Shadow Banned from Reddit

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by EnigmaXtreme, Jul 12, 2013.

1. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Well this sucks.

I was using Reddit to promote articles on my new site UnboxedTV.net and a month or so I noticed new articles I submitted were not showing up. I didn't think much of it until I logged out and went to my userpage and found that it couldn't be accessed after some research it seems I was "Shadow Banned".

For anyone unaware this is a practice where Reddit kind of bans you but not exactly, you can login and everything and it seems fine but EVERYTHING you posts gets basically flagged as Spam, you receive no such notification and I'm seeing an entire subreddit made up people who have suffered the same fate.

So apparently Reddit, one of the most popular sites out there today, doesn't like it when you use their site for basic "Social Media Strategies" and all the offer is to contact an admin or something and hope that you can get it revoked all though they say in the FAQ not to expect something.

How did this happen you may ask, well Reddit isn't using moderators for everything infact most of this is down to a damn algorithm, I will admit 90% of my links submitted were for my new site but the algorithm that they banned me with was designed for spamming and I wasn't posting new links every hour and linking to malware. I was merely using Reddit to connect and broaden my audience and now I've realised I have basically wasted an entire month.

I did read a story similar to mine and this person was fortunate enough to have her ban revoke, but seriously Reddit this is how you are treating your users?

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I never used Reddit before, but this kinda reminds me of my gaiaonline days when like every year around March or April there would just be this mass banning of users for no reason what so ever and their excuse would be, "scripting." Even to users who didn't violate any rules or know what "scripting" was. That's how I ended up finding this site and staying here.

3. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    To be honest in my own personal opinion when 90% of your posts relate to your site I can see why the site software picked you up as a spambot since it was more slow spamming rather than fast spamming

Though is this a copy / paste post the last line makes me think you maybe should edit it a little :P

Minox likes this.