Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 745,744
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sinisterMayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heya, im a complete noob so this will probably make everyone here cringe really hard, but how do i my unpatched twlbg.cxi in the first place. sorry if this has been said or if im stupid.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heya, im a complete noob so this will probably make everyone here cringe really hard, but how do i get my unpatched twlbg.cxi in the first place. sorry if this has been said or if im stupid.
Widescreen instructions are in the first post of the TWLMenu++ thread. You don't really need the unpatched TwlBg.cxi

Last edited by RocketRobz,

ruaidsoia

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Quick question. What would I need to do in order for DS games to display as #3 rather than #1 or #2 in the attached image?

I'm guessing I'd have to hex edit something in TWL_FIRM for the 1x mode to display centered in each screen rather than on the bottom (top screen) and the top (bottom screen) but I have no idea what offset that would be or what I would need to change it to. Any help would be appreciated.
ds.png

Last edited by ruaidsoia,

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Quick question. What would I need to do in order for DS games to display as #3 rather than #1 or #2 in the attached image?

I'm guessing I'd have to hex edit something in TWL_FIRM for the 1x mode to display centered in each screen rather than on the bottom (top screen) and the top (bottom screen) but I have no idea what offset that would be or what I would need to change it to. Any help would be appreciated.View attachment 176373
I don't know but #3 is really ugly. You'd also have to adjust the touchscreen handling a little, to compensate for the different positioning.

Reactions: Vulpes-Vulpeos

Ailuros27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where is this "guide" everyone keeps mentioning? I came here from the front page news post and the post with the download is a little lacking in details.

Reactions: tatundria

ruaidsoia

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't know but #3 is really ugly. You'd also have to adjust the touchscreen handling a little, to compensate for the different positioning.

Thanks for your opinion. And yeah, I figured I'd need to edit the touchscreen handling as well, but if that's too difficult I wouldn't mind forgoing it and just sticking to playing games that don't require touch controls.

Last edited by ruaidsoia,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I have to patch the OpenGL driver, AND the matrix unit driver, otherwise the 384x240 will be scaled back to 320x240 by the PICA GPU (which btw looks REALLY nice because it's not blurry, other than Mario being a bit squished thin)
Sono, sorry for the hassle and for what I'm sure constitutes a misunderstanding of how all of this works, but I've been thinking about this ever since you posted it. The subject just came up again over on Discord so I figured I'd ask: If you're able to patch the OpenGL driver, what's to stop you from scaling to a full screen 400*240 using the PICA200 instead of/in concert with the scaling matrix? The matrix obviously limits you to that whole fractional setup, but couldn't the PICA just scale arbitrarily to any resolution you wanted, like, say, full 400*240, 5:3 aspect ratio?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If you're able to patch the OpenGL driver, what's to stop you from scaling to a full screen 400*240 using the PICA200 instead of/in concert with the scaling matrix? The matrix obviously limits you to that whole fractional setup, but couldn't the PICA just scale arbitrarily to any resolution you wanted, like, say, full 400*240, 5:3 aspect ratio?

1) because GPU scaling requires more memory bandwidth
2) because I'm an idiot, and can reverse engineer a hardware without any symbols and documentation and make patches for a fully undocumented and extremely complex OpenGL driver, but can't think of something as simple as to stretch the image using the DMPGL patch... I actually did it once by accident, AND THE PICA's LINEAR SCALING IS SUPER PLEASING ON THE EYES! But me being paranoid I completely forgot that this is even possible. I could just disable the X scaling all together, and use the PICA's amazing quality linear upscaling to stretch the X axis...

Welp... I tried every combination of values, and I just can't get GPU scaling to work :/ The image is always left-aligned, but not stretched. I have probably changed the patch used, because I just can't reproduce it anymore :(

dripfish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Sono Thanks a lot for all your work. Any word on screen swapping for the ds mode? Don't mean to rush you especially because of all you've done (even more so in that hungarian weather)

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@Sono Thanks a lot for all your work. Any word on screen swapping for the ds mode? Don't mean to rush you especially because of all you've done (even more so in that hungarian weather)

If you go back a "few" pages then there should be some images showcasing a buggy version of screen swap.

I'll link the images I found, but there could be one oe two more which are probably not worth to dig thru' the pages for.

30dbf7007b.jpg

5c5963a70e.jpg

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think something is wrong with the TWiLightMenu 0.9

If I put the atched cxi here :
D:\_nds\TWiLightMenu\TwlBg\Widescreen.cxi
It didn't work.

If I put it here