Sharp DS(i) mode scaling filters

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Sono, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Sono
    OP

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    I have never seen a motion blur setting in F-Zero >_> Where is it?

2. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @Sono It's not an F-Zero feature, the GBA Virtual Console adds motion blur. VC injection software does allow you to turn it off, but there's no official, Nintendo-side way to change the motion blur settings, it's set per-game in the CIA. The 3DSGBA screen had a pretty slow pixel response, so a number of games just used flickering graphics to fake transparency for "free", and the map in F-Zero is one example of that.

I can't claim to know that the flickering is what causes the issue or that motion blur is definitely what prevents it, but I've played tons of F-Zero with the motion blur enabled without any issues.

Last edited by Vague Rant, Jul 22, 2019
    Upaluppa and Sono like this.
  3. Upaluppa

Upaluppa Wrote in ancient letters, my name is Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Gehrmahnee
    That's the first time I hear of this. I was thinking about setting up retroarch on my IPS console, so that's something to keep in mind, I guess. If this happens with F-Zero on Virtual Console it might happen with retroarch as well...

I never understood why people praised the IPS panels so much, by the way.
    You get better looking blacks and the 3D effect has less ghosting (or maybe I just miscalibrated the 3D effect on my TN console), but there's a scanline like effect on the screen which depending on the game really gets on my nerves...
    The screen is also much darker, even on the highest brightness setting.
    And the console is quite a bit heavier which makes it less comfortable to hold and the battery doesn't last as long.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I prefer my 2nd New 3DS XL console with TN screens.

Edit:
    Yes, I was one of the fools who hunted for an IPS console, only to be disappointed with the things I mentioned above when I got one...
    :rolleyes:

Last edited by Upaluppa, Jul 22, 2019
    Sono likes this.
  4. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    The main advantage is the better viewing angle, which really makes the 3D look better.

Upaluppa likes this.
  5. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I had the double screen issue occur on OFW a bunch before any part of 3DS mode got broken open, it literally is just random and I have no idea.

6. Upaluppa

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Gehrmahnee
    Right, that is true.
    When use the IPS console I have the 3D effect enabled most of the time. That also helps against the scanline effect.

Anyways, I shouldn't derail this thread, I'll patiently wait until Sono presents us with a new TWPatch.

Last edited by Upaluppa, Jul 22, 2019
  7. Sono
    OP

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Well uh... I've been trying to get the trainer code running for 1-2days by now, and since I got it working I've been having way too much fun with it...

8. Upaluppa

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Gehrmahnee
    That's fine! I'm in no hurry! I'm just happy you are doing these things and sharing them with us.

You did all the work, seems only fair that you get to have a bit of fun messing with this.

Robz8 and Sono like this.
  9. Sono
    OP

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    It seems like it's not possible to patch FCRAM once the DS CPU has started up :/

But at least you can do this...

Video

felixsrg, Robz8 and Upaluppa like this.
  10. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Hahahaha. The future is finally here, I've been waiting to graphically glitch DS games by holding B since the 3DS first launched! :D
    Me whenever I see "Latest post: Sono"

The Koopa Kingdom, Robz8 and Sono like this.
  11. Classicgamer

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    I also hunted and secured a Zelda edition dual ips model. The colors are much more vibrant compared to my 2ds xl tn model. I grew up on scanlines so having them feels right haha

Upaluppa and Sono like this.
  12. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    KyleHyde likes this.
  13. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Germany
    I got double ips screen by luck, I didn't even looked for one. for now I had no problems with any kind of emulator or burn in. played many gba injects also. I don't see any scanlines also, only difference is better colors and slighty more input lag.

Last edited by gohan123, Jul 22, 2019
  14. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Now this is very interesting, gonna try to reproduce on my end as I have an upper ips screen :P

15. daemonspudguy

daemonspudguy Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United States
    Linux Land
    @Sono Any eta on the updated patcher?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16. Poudink

Poudink Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2016
    Canada
    does this have a nearest neighbour scaling filter? I find that those tend to look the sharpest, since they just double pixel rows and columns.
    edit: oh that seems to be the zero interpolation one. great.
    edit2: I thought this was supposed to work with GBA VC too? seems to only be working with DS games for me.

Last edited by Poudink, Jul 22, 2019
  17. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    The GBA patch isn't out yet.

18. Sono
    OP

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Nope. I had a forced change of plans irl, so I have even less time now than what was a few days ago.

For GBA none of the filters look good, but if you use the widescreen patch then it's really usable, and looks slightly better due to the 5/3 upscale ratio.

19. Dargentum

Dargentum Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2018
    Chile
    where and how to download?

20. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    Well for starters. You can read the First Post of this thread. Take a look and you will find you dont just download such a thing. There are instructions on how to extract and get what ya want working.

Raylight likes this.