Setup Guide for EZ Flash II Powerstar

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by hunter291, May 28, 2011.

May 28, 2011
  1. hunter291
    OP

Member hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    I got an EZ Flash II Powerstar today. I only want to use it for the Boktai Games and Pokemon Emerald. Lets say that my EZ Flash is totally clean, nothing was done with it (except for charging) what steps do I need to do ? The FAQ for the EZ Flash doesn't really help me. I need every small information. What loader do I need to flash ? Which software ? How to flash games on it (the perfect way [​IMG]) and other things [​IMG] I will be very happy for every small piece of information. Thanks

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    If your on a windows 7 x64 system you will be using my VM guide to set up your EZ-Flash II PS. 3rd link in sig.

And yes it does work, in post 5 I have a EZ-Flash II PS working under VM.

3. hunter291
    OP

Germany
    thanks for the link, I will surely save it for later use, but that is not my problem. I have a few questions after installing the ez client like what is SMS ? What do I have to enable/disable for the best compatibility ? Why does my EZ Flash skip to 2017 when I insert 2011 as the date ?

The only games I want to use on it are stated above, but I have many problems with them. I have the 512Mb one, which should be 64 MB. The games all together should be a bit less than 64MB. When I add Boktai 1, 2, 3 and Pokemon Emerald to the List, only Boktai 1 and 2 will be added. Boktai 3 and Pokemon Emerald simply vanish from the list and aren't on the card. Boktai 1 doesn't start (just a black screen). Only Boktai 2 runs and everything works. What is the problem ?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    SMS is savegame management system- as the EZ2 has no NAND memory or equivalent everything stays in the SRAM until it does not and that is just a way to back it up to the NOR memory (I never quite figured out how they dodged the FILO problem but that is a different discussion). I would disable it myself until such time as you find a reason to have it.

As to your other problems that is very odd- make sure you have proper versions of the games- both 1 and 2 (albeit different regions) got redump patches at various points.
    The vanishing list thing is something I have seen before but never quite pinned down. I am tempted to call something like a same name issue but it looks like the internal names are BOKTAI, BOKTAI2 and BOKTAI3. I only have a 32 meg card here so I can not add them all at once- I did however get the first game to work and set the time in game, it might just be a menu thing but the time seemed to hold.
    The second also worked.

I then tried with 3 and emerald- seemed to work as well

What to disable- under system config uncheck remove intro- it is just the simple remove intro method and later ones needed proper patching out (it might have been what happened here).
    Other than that it should be more or less all sorted in house aside from any hacks you might want to apply (this does seem to include boktai games solar sensor) and the classic nes/famicom mini and co series.

As for the time thing you seem to have hit upon a bug- I tried setting it to midnight end of 2009 but it just made the date thing garbled. It seems to work for games though (set the time in boktai 1 and it held for 2) so it looks like it is limited to the loader.

5. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The date and time that shows up in the flashcart is not really important to the games. since the games keep track of time passing in seconds and is recorded and read to and from the save.

The only thing you really need to know about the SMS is that istead of dumping a 2MB save file with all the saves wadded together from every game you loaded on the EZ-Flash II PS, you can extract the save for a particular game to your comp.

6. hunter291
    OP

Germany
    Thanks for the help you two. Somehow, after some time, the "vanishing games" in the list can be added. So I tried it again and now the games are on the card [​IMG] The only problem I have now is Boktai 1. Seems like I have to use another dump. But everything else works now. Thanks

I tried to find the problem of Boktai 1. Seems to be the solar sensor fix. Without it, the game runs fine. I tried the one from Prof 9 and some others that I found on the internet. Every time a black screen. I am using the EUR Rom. Anyone got that one to work ?