Shadow of the Eternals Funding Campaign Shut Down... For Now

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Before producing absolute dreck like Too Human and X-Men Destiny, the developers actually had a pretty solid reputation. It's hard to believe now, I know, but they produced some great titles. One of those games was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, a great horror title exclusive for the Gamecube.

The game was absolutely beloved by fans and received great critical acclaim, so, of course, the studio refused to touch the franchise until they completely collapsed after a string of failures and setbacks and had to resurface as Precursor Games. The team turned to crowdfunding in an attempt to get the project off the ground.

Well, they've hit a bit of roadblock.

[​IMG] The Escapist

Maybe the team has some sort of game changer (heh heh heh) under their sleeve, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The Kickstarter campaign didn't even reach a tenth of the original goal after several weeks; I'm not sure if any publishers would be willing to step in with so little demand for the project. Perhaps they have a new pitch for gamers, but will that be enough at this point? The people seem to have spoken and their reply is, "Meh."

The lesson to take from all this? Don't spend years destroying your reputation and then turn to a funding campaign that relies almost entirely on reputation. There are going to be tears.

I try to be an optimist, but I think we need to face facts - it looks like Shadows of the Eternals is destined for eternal darkness.

2. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    few rumours I have read seem to think Precussor Games will be taking the game to e3 to try and find a publisher for this instead, then again for the 1.5 million they wanted to make this happen there was no hope of getting crowd funding to make it happen, shame too, I thought it looked pretty cool

3. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I hate to admit it, but this is the best part of the post.

4. Mushkin

Mushkin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2007
    Portugal, Porto
    Lol

5. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Just let them die.

AceWarhead likes this.
  6. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Was reputation and demand of the game a issue? I just felt that the Kickstarter was too high to begin with, especially for just one episode.
    Not everyone has the money to buy right then and there.