1. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    I get about 17-19 MB/s on the card I just linked (writing NSPs), but I think the laptop I use is the bottleneck. Seems like it's a good value for the switch, but if you are willing to pay a premium, you could push for faster. I think I will upgrade the card when prices drop again. But so far I am having a good time with it.

This is a review of the specific card. It's said that Nintendo recommends cards with a read speed of 95mb/s, but I don't yet know its potential:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sandisk_ultra_400gb_microsd_review-news-30656.php

Sequential is good, and random is bad. For game performance, it ought to be good. Maybe for some OS aspects, it could leave room to be desired for.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    lordelan likes this.
  2. SkyDX

SkyDX Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)

Germany
    Well atleast for my case I only plan to run Android and a stock SwitchOS, no CFW of any kind and currently I have 32gb card in that isn't even half full since I buy all my games physical sans Smash and Indies.

3. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    Sounds like you wouldn't be disappointed with whatever you get, as long as it's bigger. Perhaps UHS-3 is the best option, in general... but depending on the brand/line the benchmarks go all over the place. For example, the Sandisk UHS 1 has comparable rates to the Samsung Evo UHS 3. If you are interested in researching, there is a ton of info.

4. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Japan
  5. ~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    @TariqSoftDev So I’m still waiting on my emmc chip. Do you think this tool you are making could write directly to the EMMC as well? I haven't taken the time to review how to repartition the EMMC, but in windows it looks like you can mount some emmc partitions and write to them. Wonder if this could be tied in. I’m going to experiment with booting android off the emmc itself eventually.

6. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

I don't really have the money to be experimenting with larger EMMC chips; if people really want that(even ubuntu off EMMC), if I ever do then I'll write up a guide how to do it although I'll prolly make a cheap box in which you can plug the EMMC in and then R/W on it.

If this is another feature anyone would want I'll make a EMMC PCB with sockets.

7. ~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hmmm, I was thinking that this could be done from the switch itself.
    Check this guide out - Https://pascoe.pw/2018/09/switchnand.html

I think you can mount the EMMC from Hekate?

I only ask about this because I’ve ordered a 256gb EMMC chip that I plan to play with.

lordelan likes this.
  8. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Mhmm I knew that method already; I'm just a weirdo who likes niche things that can be done better. :D

~~Tito~~ likes this.
  9. ~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hah. Yeah I would probably buy an emmc reader too just to make it easy to write to. Just wanted the chip in hand first. It came from east asia lol. Delivery is by freight so I’ve been patiently waiting.

I want to see what it would take to boot android off the emmc and I haven’t gotten a chance to edit the boot.scr for android. Do you think that would be enough?

10. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Yepo yepo.

~~Tito~~ likes this.
  11. ~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Awesome. Well I can definitely be the guinea pig for a program that writes to the EMMC. :creep:

12. drbraun

drbraun Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    has anyone run into the issue where android-16gb.img is unreadable by peazip? racking my brain here trying to figure this one out

13. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

May be a corrupt image or so.

You say you got a 16GB card right?, if you want to help me with some testing on my program lemme know and I'll PM you my Discord

14. drbraun

drbraun Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    I have a 512gb card, following your video i was gonna resize later. the issue seems to be peazip cant see the partition images to extract. tried extracting from the 32bg image as well with no luck

15. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

lordelan likes this.
  16. drbraun

drbraun Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    that did the job thanks a bunch

TariqSoftDev likes this.
  17. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    Thx. :) Already PMing with him to do some tests whenever he wishes for.
    That got my attention. Don't tell me you're working on a way to have two SD cards in the Switch and a switch (lol) to jump between them between every boot because that's exactly what a friend of mine and me were looking for when Switchroot Android came out but the only kind of adapters we stumbled upon either were not flexible (so a long plastic bridge would stand over the edges of the Switch's housing) or it was only an adapter to use multiple SIM cards and one micro SD card inside a mobile phone slot. :D

~~Tito~~ and tabzer like this.
  18. Andalitez

Andalitez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    is hos_data readable from the switch?
    If that partition is created and i boot the switch,can it use that location as a regular SD card?

19. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    Yes. That's why we want to make it bigger. It's the fat32 partition that's being referred to by the title of this thread.

lordelan and Andalitez like this.
  20. TariqSoftDev

OP TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

You are definitely going to love my mod :D

lordelan and stoffer666 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Guide]Setting, partition, Android