Tutorial  Updated

Setting up Android with EmuMMC + bigger FAT32 partition.

As the title says, here's the video; I'll do a write up later since it's a long process.

This is not possible in windows 10 due to the GPT Hybrid MBR trickery used, the android image already does this when it writes the partition tables and etc.

Don't do this in windows nor attempt it, it's not going to happen unless there's something you can use to mess with partitions like I did, L4T-Ubuntu also won't work due to the partition stuff and etc, I'm currently making something to allow this without any complications, please be patient!

Watch the entire video and you'll understand more about this, if you make simple errors from not watching the video I will simply tell you to properly watch again and listen!
TOOL ETA: Don't ask, it's a complicated tool that needs a lot of maths, safety features and etc
TOOL SO FAR:
EBa_eq9XUAMnNN5

Tool functions: Android, Custom Android user data, 8GB Android install, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Swap, EmuMMC and Lakka dynamic setup.
Planned functions: Multi EmuMMC setup, EmuMMC Backup & restore(including Nintendo folder) + More unique management stuff!

UPDATE: I'm currently setting aside the tool until I finish making & releasing my new modchip

Last edited by TariqSoftDev,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I get about 17-19 MB/s on the card I just linked (writing NSPs), but I think the laptop I use is the bottleneck. Seems like it's a good value for the switch, but if you are willing to pay a premium, you could push for faster. I think I will upgrade the card when prices drop again. But so far I am having a good time with it.

This is a review of the specific card. It's said that Nintendo recommends cards with a read speed of 95mb/s, but I don't yet know its potential:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sandisk_ultra_400gb_microsd_review-news-30656.php

Sequential is good, and random is bad. For game performance, it ought to be good. Maybe for some OS aspects, it could leave room to be desired for.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: lordelan

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know that this is just more than $30 more expensive, but I swear by this. It's your best value of GB/$ and it's a lot to work with if you are thinking about multi-boot/emu-firmware

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-400G...s=400gb+micro&qid=1565283736&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Well atleast for my case I only plan to run Android and a stock SwitchOS, no CFW of any kind and currently I have 32gb card in that isn't even half full since I buy all my games physical sans Smash and Indies.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sounds like you wouldn't be disappointed with whatever you get, as long as it's bigger. Perhaps UHS-3 is the best option, in general... but depending on the brand/line the benchmarks go all over the place. For example, the Sandisk UHS 1 has comparable rates to the Samsung Evo UHS 3. If you are interested in researching, there is a ton of info.

D

Deleted-172301

@TariqSoftDev So I’m still waiting on my emmc chip. Do you think this tool you are making could write directly to the EMMC as well? I haven't taken the time to review how to repartition the EMMC, but in windows it looks like you can mount some emmc partitions and write to them. Wonder if this could be tied in. I’m going to experiment with booting android off the emmc itself eventually.

Last edited by ,

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@TariqSoftDev So I’m still waiting on my emmc chip. Do you think this tool you are making could write directly to the EMMC as well? I haven't taken the time to review how to repartition the EMMC, but in windows it looks like you can mount some emmc partitions and write to them. Wonder if this could be tied in. I’m going to experiment with booting android off the emmc itself eventually.
I don't really have the money to be experimenting with larger EMMC chips; if people really want that(even ubuntu off EMMC), if I ever do then I'll write up a guide how to do it although I'll prolly make a cheap box in which you can plug the EMMC in and then R/W on it.

If this is another feature anyone would want I'll make a EMMC PCB with sockets.

D

Deleted-172301

I don't really have the money to be experimenting with larger EMMC chips; if people really want that(even ubuntu off EMMC), if I ever do then I'll write up a guide how to do it although I'll prolly make a cheap box in which you can plug the EMMC in and then R/W on it.

If this is another feature anyone would want I'll make a EMMC PCB with sockets.
Hmmm, I was thinking that this could be done from the switch itself.
Check this guide out - Https://pascoe.pw/2018/09/switchnand.html

I think you can mount the EMMC from Hekate?

I only ask about this because I’ve ordered a 256gb EMMC chip that I plan to play with.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: lordelan
D

Deleted-172301

Mhmm I knew that method already; I'm just a weirdo who likes niche things that can be done better. :D
Hah. Yeah I would probably buy an emmc reader too just to make it easy to write to. Just wanted the chip in hand first. It came from east asia lol. Delivery is by freight so I’ve been patiently waiting.

I want to see what it would take to boot android off the emmc and I haven’t gotten a chance to edit the boot.scr for android. Do you think that would be enough?

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hah. Yeah I would probably buy an emmc reader too just to make it easy to write to. Just wanted the chip in hand first. It came from east asia lol. Delivery is by freight so I’ve been patiently waiting.

I want to see what it would take to boot android off the emmc and I haven’t gotten a chance to edit the boot.scr for android. Do you think that would be enough?

Yepo yepo.

Reactions: Deleted-172301
D

Deleted-172301

Awesome. Well I can definitely be the guinea pig for a program that writes to the EMMC. :creep:

drbraun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
has anyone run into the issue where android-16gb.img is unreadable by peazip? racking my brain here trying to figure this one out

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
has anyone run into the issue where android-16gb.img is unreadable by peazip? racking my brain here trying to figure this one out
May be a corrupt image or so.

You say you got a 16GB card right?, if you want to help me with some testing on my program lemme know and I'll PM you my Discord

drbraun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
May be a corrupt image or so.

You say you got a 16GB card right?, if you want to help me with some testing on my program lemme know and I'll PM you my Discord
I have a 512gb card, following your video i was gonna resize later. the issue seems to be peazip cant see the partition images to extract. tried extracting from the 32bg image as well with no luck

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thx. :) Already PMing with him to do some tests whenever he wishes for.
Anyways soon the need for a single massive card will be gone(working on something fun for switch hardware :D )
That got my attention. Don't tell me you're working on a way to have two SD cards in the Switch and a switch (lol) to jump between them between every boot because that's exactly what a friend of mine and me were looking for when Switchroot Android came out but the only kind of adapters we stumbled upon either were not flexible (so a long plastic bridge would stand over the edges of the Switch's housing) or it was only an adapter to use multiple SIM cards and one micro SD card inside a mobile phone slot. :D

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thx. :) Already PMing with him to do some tests whenever he wishes for.

That got my attention. Don't tell me you're working on a way to have two SD cards in the Switch and a switch (lol) to jump between them between every boot because that's exactly what a friend of mine and me were looking for when Switchroot Android came out but the only kind of adapters we stumbled upon either were not flexible (so a long plastic bridge would stand over the edges of the Switch's housing) or it was only an adapter to use multiple SIM cards and one micro SD card inside a mobile phone slot. :D
You are definitely going to love my mod :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...