Setting Up Partitions for emuMMC with Hekate5.0/NYX

Warning!

By following this tutorial you will format your SD card, deleting everything that is saved on it.
Make sure to backup the contents of your SD card beforehand.
Also formatting the wrong drive (PC drive) will mess things up big time.
Make very sure that you know which drive is you SD Card!

This is not a comprehensive emuMMC tutorial, i'm pretty much just covering the partition setup.

* connect your SD card to your PC

* press WIN+R and type in diskmgmt.msc then hit OK

* locate your SD Card and delete all partitions on that disk (should only be 1 partition)

* right click on the SD card and select "New Simple Volume". click next untill you can define the size of the volume.

* Take the suggested numer and subtract 29828. use the resulting number as the size for the volume and create it.
You will end up with one partition at the beginning and unallocated space at the end.

* right click the unallocated space and select "New Simple Volume" click next, leave the suggested size, next, next, select "Do not format this volume", next, finish.

* now we have our 2 partitions, but we still need to format our first partition to FAT32 using guiformat

* right click the guiformat exe and select start as administrator (not sure if necessary)

* under "Drive" select the first partition we just created (use Drive letter for orientation), select 32768 allocation size, quick format checked and hit start.

* DONE

Place all your atmosphere/hekate/NYX files onto the first partition, as this partition will be your regular SD card. The second partition will become your emuMMC.
Boot into Hekate5.0/NYX select emuMMC > Create emuMMC > SD Partition > Continue

Rimaahkehs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Warning!

By following this tutorial you will format your SD card, deleting everything that is saved on it.
Make sure to backup the contents of your SD card beforehand.
Also formatting the wrong drive (PC drive) will mess things up big time.
Make very sure that you know which drive is you SD Card!

This is not a comprehensive emuMMC tutorial, i'm pretty much just covering the partition setup.

* connect your SD card to your PC

* press WIN+R and type in diskmgmt.msc then hit OK

* locate your SD Card and delete all partitions on that disk (should only be 1 partition)

* right click on the SD card and select "New Simple Volume". click next untill you can define the size of the volume.

* Take the suggested numer and subtract 29828. use the resulting number as the size for the volume and create it.
You will end up with one partition at the beginning and unallocated space at the end.

* right click the unallocated space and select "New Simple Volume" click next, leave the suggested size, next, next, select "Do not format this volume", next, finish.

* now we have our 2 partitions, but we still need to format our first partition to FAT32 using guiformat

* right click the guiformat exe and select start as administrator (not sure if necessary)

* under "Drive" select the first partition we just created (use Drive letter for orientation), select 32768 allocation size, quick format checked and hit start.

* DONE

Place all your atmosphere/hekate/NYX files onto the first partition, as this partition will be your regular SD card. The second partition will become your emuMMC.
Boot into Hekate5.0/NYX select emuMMC > Create emuMMC > SD Partition > Continue
Doesn't it do everything itself like in SX os I mean where you don't have to make partition using pc

Rimaahkehs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
And one other question what does you mean by suggested number in step 5 it would be if you explain that step a little thanks for your time and effort

ErnieBall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And one other question what does you mean by suggested number in step 5 it would be if you explain that step a little thanks for your time and effort

when you create a new volume, it will ask you what size the volume should have. by default it will show the maximum usable space. Thats what i mean by suggested number.

Beetlebum89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ernie,

Thank you for this. I followed these steps but can’t see a way to launch into emummc.

Click Launch gives me:
No main boot entries found

And more configs gives me:
No .ini or boot entries found

Any ideas?

Eliastik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi Ernie,

Thank you for this. I followed these steps but can’t see a way to launch into emummc.

Click Launch gives me:

Any ideas?

You need to create a file named hekate_ipl.ini in the bootloader folder on your SD Card, with this content (I tested and it works well) :
Code:
[Stock]
fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1

[emuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin

If the file already exists add this content at the end of this file.

Last edited by Eliastik,
Reactions: ErnieBall

ErnieBall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi Ernie,

Click Launch gives me:

Any ideas?

