sh*t, sh*t, f*ckkkkk!!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by vergilite, Aug 25, 2009.

Aug 25, 2009

sh*t, sh*t, f*ckkkkk!! by vergilite at 9:12 PM (1,434 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. vergilite
    OP

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    ok so i always use ubuntu as my OS but as some might know there are certain programs that won't run on a compatibilty layer in ubuntu so i decied to install windows 7 along with ubuntu in a split hardrive. after installation i found that i was not givin the choice to boot back into ubuntu and the ext3 partion of the hardrive would not show in "my computer" on windows WTF! i have all my files on that partition including ALL MY SAVES GOING BACK ABOUT 3 YEARS [​IMG] so does anyone know how i could boot into ubuntu.

extra info:
    . i used Gparted live to do the spliting and formatting of the HDD
    . when i boot up the computer it uses a windows booter and does not use that "grub" thing that ubuntu normaly uses

2. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    your ext3 partition is still there. windows just can't see it.

to fix your bootloader problem, easbcd might do it. http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Add/Remove Entries -> Linux -> play around or wait for someone that knows how to do it.

3. vergilite
    OP

United Kingdom
    thx man you have just saved 3 years of my gaming life. *bows down to his new god*(joke [​IMG])

4. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You use Ubuntu for your primary OS, yet you don't know how to resolve a bootloader issue and are freaking out over it...

Fascinating.

You're aware that you can boot off the Ubuntu disk, right? Or distros like Knoppix intended specifically for this.

5. vergilite
    OP

United Kingdom
    first off i think i will hold off on the bows as when i try to boot into ubuntu it fails and says "couldn't boot into hdd1" or some thing [​IMG]

secondly thx for the flame [​IMG] but iv never really installed windows along side ubuntu often and when i have i have never had this problem but thx anyway il give it a go

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    ubuntu is baby's first linux distro. someone could use ubuntu for 5 years and still not know the in's and out's.

7. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    There is a reason why people laugh at other people who say they know linux and then turn around and say they use ubuntu.

8. vergilite
    OP

United Kingdom
    lol thats me [​IMG]

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    lol

heck I dont even use linux and knew how to fix this
    this should be fairly common knowledge....

10. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Reinstall Grub and chainload that that little system partition that Windows 7 creates.

Your grub menu.lst should look something like:

Code:
    title Ubuntu
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz

title Windows 7
    root (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    Just because someone uses Ubuntu doesn't mean they're a noob.
    I use Slackware because I can't stand dependency hell, but there are plenty of Ubuntu users who know waayyyyyy more about Linux than me.

11. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
  12. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, it's a good distro.

Some reasons why I like it:

1. The kernel and other software from upstream is unmoddified, unless absolutely necessary

2. The package manager doesn't automatically resolve dependencies or care about version numbers, so packages can easily be removed or downgraded.

3. It has the most complete set of libraries I've seen in any distro. You can compile and install most software without worrying about missing dependencies.

4. BSD-style init scripts.

5. Software isn't added to the distro until it is proven stable.

13. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    During installation, Windows rapes your MBR (Master Boot Record) and replaces the grub on it with it's own BCD bootloader. Since the Windows bootloader can't detect Linux partition and only works on Windows OSes, you think that nothing works on your Ubuntu partition.

You can reinstall grub by using a live CD/install CD/heck even a simple gparted disk and when you restore grub, boot into your ubuntu partition either by manually editing the grub menu.lst file or just pressing 'e' when grub pops up on boot and editing the boot commands. Since your ubuntu was your primary, I'm guessing you should use (hd0,0).

This may seem a little complicated but there is an infinite amount of grub tutorials on the net, and those links from Arch Linux provided above would also help. Arch's wiki is a great source of tips.