Gaming Shenmue 3

matt1tude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Even though the long awaited sequel to this lengendary game has less chance of being made than a new Amiga console.

But what if?

What if they decided it was time to give the fans what they wanted and finish up the storyline but Nintendo brought the exclusivity rights for 3 and any other sequels and it became a Wii U exclusive. I for one would jump so high for joy I'd take a bite out of the moon. The Sony and Microsoft fanboys would sh!t themselves with pure rage lol.

I think if any one game could solidify the Wii U as "THE" console in the next gen wars it would be Shenmue 3.

Side note: I hope the Wii U's Virtual Console has Dreamcast games with Shenmue 1 & 2, those would be 1st day purchases for me.

What do you guys think? Could Shenmue 3 work on Wii U?

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dude, don't play with my feeling... You could have chosen a longer thread-name!

If Shenmue I&II don't show up on WiiU or any other system as a download there is no chance in hell for anything Senmue related past what already is there.

I for one would by Shenmue for every system I have just to support it and SEGA also said that it is one of the most requested game of the DC library to receive an HD-version for XBLA or PSN and maybe eShop...

Also of course it would work on WiiU.

Reactions: 2 people

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Would be great to be able to play Shenmue in your bed, with the tablet. :)

But I'm scared that the development team will make an horrible work, not based at all on Yu Suzuki's idea/scenario.

"Shenmue 3: Duck racing edition"

matt1tude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
lol, yeah but figured there's enough long winded thread titles as it is.

It makes no sense to not have released a HD version of Shenmue 1 and 2. Now I'm not sure if it's a rumour or not but I read somewhere that Sega has a HD collection ready and has just been sitting on it for over year now. If that is true they may be waiting til after Wii U is launched and release it multiplat.

After all remember that Sonic & Sega Allstars Racing had Ryo in as a playable character, so Shenmue is still at the forefront of their mind.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What if they decided it was time to give the fans what they wanted and finish up the storyline but Nintendo brought the exclusivity rights for 3 and any other sequels and it became a Wii U exclusive. I for one would jump so high for joy I'd take a bite out of the moon. The Sony and Microsoft fanboys would sh!t themselves with pure rage lol.

Really? REALLY?

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going by the example of Bayonetta yes, yes they would--they'd shit themselves with rage over just about any perceived slight, just like Nintendo fanboys would do the same if the shoe were on the other foot.

(Of course, Nintendo can pretty much only go up in meaningful third party support, so that outcome is highly, highly unlikely.)

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Going by the example of Bayonetta yes, yes they would--they'd shit themselves with rage over just about any perceived slight, just like Nintendo fanboys would do the same if the shoe were on the other foot.

(Of course, Nintendo can pretty much only go up in meaningful third party support, so that outcome is highly, highly unlikely.)

Bayonetta is recent IP where the first game was on the most recent Sony and Microsoft consoles.

Shenmue is an IP which has been left alone for around a decade. Shenmue has never appeared on a Sony console. Only Shenmue II has been released on a Microsoft console, on the original Xbox, in America and Europe. Shenmue does not have an establised fanbase among the Sony/Microsfot userbase let alone the fanbois.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you really think it matters? Shen Mue is one of 'those' franchises with an insanely rabid fanbase that out-punches its weight by several orders of magnitude--they will riot if the game is a WiiU exclusive just like the Bayonetta fans did.

(Will it be as bloody? Probably not, but there will still be epic screaming, fanned by the gaming news/blog sites that get tons of traffic hyping this stuff.)

matt1tude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see where your coming from but Shenmue has developed a cult status among the gaming community. It is pretty much the number 1 topic of discussion when talk of sequels to be made are brought up.

I mean I'd hardly call a long forgotten game. If the name alone was brought up at next years E3 it would be top of the news everywhere in the gaming world.

And if the words Shenmue III and Wii U exclusive were in the sentance you can bet your a$$ there will be a huge backlash on an end of the world type scale (ok maybe thats an over statement lol) from Sony and Microsoft owners. I would love this to happen it'd be great for us Nintendo loyalists to finally stick it to the fanboys that has bashed Nintendo and the Wii the past 6 years.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it does matter. Somebody who only buys Sony consoles isn't exaclty going to demand blood over Shenmue being a Wii U exclusive. The people I can see complaining are Sega refugees. Even than they'd probably complain it should be on a Sega console rather than PS3/360.

I wouldn't call it forgotten and its widely accepted it has a cult following, but I doubt the average Sony/Microsoft userbase would be in that cult following. Sony consoles have never had a Shenmue game and the Microsoft userbase is predominantly "Western," and we can assume to an extent its not a userbase which Japanese games really appeal to. To proclaim the average PS3/360 user or fanboi would go batshit crazy is utter hyperbole.

Even the reaction over Bayonetta 2 was overexaggerated. The mass PS3/360 usebase, I doubt really would've given a shit. The game sold around 1.2 copies worldwide. For Platinum games, it was a success and it was a respectable number. But it didn't hit the same level success as Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed and become gameing staple.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
We just have to face the music, since i played snenmue 1&2 on the original dreamcast and was left with a unfinished cliffhanger for how many years now? Its just never going to happen, not ever not now, there has been many oppertunities for shenmue 3 to happen but even tyhe guy who created the series said he can't because he simply dosn't have the funds to complete development anymore, i think sega just cut the funds from the development team and the game was left unfinished all those years which is a shame really, i would buy a hd remake for the ps3 in a heartbeat because of the trophies, but apart from that i've long let go of a possibility of a 3rd sequel.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
But the joke's on everyone. Sleeping Dogs is actually Shenmue 3.
Lol... Yakuza is also Shenmue!

Shenmue is a very specific expirience and these games don't even come close to that! Those guys wouldn't dare to put a Chapter like Guilin at the end of their game...

Yeah yakuza series is as close as you can get to shenmue, thats why i love the series, i'm sure the same developer team who did shenmue are working on the yakuza games.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
funny enough I was talking to someone about this recently (not Wii U specific mind) and despite being a fan of the series I reckon Sega have well and truely missed the boat for a sequel and missed a trick. Despite fans asking and asking after 10 years what do they get? some horrible social game and a cameo of Ryo in Sonic and Sega Racing. I think if Sega does ever announce intentions to work on Shen Mue 3 they will find most the fan base has finally moved on

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just thinking about this the other day, Nintendo seems to have a good relationship with Sega (what with them doing Sonic & Mario, agreement with Bayonetta 2) and personally while Sega seem to be downsizing operations and only concentrating on retail titles like Total War and Sonic and the rest of their releases being low budget digital releases or HD ports of Saturn/Dreamcast games, it kinda made me wonder if Nintendo taking over some franchises would be a good idea.

Could totally see Nintendo taking over Streets of Rage, Ristar, Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Nights etc and making GOOD modern versions of them. Only downside is that people already want F-Zero, Metroid as well as new IPs from Nintendo also so not too sure if they have enough resources to take on Segas titles.

As for Shenmue...well they've not really aged well. They've always been very rigid gameplay wise so I wouldn't want a HD port, however it could be good for Nintendo if they funded some remakes...get Monolith on board and while keep the story as it was just restart the gameplay and engine so it works properly today. To be honest I feel that a Nintendo platform is where Sega titles should be, they always seem to get more noticed with the big N.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Actually, the rumor about the Shenmue HD Collection doesn't seem unlikely. It is the most logical thing to happen even if we never see a third game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: If your not getting your pills from Psi's discount drugs who knows what your swallowing! +1