I ran into the same issue, but it has to do with basic Hekate / Atmosphere setup. To be honest, i don't really know what is missing here,
but i think something is missing insinde the bootloader folder. This is probably an easy fix for anyone who has more experience with setting up atmosphere.

However!:
It did work for me, when i used Kosmos. I just created a package via https://www.sdsetup.com/console?switch and used those files instead.

EDIT: just saw the reply by Eliastik , that is probably the better advice

Last edited by ErnieBall,

alba93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks for your tutorial
what is the aim of having 2 partitions on the SD card?
Only one partition for emunand isn't sufficient?
i mean : clean nand + emunand on the SD card

ErnieBall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thanks for your tutorial
what is the aim of having 2 partitions on the SD card?
Only one partition for emunand isn't sufficient?
i mean : clean nand + emunand on the SD card

You can also use file based emuMMC, which wouldn't require a separate partition, but it's not optimized and the devs don't recommend using it.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when we create the second partition, the size is 29827? My card is 30435, so when i remove 29828 it leaves me with 607 for partition 1, and the second partition can only be 29827.

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a question...Once I've created and booted into emuMMC, I notice that all my installed games would tell me to redownload them when I try to launch them...Do I need to reinstall all my games?

Edit: Looked into the emummc.ini file in the emuMMC folder on my SD and realized it was redirecting to the nintendo folder inside the emuMMC folder...editing the pathway to nintendo folder on the root of SD instead seemed to solve my problem.

Last edited by hiroakihsu,
Reactions: possessedlaptop

KnightRiderX420

The Anigmatic Anomoly
Trophies
Website
www.beyondwindows10.com
XP
Country
United States
can you use exfat instead of fat32? i am too new to splitting stuff

I have no issues otherwize bith cfw emunamd and stock firmware load fine and also i installed incognito on my cfw emunand but kept it on my stock fw i am able to browse shop without issues and then goto emunamnd and play rom switch back and no ban so far I used the atmosphere kip method i found that allows incognito to write to prodinfo you just have to load fusee-primary after setup hekate wont work but you can also load hekate and choose payloads and load fusee from there or even use payload launcher in hb menu... so now if i want to use youtube i use stock fw otr even if i wanna seee upcomming games and if i wanna play a rom i use cfw not cfw(emmnamd disabled) for obvious reasons.... this seems ideal so far i wonder how lomng my unbanded switch wil last.... the emunand prodinfo is 0000000000 and the stock one loads the original as i canstill check for updates too... if it kept the 0000000 it wouldnt even connect to the servers... YaY :)

Last edited by KnightRiderX420,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

There is usually a better alternative to splitting files. USB installs of large games don't need it if that's what you think that's why you need exfat. Fat32 is stable. Exfat, not so much (on HB Switch).

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This method didn't work for me. I had to manually create and format each partition as FAT32 using another external program. Tried numerous times using Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with the built in Disk Manager. Hekate refused to work unless the emuMMC partition was formatted.

Your post is also a copy and paste from Reddit.

Last edited by cots,
Reactions: Rahkeesh

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have no issues otherwize bith cfw emunamd and stock firmware load fine and also i installed incognito on my cfw emunand but kept it on my stock fw i am able to browse shop without issues and then goto emunamnd and play rom switch back and no ban so far I used the atmosphere kip method i found that allows incognito to write to prodinfo you just have to load fusee-primary after setup hekate wont work but you can also load hekate and choose payloads and load fusee from there or even use payload launcher in hb menu... so now if i want to use youtube i use stock fw otr even if i wanna seee upcomming games and if i wanna play a rom i use cfw not cfw(emmnamd disabled) for obvious reasons.... this seems ideal so far i wonder how lomng my unbanded switch wil last.... the emunand prodinfo is 0000000000 and the stock one loads the original as i canstill check for updates too... if it kept the 0000000 it wouldnt even connect to the servers... YaY :)

when I run the fusee-primary, do i need to have any config files setup to boot into emuMMC or will it do that as default? I do not want to boot into eMMC with CFW at all.

Last edited by KazoWAR,

Qubarf

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I created the EmuMMC but how do i boot it through hekate?
Putting the 'ipl' file in bootloader directory results in just being deleted everytime i boot using hekate?!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: