Shadows of Valentia, buy or don't buy?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by leafeon34, Jul 10, 2017.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    I've been thinking of picking up Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia lately. Before I buy it there's a few questions I'd like to ask.

1. Is the game incomplete without the DLC? If yes, then how much is the DLC?

2. The main thing I didn't like about Fates was the skills system. I'd swap classes over and over again and spend hours reading various pages on Serenes Forest trying to build the ultimate units. Is there anything in Shadows of Valentia that may prompt this kind of idiotic timewasting behaviour?

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    1 It's pretty comlete, I'm sure.

2 Never noticed really.

3. Elysium420

Elysium420 Shitposting bastard

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    It's the best 3DS FE game. The DLC has some back story which is somewhat interesting, but not very important to me at least. I pirated the game, so I don't know how much the DLC costs tbh. Classes work pretty great as well. The choices given for each character are perfect and the game is balanced.

EDIT: The story is damn good.

4. Morgs___

Morgs___ Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2017
    United Kingdom
    The DLC is pricey for sure (Season pass is £40 [or regional equiavlent] for it all), but not having it definitely doesn't detract from the game.

As for class swapping, it's not really a thing. There are DLC classes but for the most part you're kinda locked into their "personality" as it were. They're more like actual classes than "jobs" that were in Fates/Awakening.

leafeon34 likes this.
  5. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Quite a convincing argument you have there. It's a shame I'm back at school and have to study for a very important exam. Maybe next holidays I'll pick it up.

6. Jhnsn

Jhnsn *Flat is Justice*

Sep 1, 2016
    Australia
    I wouldn't buy the dlc - too damn pricey
    No skill system like Awakening or Fates. You can swap classes but there is no "ultimate perfect route to overpowered characters"