Shantae and the Pirate's Curse Coming to eShop

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

Handheld cult classic Shantae looks like she'll be making another return, this time to the 3DS.

The new game, titled "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse", will come out next year. It'll take place right after the last Shantae game, Risky's Revenge, which landed on DSiWare. The game will follow Shantae, who loses her powers at end of Risky's Revenge, and involve (most likely) the same platforming and exploration known of the franchise.

Shantae originally came out near the tail end of the Gameboy Color's lifespan. The game was well received by critics but almost forgotten in the wake of Nintendo's Game Boy Advance. The game received a small cult following which eventually led to a sequel, Risky's Revenge, on the DSi 8 years later.

:arrow:Source

2. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    If its anything like the others this is great news, they were all around good games, hell Risky's Revenge is one of the best is not the best Dsiware game.

3. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Hmm...nice. I enjoyed RR. I'm guessing this will use a similar 3D effect to Mighty Switch Force, which was also a really good bit of fun. Always glad to support these guys on Nintendo systems.

4. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Both Shantae and Risky's Revenge are excellent titles, I'm really looking forward to this.

For the 3DS, it promises to deliver an even longer experience and much more to do. :D

Since the GBC original is apparently coming to 3DS Virtual Console as well, the Risky's Revenge is a DSiWare title, that means you may get to enjoy the entire series on one system. :D

5. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Played through RR and its awesome. If only it was on Android or PC as well than that would be great.

6. Rockhoundhigh

Member Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

United States
    Oh man, another Shantae! WayForward, you leave me no choice, now I have to buy a 3DS.

7. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
  8. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
  9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The Pirate's Curse?

That's when you pirate more games than you could ever play and gradually lose interest in your collection, right?

10. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Oooh, interesting. Sadly I think RR is a bit too expensive... If I had a job I wouldn't hesitate.

11. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    Nice!
    I really enjoyed the previous game. I will definatly buy the second one once it's out. As for the steam release. I'd want it to be able to be there aswell, but I'd not buy it there as I've already got it for my 3DS.

12. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    I am going to buy this when it comes out for the 3DS on the eShop...or wait...I won't be able to use my Acekard2i anymore. Crap...oh well.

I enjoyed Risky's Revenge and was wondering how a sequel would play out. I heard rumors of Risky's revenge originally being part of a series of four games.
    I also heard speculation about Shantae having "Warrior Magic" being the remnant of magic that Shantae didn't have robbed form her; I.E. the hair-whip attack.

I'll go grab a Supercard DS Two sometime in the future, hopefully around the same time this game comes out so that I can buy it and still be able to play my library of DS games on one cartridge.

13. Tac 21

Member Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Shantae for smash bros 3ds