Share some more obscure gaming marketing or historical material.

temp_arche.png

When doing research into prices of various old consoles and how they changed with time for the UK market most would probably look at the recently stopped Argos catalogue, and Nintendo power continues to be referenced as well, as do even older things.

However those are well known sources of information that many will have heard of, indeed for any particular field then catalogues and "trade" magazines are where most seek information on things, and are accordingly often well archived. For this thread we are after the more obscure offerings that many will not necessarily have seen and you might not have good cause to otherwise share. They can be of failed games, devices and shops or otherwise mega successful ones. Can be things stuffed in a box with a game, a flyer from a game shop, maybe a manual for a weird peripheral, junk mail for a service that failed, an advert from somewhere unexpected (remember it is parents that often buy games) or indeed just an obscure magazine (maybe even a zine). Video, audio, scan, picture you took of a contest... it really does not matter. Some background if you have it as well and it will help (or maybe help someone searching). Doesn't have to be in English either, indeed the history of games in the English and Japanese speaking worlds is reasonably well documented, though we would appreciate a translation or at least some background if it is somewhere you visited on holiday.

Some around here have been around in games for many decades but fear not if you are not so venerable; a picture of a game shop you visited 5 years ago can still showcase things some might have missed, forgotten or otherwise never known about (what is sold, size of shelves for things, any background posters/cardboard stands/... and all presumably not in a flagship shop), and in 10 years time will be another historical item. Don't worry about it being too obvious either; estimates for the NES sales in the UK are some 1.5 million, however if you have a nice copy of the paper list of example games that got stuffed in the box then by all means share here.

A house move left me devoid of most old gaming ephemera that was not games and things to play games on, and a copy of the Commodore 64 Datassette-1530 C2N manual is already online, so for to start with how about a shot of the box and manual for the unforgettable Commodore 64 classic "BMX Number Jump"
bmx_number_jump.JPG

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you look around there are online scans of a "gaming" magazine for Arcade cabinets. No links provided due to legal reasons.

Do not confuse Electronic Games with Electronic Gaming Monthly. The second is a newer magazine and may still exist in digital form?

There was also a magazine for Arcade cabinets owners but I cannot remember the name of it.

Reactions: Stealphie

Gunz4Hire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually Got this in the mail yesterday, its a Niveus Media Extender EDGE, the company partnered with microsoft to produce a WMC extender, they put a xbox 360 motherboard in this case and gave it gigantic passive cooling, ive only ever seen 3 and i believe it never officially sold by them
800px-Niveus_Media_Extender_Compare_to_Xbox_360_Phat_Front.jpg
800px-Niveus_Media_Extender_Photo_1_from_Gunz4Hire.jpg

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
I actually Got this in the mail yesterday, its a Niveus Media Extender EDGE, the company partnered with microsoft to produce a WMC extender, they put a xbox 360 motherboard in this case and gave it gigantic passive cooling, ive only ever seen 3 and i believe it never officially sold by them
800px-Niveus_Media_Extender_Compare_to_Xbox_360_Phat_Front.jpg
800px-Niveus_Media_Extender_Photo_1_from_Gunz4Hire.jpg

That's cool as hell, wonder if that would help prevent RROD :rofl2:

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I have a button from the Blockbuster Video World Game Championship from around 1993 or 94. Then I have some old merchandise like Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat POGs.

Reactions: Stealphie

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is the kind of thing people looking for in this topic.

But I found this youtube channel that shows of something called 3D0 M2 which seems to be so rare, this is the only youtube channel that talks about it with games of it. :blink:

Reactions: TheTrueDream42

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jXlelXW.jpg

I have This Ps Vita, at first sight it may seem like an ordinary Limited Edition Hatsune Miku Vita, but actually it was a Singapore release. (pch-1106). I've looked and looked, but this is the only confirmation that this handheld was sold. Rest online are Japan's PCHJ10001-10002..

Last edited by RivenMain,
Reactions: TheTrueDream42

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Etrian Odyssey Mobile. Existing during the earliest days of phone games, and famous for not being really good, there is very little information on the game. When searching the Japanese name there is often little results. That said, there is blog featuring a fairly detailed playthrough of the game: http://dihyhi.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-47.html

Most notably, screenshots of monsters, town NPC, and Stratum designs. A lot of it reuses EO1 assets, as well as using a lot of recolored sprites. There are about five new monsters though (not counting recolors), but they use a different art style and therefore stick out like a sore thumb:
20150808190239d8b.png
201508081905313c8.png
2014111123520241a.png
2015061121325000c.png
20151204223246aca.png
2015080819024240c.png
20150808190323241.png
20150913223038fa7.png
2015102720413529f.png

And here're some sites you can find easily searching online, covering everything else:
The wiki, which covers basically everything, but has no images: https://w.atwiki.jp/sekaiju_mobile/
This site, which has detailed maps: http://k2.fc2.com/cgi-bin/hp.cgi/seqm/
And finally this playlist of the music up to the first Stratum of the game (this is all I found searching Japanese video sites too): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuw2FaP0vGRLvpAbki0s_Z0S8WGsI0Cqx

Also can someone tell me why Japanese wikis/guide sites never have any sort of images on the sites?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse