.

Xzi likes this.
NULL