Setup N3DS XL to work with both DSTWO & Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by nils_olav, Nov 11, 2016.

1. nils_olav
    OP

nils_olav Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2016
    United States
    I plan on getting a N3DS XL today....is it possible to mod a N3DS XL to work with both a DSTWO card for my NDS games and a Gateway card for my 3DS games? Or is it not possible to run both cards on one system? I know they both require alterations to the SD card too...

Anyways, is this possible? If not, maybe I'll just sell my Gateway card, run NDS games on the DSTWO and then actually buy 3DS games.

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    The DSTwo will always work, but if you haven't bought one yet, don't. The only advantage a DSTwo has over other DS carts is the ability to play GBA games, but you can install them to your home menu so there's no need. Just get a cheaper regular DS flashcart for DS games.

You also don't need to buy a Gateway, if you're on a firmware that can use Gateway you can also install a9lh which is way better. Https://plailect.github.io/Guide

3. veraci_00

veraci_00 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    if u want to use gateway for whatever reason, the answer is yes. u can even install their arm9loader. both will work perfectly fine as long as ur on compatible firmware.

4. nils_olav
    OP

nils_olav Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2016
    United States
    Okay, got my N3DS. I didn't connect to the internet, so I have N3DS firmware 11.0.0. The Gateway guide says Gateway only works with 9.2 or earlier. Is it possible to lower the firmware to 9.2 on a brand new N3DS? It's the Galaxy version

Last edited by nils_olav, Nov 11, 2016
  5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep just follow the guide. It will tell you everything you need to know. If anything doesn't make sense just ask here :-)