several questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Zalda, Jul 19, 2009.

Jul 19, 2009

several questions by Zalda at 4:20 PM (2,076 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    - any guide to install bootmii? i have a 2GB sd card
    should i install it as boot2 or as an IOS?

- how do i update my usb loader gx? i have the channel version, so no forwarder

i have a 3.2E wii with preloader

2. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
  3. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    my wii is connected to the internet
    where do i find that update function? could u show it on an image? (not on a video)

4. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Sorry, first i didn't understand your question.
    The update function is only - i think so - if you use the loader from an sd card. [​IMG]

So you must visit the link above to update it.
    But i think you should buy a sd card, a smal one for 1$ should work.

5. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    i have a 256mb sd card, a 2gb card and 2 8gb cards

also, if i have a modchip, can i read home-made dvd's? without the need of dvdx?

6. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Sorry if i repeat it, but first read the faq on bootmii, install it as boot2 and make a backup of your NAND!

Than visit this board again and read the stickies. Setup your Wii with cIOS, Trucha and a forwarder to a loader on an sd card and your home-made stuff should work.

7. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    i read the faq on bootmii, and came to the conclusion i don't get why the hell i should install this
    i have preloader anyway, that will save me if i ever brick my wii (not likely to happen anyway)

any help on my dvdx question?

thanks for the answers

8. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I'm not sure because i don't know what you mean with "home-made"!?

If it's a copy from an original dvd it should work, if not you can use any way to add trucha and cIOS.

9. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    honestly, what are the chances i ever brick my wii? i always do some research before hand, and if i don't get it, i ask it
    i always remove the updates of my games
    i never test homebrew that is just released, i always wait till they are a couple of versions further.
    i have a modchip, internet on my wii, homebrewchannel and preloader
    i'm on 3.2E

and yes i mean copy from an original dvd
    thanks!

10. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Than you can use a modchip, but i think you should read more about an softmod, usb support and usb loader gx. [​IMG]
    If you doesn't like it it's ok, but i think it's a great solution to start games from usb stick or hdd.

Regards,
    HB

11. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well you seem to have preloader already so you must be wary of bricking to some extent. Bootmii installed to boot2 is the best brick protection you can get provided you make a NAND backup of your system with it. It also provides an easy way to undo things you do that you don't want. Say you updated to 4.0 and for some reason or another decided you want to stay on 3.2. If you made a backup of your Wii while on 3.2, then you can just do a NAND restore of that backup and you're back to how you were at that time. You could also make a nand backup at that 4.0 state as well and just switch between the two by restoring whichever on you want to be on.

It's also a possible gateway into better homebrew and maybe even some custom system menus or something down the line as it has access to most of the Wii without having to rely on IOS's. Though this might not be for some time until people can write stuff for it, it is supposed to be like the next step of the HBC.

As for updating USB loader GX, uninstall the channel you installed by using the wad you used to install it. Then install a forwarder for it and put the most recent boot.dol of it in a folder for it in your apps folder of your sd card. Then the forwarder will always just load to that .dol and recent USB loader GX revisions have an auto update feature so you can just update it through your Wii at that point and the forwarder will still load the updated versions.

12. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    thanks for this post, helped me a lot too
    you have some very good arguments to install bootmii, i'll probably install it now
    i will follow this guide:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890

i suppose i only need to do the first 2 steps ( Getting HomeBrew and BootMii , Backing up your NAND )

why do i need to uninstall the channel via the wad?
    can't i just uninstall it via the data management?

13. nabster92

United States
    No, uninstalling via data management does not get rid of the ticket on the Wii.

14. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    and what could happen when that ticket is kept on my wii?

and to uninstall, just start the wad with wadmanager again?

15. nabster92

United States
    Well...I guess not much would really happen...point is that it's just not completely deleted unless you just go into wad manager again and have it uninstall the wad that you installed it with.

It's like the same concept as when you buy VC games from the shop channel. As long as you already bought the game, you can delete it from data management fine, but it will still leave the ticket on your wii so Nintendo will know that you already bought the game if you try to download it again from the shop channel and it will let you download again without having to buy it again.

16. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    aha, i see
    and does that ticket take blocks of memory?

and could i delete all the tickets of previously uninstalled wiiware/vc/homebrew channels of my wii?

17. nabster92

United States
    If it does take up anything it's probably not much. If you have the wad's of all the wiiware/vc stuff you installed you can uninstall them through wad manager. Just don't do this with any IOS wad's or anything like that. Those are not to be uninstalled under any circumstances.

If you don't have the wad's then you can also use AnyTitleDeleter, but that requires you to know the title ID's of everything you installed and can be dangerous to use to uninstall stuff if you're not sure of what you're uninstalling.

18. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    okay, i won't do that then

okay, i have a Traveler 8GB SDHC card, a Sandisk 8GB SDHC card (class 2), a Optima 2GB SD card and a Traveler 256MB SD card.
    which one should I use to backup my NAND? via bootmii

also, when i have the NAND backup, can i just copy the NAND backup to my PC and use the SD card for other purposes?

19. nabster92

United States
    Yea just use whatever one works in it. You can back it up to your PC and use it for other things. I can tell you now that the 256 MB one won't work though. You need at least about 528 MB for the backup.

20. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    but which one will work?
    if it isn't compatible, am i screwed?

also, will the bootmii menu always boot when my wii starts? or just when the SD card is inserted?