Share and Share alike--yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by gizmo_gal, Apr 28, 2008.

Apr 28, 2008
  1. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    For those of us with siblings we had to learn the terrible practice of sharing as children, and if you're like me and have more than 5 siblings then you probably shared so much that you hardly got to hold your own stuff.

In the early days when there was only 3 of us and I was the youngest we had a Sega Genesis, it was the best! We got it as a holiday present and we loved it dearly. but the problem--I was the youngest. I did alot more watching and "waiting for my turn" then I did playing.

When my brother left us though, my sister and I got a lot more play time and they discovered that I was kick-ass using Knuckles.
    When my brother came home it was actually alot better, because everyone testified to the fact that I was good, really good at the game, he'd let me play a lot more often then. (there were plenty of save slots, I dont know why I wasn't allowed my own before that :?) and we used to play at night when we were supposed to be asleep.

Working together as Sonic and Tails my brother and sister had nearly beat the game. But my parents--namely my dad, got mad at us and sold it. I found out later that he was going to just destroy the machine but my aunt convinced him to sell it instead.

*sigh*

Fortunately I was able to buy a Sega Genesis and Sonic 2, 3 and Sonic + Knuckles a little while ago and have been enjoying the nostalgic memories of my child hood.

Anyway, I got a little off topic with my own topic, lol, but the point is, I'm, asking about sharing games and having others share games with you. My oldest brother is supposed to share but when ever he gets something new he hogs it all for a long time, then lets us play with according to his rules.

I have invited all my siblings to share my video games and I always let them play whenever they ask but they rarely play unless I initiate it. My younger siblings (theres a bunch) love to play video games but I have to be very careful letting them play because our parents will say they're playing too much and may actually destroy the games in front of them as a part of one of their weird lessons.

2. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    What did you guys do to make your Dad angry enough to destroy video games?

3. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Some parents can have 'unusual' ideas when it comes to discipline & punishments ... and 'unusual' views on what is, and what isn't, a punishable offence ...

4. gizmo_gal
    OP

United States
    @matriculated:
    Shunned our school work was part of it. The other part was our parents obsessed over a "balanced childhood" they got mad/ paranoid if we got too heavily into any game to the point where we would forget to do a chore.

The lists includes
    Video Games,
    Books,
    Movies,
    Outdoor Games,
    5-Stones, and
    Checkers/Chess*

*We had gone through a phase of being heavily into Checkers and thinking back I realize now that we were a little out of control. I didn't wipe the tables after meals on time, my brother didn't take out the trash and my sister and I fought over who'd get to play next, we were a little out of control about checkers I guess but still, I was angry when they threw it away. They gave in though, and bought us a new game board a few months later [​IMG]
    Parents, they're so soft.

@Bobtheevil

You dont have to convince me [​IMG]

5. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Children will always drift towards the 'forbidden' ...

Tell a child not to focus on one thing in particular, and they develop addictive personalities, overnight ...

6. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    My sister wants me to share EVERYTHING with her -- even my OWN Christmas presents and birthday presents that my FRIENDS gave me. I fucking hate her.

7. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Hmm I'm a parent, and in my view "destroying" something I'll only have to replace eventually (next christmas, or birthday) is the choice of an idiot parent.

My son occasionally gets electronically grounded. That means the only power in use in his room is being used by the lights.
    Rather effective [​IMG]

As a kid, I guess I'm showing age again here. I didn't have to share items that hadn't been invented yet. The closest I might have is sharing the tv, but considering there wasn't more than 1 or 2 cartoon channels, it really wasn't an issue.

I had trucks, and my sister had dolls. Not much sharing potential there [​IMG] My older brother was big in sports, and all I wanted to do was make models. Not much sharing there. Books was everything in my younger years. And my sister and I usually ended up climbing trees a lot. Yes, I live the life of Beaver Cleaver [​IMG] (they likely don't even know that show [​IMG]).

8. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    I'm the oldest out of two kids. I have a sister who's 15 and she's didn't really have the same interests as me so there wasn't much sharing especially with video games.
    The only things I can think of are the T.V. and computer. We used to have fights on who could choose what to watch (until I stopped watching T.V.) and have fights about who's turn it was to go on the family computer (until we each got our own).

9. gizmo_gal
    OP

United States
    My older brother and sister and I actually got along very well, my brother was boss and my sister his stooge. I did whatever they did and when we played together then everything was usually less about the physical toys and how much we could imagine. I really miss those long days spent on the porch with card board cut outs and sessions of make believe in the woods that we shared together.

10. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    my sister is even a bigger piece of shit than I

11. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    When I was young I used to watch my older brother play Doom and Wolfenstein because I was scared of them! So I didn't mind being the observer. I can remember acouple times when I got onto the games myself. One time I got into doom and my brother was watching instead. I ended up playing for what seemed like acouple mins. But when I turned around my brother was gone and the sun had gone down and no one turned on the lights. I freaked. hehe I was just a wee-little fragger in those days.

As for parents and things like that...my dad bought my brother a SNES with starfox for christmas, his favorite game at the time and something he had rented numerous times. About a week later my mom returned it. We never, ever let her forget that. It was a big mistake =X My parents pretty much let us have our way with gaming eventually. But thats probably because we never got too hardcore into games. The most hypnotized I've ever been in a set of games would have to be the star wars flight sims. I beat X-wing, Tie Fighter, X-wing V Tie Fighter, X-wing Alliance. I would wake up and play until dinner sometimes. It was bad news because it ate up summers like nobodys buisness.

My family has a pretty complete history of gaming. We had 5 1/2 floppys with Jump Joe, A karate game, Some german U-boat hunting game...bunch of others I'd never remember. Then we had 3 1/4 floppys with another bunch of stupid and fun games. Somewhere in there we had an atari with Coconotes, Some petri dish game, A Sesame street game, plenty of others I can't remember now...
    NES with Duck tales, Chip n dale, 3 marios, Super off-road, ninja turtles arcade, bases loaded...bunch of others...A sega master system for a short while, a regular sega after that.
    Friggin Prodigy online when they charged you to go anywhere that wasn't there own service. Ugghh I'm exhausting myself just thinking past that point.

I think my point is that I still found time to read in 3rd grade what the 6th graders were reading and in middle school what the high schoolers were reading, and in high school what the college kids were reading. Soo..I don't think gaming hurt me too much.

Xcept W.O.W. I'm still hurting from WOW. and as for sharing...I think we had so much different stuff that we were all interested in different things at different times. So sharing wasn't a problem. I remember being content with watching, and when I wasn't I'd go do something I wanted instead. Sibling rivalry didn't apply that much to us 4 kids.

12. gizmo_gal
    OP

United States
    I'm one of ten kids ages 22 years-9 days old. We get along fairly well now, My parents used to be very strict but as they get older they've slackened, But me and my two older siblings often caught it for alot of stuff.

Though looking around at my peers, people I've known since the cradle and were raised in a similar circles and rather close as kids. The main difference was the choices our parents made concerning us, my parents watched over us but they gave us a lot of things we made some sacrifices to give us the best child hood possible and I appreciate what they did for us, one girl is on drugs, the other is really struggling for some sort of foundation on which to base her life.

13. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Gizmo gal don't sweat it, when you get to become a parent some day, you will get to see that parents that are not f**king idiots is extremely rare. Heck I can't even claim to be entirely brilliant myself in all ways.

But it becomes fairly easy to see the idiocy out there when you get forced to deal with it as a parent.

And trust me, the first time YOUR kid has to deal with the idiocy, it becomes REAL easy to state someone else's parents are idiots [​IMG]

It being rude won't even enter into it.

14. gizmo_gal
    OP

United States